Pain meds

Gladgrad
on 11/19/16 9:16 am

48 hours out of surgery. No real pain in hospital, but now I feel like a stabbing victim. They gave me liquid pain meds but they don't seem to do much. I have some percocet left from my lumpctomy, am tempted to take some.. I don't really have trouble eating my jello or drinking fluids though sometimes my stomach cramps up, which hurts and feels very weird. Mostly I'm just very sore at the entry points of the tools used for my surgery. Getting in and out of my tall bed, ouch. So any advice on the percocet?

VSG 11/17/16  down 18 lbs so far.

Hoping to rid myself of 100 lbs and health issues.

hollykim
on 11/19/16 9:37 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On November 19, 2016 at 5:16 PM Pacific Time, Gladgrad wrote:

48 hours out of surgery. No real pain in hospital, but now I feel like a stabbing victim. They gave me liquid pain meds but they don't seem to do much. I have some percocet left from my lumpctomy, am tempted to take some.. I don't really have trouble eating my jello or drinking fluids though sometimes my stomach cramps up, which hurts and feels very weird. Mostly I'm just very sore at the entry points of the tools used for my surgery. Getting in and out of my tall bed, ouch. So any advice on the percocet?

I personally would take the Percocet and it is important to take it as soon as you began to feel pain to stay on top of it.

White Dove
on 11/19/16 10:38 am - Warren, OH

Take the pain pills and sleep on a couch or recliner for a few days.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

psychoticparrot
on 11/19/16 10:45 am

What is it with these tall beds nowadays? I'm very short and practically need a step-ladder to get up on one.

Joking aside, a sturdy, non-skid step-stool could help you get in and out of bed without as much strain on your incisions and sore muscles. 

Keep going with the fluids -- they'll help you heal faster.

Get lots of this, too. --------->

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Neesie57
on 11/19/16 12:24 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

Take the percocet.  That is what my doc prescribed after my surgery, because it works better for me than most other pain meds.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

Gwen M.
on 11/19/16 12:55 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I would call your surgeon for advice before mixing the pain medications you have.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Donna L.
on 11/19/16 1:17 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Sadly, surgery will never be 100% pain free.  Having said that, if you are in so much pain you cannot do things or you feel like you are being stabbed you must call the doctor.  You must also take pain medications in advance of pain at regular intervals.  If you wait until you are in pain it is too late.

I agree with Gwen - call the doctor.  Many pain medications can suppress the central nervous system which could possibly be fatal in combined doses, as they have something called a half life which means they stay in your system long past their effects wearing off.  It may not - it depends what yours is.  However they can call in a different prescription easily if you need one.

As for the bed, I actually did use a step stool to get in and out of bed, but I am hideously short.  ;)

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

diane S.
on 11/19/16 4:34 pm

Well call your doctor for a better pain med. I had liquid vicodin which worked well and I didn't used much.

They have to blow some co2 into your abdomen to puff it up and make room for the surgeon to work laproscopicly. My surgeon puts an anesthetic in that gas so the first day or so there is minimal pain. But it wears off. That might be what happened to you. Again, call and demand drugs and I wouldn't advise taking any without call to doctor.  GL, it will pass.  I don't know if ice or heat would help your pain.  Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

(deactivated member)
on 11/20/16 8:12 am
VSG on 10/31/16

Take the pain meds as prescribed.  The longer you wait it is harder to control the pain.  I was given Gabapentin, Extra Strength Tylenol and a narcotic if I needed.  All of mine were in pill form.  I was given a binder to wear which is like a girdle that wraps around with velcro.  I am still wearing it because it really helps with pain.  If you weren't given one you may want to ask for one.  It really helped my pain when I rolled over in bed or when I coughed or sneezed.  Hoping your pain subsides soon. 

Tessa527
on 11/20/16 10:17 am
VSG on 11/15/16

My bed is quite high also.  I found if I get in on my hands and knees and then sleep with several pillows behind me helps quite a bit

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 255 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 321 views