I want to eat...help

Olive328
on 6/17/16 6:24 pm
VSG on 04/05/16

Hi all...I must be doing something wrong. Just turned 2 months post op on June 5th, and i have def started "grazing", nutritionist told me I could try anything now, but still wants me on only 2 protein shakes, one for breakfast, one for lunch and then a 2-3oz dinner, no snacks,  BUT by the time I get home I'm so hungry, so I've been picking at things, and I'm def able to eat more than 2-3 oz. I've seen where people state they can't eat that much or they feel full right away, I don't feel that way unless I'm drinking my water. I've also noticed minimal loss lately. Today I had a shake for breakfast, coffee with 1% milk, 1/2 bag of Quest protein chips (cause I didn't want the shake), dinner I had tuna with mayo, roughly 2.5ounces, then took some bites of watermelon.  I still want to eat :( I also started adding regular coffee this week, could that trigger wanting to eat?

Kelly L.
on 6/17/16 6:45 pm

Acid can mimic hunger or nausea.   Are you on a PPI?   Coffee could be increasing the acid in your sleeve.   It doesn't seem like you are eating that much, are you logging your food in myfitnesspal so you will know your calories, carbs, and protein?  It's helpful to know if you are eating enough.

Olive328
on 6/17/16 7:26 pm
VSG on 04/05/16

I take a pill every morning for acid. I did notice once I started the regular coffee since Tuesday I was more hungry. I'm not logging anything, when I asked my nutritionist on Monday she said as long as I'm sticking to the 2 shakes, one 2/3oz meal and my water, that I don't need to track anything. I don't feel very informed at the sessions, they rush you. She told me to follow this for another month but it's getting harder for me.

hollykim
on 6/17/16 7:37 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On June 18, 2016 at 2:26 AM Pacific Time, Olive328 wrote:

I take a pill every morning for acid. I did notice once I started the regular coffee since Tuesday I was more hungry. I'm not logging anything, when I asked my nutritionist on Monday she said as long as I'm sticking to the 2 shakes, one 2/3oz meal and my water, that I don't need to track anything. I don't feel very informed at the sessions, they rush you. She told me to follow this for another month but it's getting harder for me.

but you arent sticking to the plan she gave you, so tracking might help.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 6/17/16 6:50 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Some of what you're feeling might be head hunger which is a pain in the ass to work thru, or you could be producing too much acid. Acid mimics hunger & you may need a ppi or a different one.

The shakes really aren't filling & I wouldn't blame you for being hungry, unless you're having problems with your digestion system you might want to ease back on the shakes & up the dense protein, but if it's what your Dr wants, I'd have a talk with him & ask why stay on the shakes.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Olive328
on 6/17/16 7:29 pm
VSG on 04/05/16

I do take an acid pill, not sure it's doing its job. Nutritionist told me I had to do the shakes for another month or so. What exactly is dense protein?

hollykim
on 6/17/16 7:39 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On June 18, 2016 at 2:29 AM Pacific Time, Olive328 wrote:

I do take an acid pill, not sure it's doing its job. Nutritionist told me I had to do the shakes for another month or so. What exactly is dense protein?

dense protein is beef, chicken,pork, fish, eggs

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 6/18/16 12:20 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

It's just what Hollykim mentioned beef, fish, eggs etc. I'd ask your nutritionist why stay on the shakes. You won't feel any restriction with shakes & they won't fill you up either, you might be far enough out from surgery to not really need to rely on the shakes anymore, but every plan is different. Make them make time for you, you shouldn't feel rushed in your sessions.

It could also be the carbs. Carbs for me makes me hungry & I end up craving more. Watermelon is simple carbs & can be triggering you to eat. For me snacks are cheese sticks or meat or tuna packets etc. That helps me to not graze/snack during the day.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

seabexlose
on 6/18/16 9:59 am
VSG on 04/12/16 with

You might try taking the acid pill at night...that is what my doctor's office recommends. I also recommend tracking, because even if you are on a very specific plan, it builds good habits for when you have more freedom in your diet. 

I am two months post-op and have had occasional true hunger.  It's usually when its truly time for me to eat something.  Stick with proteins at those times.  I am capable of eating more than just 2-3 ounces at a time, but still try to stick with dense protein as that will satisfy me most quickly.

Donna L.
on 6/17/16 7:31 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I did not experience physiological hunger until 9 months out.  If you're hungry it could be head hunger as was mentioned.  You say you want to eat.  Wanting to eat is not the same as being hungry.   Hunger is a physiological state.  Wanting is a psychological one.  It could be acid or head hunger as was mentioned.  It can also be thirst.

Capacity is not necessarily more than 3 ounces.  When we overeat with the VSG, its more likely the food "sits" in the esophagus.  Our sleeves are typically smaller than DS patients sleeves (though not always).  The part of the stomach which stretches is called the fundus.  The stomach is dissected so that this is almost entirely removed.  The reason we must be aware of this, is because it's possible for the esophagus to stretch and distend.  It's far better to measure even long after we have restriction.

I can easily eat 1.5 cups (by volume) of food now, but I always eat 1 cup by volume or less, because everything is measured.

Watermelon is high in sugar.  Sugar stimulates insulin.  Insulin stimulates hunger.  If you are very insulin resistant, it may be stimulating your appetite.  I feel full immediately with 3 ounces of protein, but I can always overea****ermelon and fruit.  We are all different in that regard.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views