4.5 years out! CONTRAVE??

jacreasy
on 12/13/16 12:04 pm
VSG on 04/23/12

Well its been a few years since Ive been on here. Life does get busy after surgery and you slowly stop logging on. However I am overall doing well I started off at 346 lbs and got to my maintenance weight of 163-165 at about 1.5 yrs. I had surgery on my left knee in October 2015 and couldn't continue my gym routine of 6 days a week 2/3 hours a day. So after not going for 6 months I kinda lost ALL motivation for the gym and gained 20 lbs. (I was still eating like I was going to the gym 6 days a week) Yep it happens. 

Fast forward.... Still haven't made it back to my gym routine and am still struggling with losing the gain of 20.  I started CONTRAVE today and will continue it to see how it will affect me. I have to say its suppose to help block the reciters in your brain for craving food and head hunger so far today I have ate Cheerios, small banana and almond milk for breakfast and 8 oz. pork shoulder for lunch. Haven't thought about anything else nor have I honestly been hungry. So we shall see.

My question is has anyone else tried this drug or has gained weight and is struggling at the moment?????

(VSG)  HW, 346 SW, 341 CW 176.2 GW, 165  kiss

Joshua H.
on 12/13/16 12:07 pm
VSG on 10/26/16

I tried Contrave and while it did help the physical hunger and joy of eating, it didn't fix my issue (which was in my head).  I could still eat everything I wanted, just to spite the Contrave (and myself).

Rachel B.
on 12/13/16 12:15 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

There are several of us working on regain. I got back 90 pounds.  I have so far dropped 23 in 2 mos using my tool.  I just had to get all the whites out, go back to the straight lean proteins and eat like post surg again.  My tool still works.  I had 67g of beef 3 hours ago and can still feel it.  I feel pretty good about that.  I realized that the biggest part of the diet that I had forgotten or lost was the support on these boards.  So I'm here everyday, and that makes a big difference.

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

(deactivated member)
on 12/13/16 12:44 pm

23 in two months is fantasti****ep up the great work! 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 12/13/16 1:31 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Hopefully the Contrave starts working well for you!

That said, it would be smart to drop the cheerios and banana, as well as anything else carb-heavy, in favor of dense protein.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

jacreasy
on 12/13/16 6:24 pm
VSG on 04/23/12

I pay close attention to my carbs and get at least 90 g of protein a day.

Donna L.
on 12/13/16 5:41 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Medication can help with biological impulses due to bad biochemistry.  However, counseling is typically better for long-term ha*****ange.

Contrave is two medications: wellbutrin, which suppresses appetite and acts like a stimulant (it is not a stimulant) and naltrexone which is an opiate blocker and blocks the pleasure centers of the brain.  I was on contrave briefly pre-op and felt it did squat.  It may be different for you.

The thing is, long-term ha*****ange is always what causes weight loss, regardless of procedure or patterns, and psychotherapy is the best way to accomplish that if you cannot do it on your own.  I went to counseling many years, myself.

No medication can force you to make good choices.  If you have a biochemical imbalance, like depression, it may help a lot though. :)

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

jacreasy
on 12/13/16 6:22 pm
VSG on 04/23/12

Yes thanks... I do know what it is and know a couple people that are on it and it has worked for them. I do know what needs to be done, just havent made the time to get back into the gym. It will always be a struggle I think no matter what you do. I have maintained the 20 but would much rather be -20 lol

sassy64
on 12/13/16 8:41 pm
VSG on 11/29/16

I took Contrave for several months and did not feel it did anything for me.  My insurance did not pay for it so when I decided it really wasn't helping, I stopped taking it.  I hope you have a better experience!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views