How long for insurance approval?

MammaKathy
on 7/16/16 5:11 pm

I just finished my six months of classes, three weeks of life skills, and got my cardiac and respiratory clearance! I am so excited. I see the doc for my final medical clearance next Thursday, and then they submit everything to insurance to wait for approval for my surgery.

How long before you got your approval and what insurance company? How long after your last appt was your surgery? I am hoping for a surgery date the end of the August.

Thanks!

White Dove
on 7/16/16 6:51 pm, edited 7/16/16 11:51 am - Warren, OH

Last appointment was n July and it took four weeks for approval.  Surgery was scheduled for December.  I got on cancellation list and was moved up to October.  Every insurance and surgeon is different.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

jesuiscrystal
on 7/16/16 8:37 pm - Urbana, IL
VSG on 07/12/16

My approval (Health Alliance - IL) came through in just under a week. I wasn't required to lose a certain percentage or have a waiting/observation period. I just had to have a BMI of 40+ and a referral from my PCP.

My surgeon required three things before surgery was to be scheduled: 1. Upper GI   2. Dietician consult   3. Psych eval

Once those things were complete, insurance was submitted and surgery scheduled. My initial consult was March 28th, surgery was July 12th. 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/16/16 9:25 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

From what people post here, the average seems to be two weeks between submission and approval.

In my case, I think it was just shy of two weeks to get approved. It took a week for them to schedule my surgery, and the actual surgery date was about three weeks past that. The office normally scheduled about 5 or 6 weeks out, but my mom was flying from out of town to help out and they wanted to make sure she could do that before the holiday airfare hike.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

cappy11448
on 7/16/16 10:29 pm

Once my paperwork was submitted, it took only a few days for approval. ( I called BCBS, and asked, and they told me it was approved.)  But it took weeks to send the letter.  In fact I didn't receive the approval letter until after my surgery.  So I'd suggest waiting a few days after the paperwork is submitted and then call to verify they received it, and ask how long it will take to get approved. 

My program scheduled my surgery before the insurance approval, as they had little doubt I'd be approved, so my surgery was within 10 after the approval came thru.

Best of luck with your weight loss journey.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Sunshine3k
on 7/17/16 12:18 am
VSG on 07/19/16

I have BCBS IL and I got approved in 1 week. I was able to have my preop appt with my doctor the next week and I go for surgery a week from my last doctor appt (which is this tuesday)! Once I got my approval everything has moved very quick! Good luck and I hope you can get approved and scheduled for surgery quickly! 

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 7/17/16 3:29 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I have UHC - it took 2 weeks for approval once they had everything in addition to an initial week of confusion when they weren't sure they did (so 3 weeks in total).  My surgery was scheduled 10 days after approval.  So after 6 months of visits with nutritionist, etc. the approval went quickly.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

MammaKathy
on 7/17/16 2:35 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies. While my insurance doesn't require weight loss pre-op, i have gained about 3-5 lbs. I am a little nervous about that.... Funny thing my hemoglobin A1c has gone from 9.9 to 6.9. I have worked very hard, and increased insulin, etc. I know it has caused me to gain weight. I can't have better blood sugars without eating better....but still have a little weight gain. I am praying they approve me. Did anyone else have this worry?

diane S.
on 7/17/16 3:15 pm

I am sort of an old timer and vsg was not covered as it was considered investigational. I appealed to the department of insurance and won so I think I was the first of Dr. C patients who got insurance to pay and maybe only the third in the state.  So it took me several months but once you appeal, they have to respond in certain times.   Check your policy as it should have provisions about timing. And don't be shy about calling and asking. I have Anthem California.  It varies greatly from state to state since insurance is for the most part not nationally regulated other than Obama care and medicare.    gl    love my 6.5 year old sleeve.   Diane s

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

SoCalDee
on 7/17/16 6:24 pm
VSG on 06/24/16

I had my initial consultation with the surgeon on April 21st and my surgery was June 24th. Could have had the surgery the 1st week of June but I had a 2 week vacation planned.

Blue Shield was awesome, super fast. I could not be happier with how everything went.

Good luck !

5'0 Heaviest 247.4 Surgery Weight 236.0  Goal 140

*Believe in yourself and you will be unstoppable*

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 73 views