In danger of not qualifying

Mirandia
on 10/3/17 10:30 pm
VSG on 03/14/17

Being a VET doesn't mean that they are always right. Frankly I think they jumped on the way a comment was made and failed to focus on the actual meaning. Getting 80% of your stomach surgically removed is kind of a big deal and not something that anyone should take lightly. That is a valid point to make. I agree that IF (stressing the word"If") it were me ... I don't think I would get the surgery if I weighed 203 pounds either. But if I weighed that much my BMI would be under 35 ... so I wouldn't even qualify. That's the whole point of all of us being different. Its also the reason I made the comment about not knowing this man's whole weight history ... that he might be at a low weight point that he might not be able to sustain. He's currently walking a tightrope ... lose to much and he might not be able to get the surgery ... but if he doesn't get the surgery all the weight could come back and making further weight lose that much harder for him later on.

If you fall down you just have to get back up.

birdiegirl
on 10/1/17 11:23 pm

Hi Don

Good for you thinking this thru and choosing to take control of your weight via VSG. I had surgery later in life too and understand what it's like to fight this beast for most of your life. I had surgery 8.5 years ago at 53yrs. I'm so glad to reach my 60'S at a healthy weight.

This website has helped me immensely and kept my head in the game. One thing I've also learned is to ignore those posters who can never admit that they were wrong or worded something inappropriately.

If it were me, I would pay attention to Sparkle kitty's posts as she has been there done that. Some pre-ops have good advice and perspective, some just have to be right.

Good luck

Notaboutperfect
on 10/2/17 12:01 pm
VSG on 11/08/16

Welcome!!

My BMI was 38, and since I didn't have co-morbidities (sleep apnea, etc) I was told insurance wouldn't cover. Then I started trying to "find" my co-morbidity which led to a confusing time of wishing I had more wrong with me. Of course, it was just a matter of time before health problems started and I knew I wanted to make this change before things set in. So, I went the self-pay route and have never regretted it for one minute (or cent).

These boards have a plethora of great advice and discussions covering everything pre-op, post-op, and well beyond. I find it most valuable as a daily reminder of the work I'm doing. Sometimes people say things without realizing how they may be received. In my psych eval the Dr. told me I looked too small for WLS. I didn't know what to say to that rather insensitive compliment. Overall, OH is drama free and a great support.

Donna L.
on 10/2/17 1:49 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Many people don't get how we shorter people basically get shafted for BMI. For us, 200 pound is still very obese and we suffer accordingly. I am 5'2" and I'd love to be 200 pounds, but I also know that is still a lot on our frames. We still have many of the issues people who weigh more have, and we often get them far sooner and far more severely.

Food for you for taking charge of your health, Don :) I think you will be very successful.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

jenorama
on 10/1/17 4:43 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

You might want to check with your program, but I have observed on these boards that a lot of programs will use your initial starting weight when they submit your paperwork. I think a lot of insurance programs require the supervised diet period in part to see if you can commit to a lifestyle change. Let's be honest, lots of us here can commit in the short term, but sticking with a change like that in the long term is very difficult. I can lose weight like a champ, but I suck at keeping it off which is where my RNY has made the difference.

Check with your team and stay your course.

Jen

Dbmac
on 10/1/17 4:51 pm
VSG on 10/11/17

Thanks Jen,

Medicare requires a minimum BMI of 35 and at least one co-morbidity such as Obstructive Sleep Apnea on the actual date of the surgery.

Like you, I can drop it very well, I just can't keep it off.

Don

5'3" 65 YO, Highest weight 245, Starting weight 238, Current weight 185.6

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/1/17 5:05 pm

Just be careful with adding fat on low carb diet.

When I do that - even now - I tend to get less hungry, and eat less and lose more weight.

To stop losing I need to add carbs, more natural healthy form - fruits and veggies.

Also remember that higher salt food can cause water retention. Every time I have Chinese (chicken with veggies, skip the rice) my weight can be 3-4 lbs up the next day.

I used to diet all my life, and worked very hard just to maintain being ,"obese.".. And like you the moment I relaxed my eating, the pounds would pile back on. .

Do what you need to do to get where you need to be. If VSG is something that would help you- go for it.

Before I had my WLS some of my friends commented that I was not big enough. They had no idea how much work it took for me to be the way I was. The moment I relaxed my eating and exercises- my weight got up to 255... ..

Good luck.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

MarinaGirl
on 10/1/17 5:08 pm, edited 10/1/17 10:09 am

In order to NOT lose more weight you may need to raise your calories over what you are currently consuming, especially to counter any loss from a liquid diet (if you have one) in the day(s) before surgery.

Mirandia
on 10/3/17 10:38 pm
VSG on 03/14/17

Actually once his surgery is approved he can lose as much weight as he can manage on the pre-op diet.

If you fall down you just have to get back up.

Gwen M.
on 10/4/17 7:09 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Different insurance companies have different requirements and some actually do require you not lose below a certain point pre-op. So this is not a safe claim to make!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views