Watcha Eating Today, VSG'ers? Friday, August 24, 2018

Teresa G.
on 8/24/18 5:31 am, edited 8/24/18 5:45 am
VSG on 06/07/18 with

Good morning! I can't believe I'm first today...of course, waking up at 3:15 could put you ahead of the game. I'm heading home this afternoon after being gone since Tuesday morning. Learned some new things about packing my own food: 1) Don't over pack - I'll overeat! and 2) There CAN be too much of a good thing.

Anyway, it will be good to be home and get back into my routine. The legs have held up really well - YAY! I'm looking forward to deep water cardio tomorrow morning!

QOTD: When you?re having a bad day, what do you do to make yourself feel better?

Now that I'm trying to break the lifelong habit of self-soothing with food, it's a process to find something that makes me feel better when it's been a bad day. It used to be a nice glass (or 3) of wine, and a carb-coma. Or happy hour where they have 1/2 price appetizers. Or stuffing myself with sushi.

Now...I'm still searching. Mandela rock painting - though if I'm stressed I usually end up washing the rock off and starting over. Journaling - Yet another thing I need to be more consistent with. Shopping - It's becoming more and more enjoyable, but my pocketbook just can't support that habit! Going for a long walk - definitely hoping that my legs will let me do that more and more often! Swinging my kettlebells - I'm going to pick those back up this weekend. A good 20 minutes of that makes everything better!

I'm going to be driving most of the day, so my meals aren't going to be perfect.

B: Premier and coffee

S: Yogurt

L: Hillshire small plate, zuchinni slices, 1/2 avocado

S: Protein Shake

D: TBD - depends on where I am when I get hungry...hopefully I'll be home!

(edited to correct typos)

Teresa (WA State)

VSG on June 7, 2018 (At age 59)
Start of Program (1-1-18): 303 n Surgery Weight: 260 n CW (10-16-18): 203.4 n GW: 175 (first goal)

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 8/24/18 5:54 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Good morning - I have a break during the day today between company. Today I am helping decorate for DS's birthmom's wedding tomorrow and we have company coming to stay tonight for the wedding. Oh and going out to dinner for a friend's birthday. Whew!

QOTD: Good question as I always used food to self-sooth too (as many of us did). I used to also watch TV or read a book, but I find that I want to eat if I do that when I'm feeling down. Now I try to get outside in the sun if possible - go to the beach or take a walk. Shopping doesn't work as I don't like strolling stores when I'm down for some reason.

2 Years, 5 months post-op (maintaining below goal for 21 months)

Always lots of coffee...

B: eggs, cottage cheese and Canadian bacon

L: tuna salad, pickles and cottage cheese

D: Out to dinner - something plan worthy (don't know where we are going yet)!

S: deli chicken and cottage cheese

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

PCBR
on 8/24/18 6:16 am, edited 8/23/18 11:18 pm

Good morning, TessieLoo! Nice to see you kicking off the thread.

I?m happy it?s Friday, but it will be a busy weekend. Two bday parties and we are also looking to adopt a couple of kitties. I love this one rescue, so I?m sure we will find the right fit?if not this weekend, soon.

I?ve been a bit down this week, as my tummy seems to be normalizing. Foods that used to fill me for hours seem like they are becoming sliders and hunger is back (I?m remembering mersh?s words: hunger is not an alarm you need to respond to right away). I?m still happy for my tool, but I know that I?m going to have to exercise total mindfulness if I want success to continue..no more free rides where a shake or a cup of cottage cheese satiates me for 4 hours!

QOTD: Well, it used to be food. I admit that sometimes I still open the cupboard out of habit, only to think ?wait, the answer isn?t in here anymore!? Now, I will do some light cleaning or work on something on my to do list. Even if it?s just a very small thing, it feels like time better used.

~12-weeks out

B - coffee and premier protein

L - okay. So I didn?t make any food last night like I meant to. I will probably go to the salad bar and make a ?protein salad? (chicken, eggs, with some veggies on top)

D - Lunch leftovers

S - skyr or cottage cheese and fresh cucumber

HW: 260 - SW: 250

GW (Surgeon): 170 - GW (Me): 150

Lalagigi
on 8/24/18 6:22 am
VSG on 10/23/17

QOTD: Shoe shopping or just shopping, period. I am now a size 8-10 and having a ball with clothes again.

B: Chicken Creations packet. My first time trying this. Eww, too much mayo. I'll stick with the seasoned tuna packets.

S: Half container Oikos LF greek yogurt with 1/4 cup raspberries.

L: 4 oz pan-seared chicken breast with salad

S: Remaining yogurt and some almonds

D: Possibly Mexican, so probably sautéed chicken or shrimp with cheese and beans.

AnnieG522
on 8/24/18 8:53 am
VSG on 10/05/17

What a great question!

QOTD: When you?re having a bad day, what do you do to make yourself feel better? I journal; I crochet; I play with the dogs; I study. I cook for other people. I make things.....

B: 2 crisp bacon, 1 mountain sprout bread

S: 1 graham cracker w peanut butter

S: Premier Protein

L: Homemade beef jerky

D: Homemade spaghetti & meatballs w asiago

HW: 240 lbs CW: 205 lbs: SW: 199 lbs GW: 130 lbs
1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
5 MO = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0 (GOAL) 20 MO = 133
"At the evening of our life, we shall be judged by our love."

Melody P.
on 8/24/18 10:49 am - Amarillo, TX

QOTD: music is my biggest support. I know it may seem silly to some but it feels like such a relieving thing for me. I listen to lyrics I relate to or a heavy bass or drums. It just does something for my soul. I also do crafts and fiddle with my photography/post processing photos.

M1: two egg cups...made with kale, smoked ham and about a tsp of cheese on each. Oh and a small piece of bell pepper and onion in both...sooooo good!

M2: yogurt

M3: zucchini boat made with ground chicken breast, light alfredo sauce and mozzarella cheese. Small zucchini but had more chicken than it for protein

M4: powdered peanut butter with a tsp of sugar free blackberry jam

M5: another zucchini boat

M6: homemade chocolate fudge-sickle only 4 carbs and less than 30 calories!

i was kind of bad....hade some crunchy coated peanuts but I have been holding myself accountable. 5 crunchy coated peanuts.

(deactivated member)
on 8/24/18 4:41 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

Do you have the calorie breakdown for each egg cup?

MissCheri18
on 8/24/18 11:17 am - Daytona Beach, FL
VSG on 06/25/18

Hi All... Found out why after doing my endoscopy my hepatologist prescribed an Acid Reflux drug for me when I do not and have not had acid reflux. Seems those "abrasions" in my stomach were caused by Erosive Gastritis and the medication is to hopefully heal that up and prevent bleeding ulcers. So, that is good news another bad that we can hopefully fix.

QOTD: When you're having a bad day, what do you do to make yourself feel better? Typically I talk to God and kind of hash out how I am feeling with him.

Week 8

Water, water, water!

M1: Ocean Spray Diet Cran-Grape Juice

M2: Ham Omelet

M3: Apple Slices and String Cheese

M4: Cottage Cheese and Avocado

M5: Bean-less Chili w/Shredded Cheese

M6: Not sure

5' 2". 60-year-old (at time of surgery)

HW 239.9, SW 223

GW (Surgeon) 150, GW (Mine) 135

Cheri

(deactivated member)
on 8/24/18 2:55 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

I am so glad you found some answers and I hope the medicine works for you so you can feel better.

(deactivated member)
on 8/24/18 11:22 am
VSG on 01/12/17

Hey all. Just woke up a bit go to get all my stuff ready for work. I will likely take a nap a bit later as I always so since I wake up much too early for my shift. Though, I like having more of the day before work, rather than staying up later after work anyway.

QOTD: Like Liz said, self soothing with food was big for me. Probably big for most of us. I find I do still self soothe in a way, but no quite the same way. If it's not just a horrible day and I've given up eating anything at all, I will make my down mood feel a bit better with a cozy habit I have developed. I brew 6-8 oz of coffee in my Keurig, add about 3 oz of protein shake, OR just a serving of creamer if I'm high on protein. Add about a tsp of cinnamon, or nutmeg and stir real well and sip it. The act is very therapeutic for me.

Decided to be easier on myself for my weekend meals. I love having nice prepared meals, but at times I find myself (okay more than at times, let's try at least twice out of my three days) I am stuck in an observation with a patient, we call them 1:1 since it is just me and them together allll night. Some times during those it is really hard to get to eat when I need to. So, shakes and bars might be the go-tos for one of my meals on work nights.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views