OMG! Why can't I get off the toilet!!?

Gwen M.
on 5/5/18 6:48 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Then look at the protein sources - isopure is whey, bariatric advantage probably is as well. Premier is also whey.

Switch to a non-whey option and see if there is improvement.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

CC C.
on 5/5/18 6:52 am, edited 5/4/18 11:52 pm

I meant the Lactaid chewable tablets to help you process milk products, not the Lactaid milk.

Gwen is totally right. If you already have a problem with milk and use Lactaid milk in your coffee, the whey is likely the issue and you need a non-whey protein.

Krob78
on 5/5/18 6:55 am

I know! It's not the problem. I use lactaid in coffee and I drink it on its own and I don't have any issues. It's the protein. I've mixed it with water and I still have the problem. Even the clear protein causes me to live in the bathroom. Everything else is great. I drink normal and I am very hydrated. No pain at all. Just this!!

Surgery date 4/27/18 !!!

Krob78
on 5/5/18 6:56 am

Guess I'll need to go drop another crazy amount of money for something else I'll likely throw out! Grrrrrr

Surgery date 4/27/18 !!!

Jester
on 5/6/18 7:07 am, edited 5/6/18 12:08 am
RNY on 03/21/16

If you have a GNC near you I?d suggest going there. They will take back any product you buy for any reason. You may have to spend some money, but at least you will only have to spend that money if it works, otherwise you can get a full refund.

Amy R.
on 5/5/18 7:53 am, edited 5/5/18 12:54 am

I'm sorry you're dealing with this - especially right as you're getting ready to go back to work.

So a couple of people have mentioned that whey is the basis for probably a majority of protein shakes. It could be making you sick for a few different reasons but the fact is that it's not working for you and you'll want to explore other options.

I didn't know this when I was early out but there are protein powders that are not composed of whey. The two I know about are based on either pea or egg based protein. I believe there are also powders specific to vegans, so you still do have some good options. Hopefully you find one that will work for you. Edited to add: I see Gwen already gave many shake options. "Try protein powders from different protein sources. Options include hemp, pea, egg, and a few others. Try mixing with almond milk instead of cow milk". So there you have a whole list to work your way through. It's expensive, but many places offer samples if you ask. You can probably even buy samples online.

As early out as you are, and especially if shakes aren't being absorbed but are passing right through your body, you'll want to focus hard on staying hydrated. Dehydration can cause a lot of issues and can even contribute to nausea and such. You may want to consider giving your poor belly a break for a day or two and just concentrating on fluids. Hydration is more important than almost anything else right now.

Good Luck. I know you'll find something. But if for some reason you don't, try not to stress over it.

There are OH members who have never used shakes at all. I'm sure some of them would chime in if you were to start a thread on protein options early out for those who can't or don't do shakes. Also, you've probably already contacted them but your surgeon's office should have some ideas for you too.

Hang in there. These things have a way of working themselves out. =)

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/5/18 9:49 am

You may develop allergies to whey, or any chemicals they add to shakes, like i.e. artificial sweeteners.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Kristi T.
on 5/5/18 9:53 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

I'm so sorry Krob, you have had a tough go of it since day one! I just wanted to add that all of my "Nutritional Sections" of my grocery stores also have numerous samples of Bone Broth Protein Powder. I've seen them in all the specialty stores as well, just another option for protein. Hang in there, it will get better. Can you let the On-Call surgeon know how you are struggling this weekend instead of waiting until Monday?

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/5/18 10:05 am

Bone broth proteins is actually collagen type proteins. It is not a complete protein source. It can be used in addition to complete protein - like from eggs, dairy, meat, soy, etc.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Kristi T.
on 5/5/18 10:33 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

That's good to know, I have been seeing it everywhere!!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views