9 year Surgiversary

Lori C.
on 7/10/16 2:30 pm, edited 7/11/16 11:28 am - San Jose, CA

I just wanted to check in and celebrate 9 years since my surgery today.  I want to thank my doctor for doing an excellent job and God for blessing me with good health.  Today I'm 183.  My low was 170, my ideal is 174-182lbs.  I just read my 6 year post op post and I was 193 so long term maintenance is good.

I still think this is the best decision I've made for myself but I can't make that decision for everyone.

I don't want to discourage anyone from getting the surgery but I do feel the need to bring up an issue I experienced after the surgery.  I developed a drinking problem.  I have a genetic history of alcoholism and started dating an alcoholic  a couple of years after surgery so many factors contributed but when I sought treatment the psychiatrist said he found it interesting that he had seen a lot people who had bariatric surgery come through treatment.  He didn't know much about it so didn't say there was a correlation but still found it curious.  It could be that people don't realize how many bariatric patients exist but I wanted to bring it up as a consideration for those who are prone to addiction.  It just reenforces the point that no alcohol after surgery is a good rule to stick to.

Anyway, I would have the surgery over and over without hesitation.  I know my weight was only going to increase and my health would've gone downhill.  My quality of life is much better.  I wish all who are struggling or have struggled with weight the very best.  Peace and love.

Lori

(deactivated member)
on 7/10/16 4:15 pm

Congratulations on your long term success! That's pretty awesome. That's really what this is all about - keeping the weight off. 

Cross addiction is very common among bariatric patients. Statistically a majority of people in recovery at some point have cross over addiction issues. I really had issues with over spending the first year after reaching goal. Got that in check and really had to focus on my disordered eating then. It's a tough road. 

Thanks for sharing your difficulty. There is nothing wrong with being armed with information going into this process. This journey is not all rainbows and Skittles!

diane S.
on 7/10/16 4:32 pm

YAY FOR you and congrats on multiple successes. Stay in touch.   Diane S. 6 plus years

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

mylastchance
on 7/10/16 6:06 pm

Nice Check in.....and wow, 9 years.  Great job.   Good maintenance after all these years. 

I feel fortunate that I never experienced a cross addiction.  I hope you have it under control.  I too would do this surgery over and over if necessary.  My quality of life is also much better and happier. 

This was the best thing I did for me and it turns out it is the best thing I did for my family too, because I had pretty much checked out of any activities and now I am joining in with them. 

Keep up the great work.

"I COULD HAVE MISSED THE PAIN BUT I'D OF HAD TO MISS THE DANCE"
             I have missed too many dances in my life now it is time to start living
5' 1"

Dcadaval
on 7/11/16 10:52 am
VSG on 06/20/16

Thanks so much for sharing, this is a great testimony for those of us beginning the journey as well.  

Age: 43. 6' 1" HW 413 lbs. VSG on 06/20/16 at Jackson South w/ Dr. Jacobsd

cappy11448
on 7/11/16 10:57 am

Wow.  Thanks for posting.  its so good to hear from someone 9 years out and doing well.

Congratulations on your success.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

McLassie
on 7/11/16 11:19 am
VSG on 07/25/16

Thanks for your honesty. Alcohol addiction is something that concerns me. My surgeon told me point blank that many bariatric patients become alcoholics post-op. I definitely did a lot of binge drinking in my 20s and have enjoyed wine at least a couple times a week now that I'm in my 30s, but since I've started the pre-op process I've cut WAY back. Now I can see how much my friends drink. I have friends who drink wine EVERY SINGLE DAY OF THEIR LIVES. Even in the height of my drinking I didn't drink every day. I still hang out with them but it seems gross to me that they drink so much. Last night we were hanging out and I could smell the wine. Yuck! I hope I keep that train of thought after surgery. Awareness does help, so thanks for sharing your story!

Grim_Traveller
on 7/11/16 1:08 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Congratulations on the 9 years. And thanks for the alcohol warning. It makes me so sad when I read a new post op's question about when they can resume drinking. I wish they could all read your post.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

j-marie
on 7/13/16 6:53 pm - Australia

Congrats.

Could you please share what you eat.

I am nearly 7 years out and need help with diet and exercise. 

Thanks

J-Marie

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 63 views