One year - Lost 230lb - But, need help!!

deno
on 4/24/17 7:51 pm

Hi folks

I had the year anniversary this month. I have lost exactly half of my weight. Went from 460lb (440lb on the surgery day) to 230lb. I have been doing very well so far; loosing constantly, eating very healthy, working out and having an active life ... atc. However, I have about a month I am dealing with huge hunger (physical and mind-hunger) .... and most of the time overeating. The weight loss has stoped, but I would love to loose another 30lb .... I am a little frustrated and don't know what to do. Any suggestion? Anyone has gone through this?

Thanks

Denis

NYMom222
on 4/24/17 8:13 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

First of all- Wow! Great job....

Second- Wow - cut yourself some slack... you just lost 230lbs in one year.

That being said there is something about the one year mark- and the getting closer to goal that makes it harder and slower. Right after my anniversary my weightloss seemed to come to a standstill...in 2-3 months I lost maybe 4 or 5lbs. I was panicked I wasn't going to make it to goal...I kept examining everything I was doing, and couldn't come up with any huge thing....then I started losing again.

It is important to stay focused. Come here daily if you can, read, contribute. I weigh myself daily...that way it helps me focus on what I am doing...if you have let too many carbs slip into your life- kick them out. They will increase your hunger. If you are having too many liquid or soft calories or soft slider protein kick them out as well and stick with dense protein first then some veggies.

We all go through hungry days and periods sometimes you have to ride the wave and sometimes you have to white knuckle the carbs out until the hunger subsides.

You can do this!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

deno
on 4/24/17 8:24 pm

Thank you very much for your kind words. Yes, it has been a great journey, can't complain about that. However, I would love to reach the ultimate lifetime goal of going less then 200lb.

Yes, it's true I am having more carbs, but I am not eating that much. In the other side, I am eating more protein-based high-caloric things like cheese, nuts and other stuff. So, practically I am not eating much carbs (although its more then when I used to eat), but I am definitely getting more calories. I know I have to cut back on calories, and I know I have to measure it ... but that is one problem .... the main problem as I mentioned is the hunger ... God, it's crazy ... I need to eat every 2 hrs.... **** That drives me crazy ... and food is more tempting now, can't really refuse it as I used to... huh!

Thanks again

D.

LosingSally
on 4/26/17 5:44 pm

I think I would eat every 2 hours if the hunger is that intense. That means high protein, low calorie veggies. I eat probably every 2-3 hours. I find at 10 years out, I am still very limited on amounts I can eat at once. But if I have cheese and turkey rollups, or a very small salad with chicken, or a low calorie wrap with meat and lettuce, it helps a lot. Dense fruit like apples and pears stay with you longer, so nuts, apple slices and cheese together may help. Just cook your protein then add any veggies to it, and eat until you are satisfied. If you stop as soon as you think, ok that's about enough, it will work. I sometimes think I want to eat a big plate of food, but I cant. When I feel I need to stop, I just do, because overeating makes me miserable.

I believe you can do this. Just make your food decisions before you feel you are intensely hungry, so what you prepare isn't a bad choice. Take your snacks or meals with you if possible, that will help you when you feel the need to eat.

White Dove
on 4/25/17 5:23 am - Warren, OH

The secret is learning to live without any white carbs. If you cut out the potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, flour, sugar and cereal and eat meat and protein instead all of that hunger will go away.

Your body will go back to weight loss mode. Your energy will increase and the number on the scale will go down again. Even a slice of toast or a few bites of rice or potatoes can get the hunger fire burning brightly.

Pre-plan your meals. Have plenty of meats available. When I prepare a steak, pork chops, chicken, fish or ham, I have small containers and put portions away for breakfasts and lunches the following days. I always have a container with cheese sliced into serving sizes.

I find the Food Saver system very helpful for me. I buy meats when they are on sale, then vacuum seal them for the freezer. I have food saver containers that let me vacuum seal my deli meats and cheeses so they stay super fresh.

I also learned to bake without sugar and flour. The internet is full of recipes with ingredients like ground flaxseed and almond flour. Mug recipes can be very tasty and give the same satisfaction as eating bread and pastries. They are a great way to get more protein from eggs and protein powder.

I was an ice cream lover. I purchased an ice cream machine with a built in compressor and turned my protein shakes into protein ice cream. I also discovered a sugar substitute called Whey Low. It is far superior to Splenda for making sugar-cakes, cookies, and candies.

You can continue to eat the "normal" way or you can learn to eat in a way that will let you stay slim forever.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Gwen M.
on 4/25/17 5:28 am
VSG on 03/13/14

When I feel physical hunger it tends to be from acid and two weeks of Nexium sorts it out.

It can also be due to bad meal times - can you reschedule your meals so that you're eating them when you're hungry? Or split your meals from 3 meals a day to 6 so that you're not getting hungry?

Are you seeing a therapist?

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 4/25/17 8:48 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

Congrats man. I'm at 11 years, and I'm hungry every few hours, too... I dont think that is necessarily a bad thing, so long as you bring in the right stuff.

Cheese is pretty high in calories vs protein, and for me it doesnt stay very long resulting in hunger.

My daily food is

B- 2 eggs (eat about 1.75 total, I never finish) or 4 pieces of center cut bacon

S- pouch of flavored tuna, theyre normally

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

deno
on 4/25/17 9:03 am

Chris,

Thanks man. Congratulation to you too. I jus****ched your youtube videos and you have done very good too. We did the surgery pretty much on the same time and we have the same body construct ... so it's interesting.

I already eat 5-7 times a day ... I try to eat healthy stuff, but I am worried that I am switching to the old and bad habits. On over one year I tried to fix my eating problems and restrain myself from the temptation ... but now, for some reasons I don't know, it's becoming more difficult ....

You think it could be something with acid? (although I do not have GERD at all)

D.

Grim_Traveller
on 4/25/17 10:29 am
RNY on 08/21/12

You've done great so far. But even though you're struggling, it is going to get even harder in year 2 and 3. Lots harder. So jump on this now, while you can.

Kick the carbs to the curb. Cut back on nuts and cheese. They are really calorie dense. And eat by the clock. 8, 11, 2, 5 and 8. Never in between.

That will give you an easy path. But the best thing you can do long term is weigh and log every bite you eat.

Good luck.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

missc_26
on 4/26/17 12:32 am
VSG on 10/03/16

Great advice Grim.

I've also found My Fitness Pal app really helpful for keeping myself on track with my food choices. Maybe give something like that a try to build your understanding of calorific value vs nutrients.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 66 views