Getting off track

Pobearsam7
on 4/5/19 3:22 pm

I will be 7 yrs post op in June

it is easy to get off track so I'm back to basics and gradually getting back on track, I'm checking in with the nutritionist and finding healthy and creative meals to eat

I'm also trying to find 30 mins day to exercise or walk

I'm curious to know how ppl stay on track especially with years post op

i am on my fitness pal if anyone wants to add me

Kellytacoma is my name on fitness pal

Kelly                

sun_shyne39
on 4/5/19 8:26 pm - NJ

Hi I will be 8 years post op in May, and as you said it can be very easy to get off track and fall back into old habits. One thing I am very fortunate for is that my restriction is still really good, and quite honestly it has gotten even better over the last 6 months (knock on wood). When I got off track I go back to the basic...proteins (lean meat, fish, turkey, chicken...no red meat), lots of fresh veggies/salads, and plenty of water. My down fall are sweets **** cream, cake, cookies, etc) so I know when I feel the extra fluff I need to lay off my favorites that are catching up to me. Also, in the morning instead of doing a full breakfast or breakfast sandwich I will do a protein shake, or smoothie with a protein shot. I also I like acai or pataya fruit bowls...that's like my little treat to myself when I can't have the other bad stuff. I do also exercise 5 days a week as I'm a zumba instructor so I gets alot of cardio through out the week. I suggest to start with the easy stuff first..modify your diet and continue to use Myfitnesspal.com. That app has become my best friend over the years. It truly holds me accountable, and keeps me mindful of when I'm really over doing it.

Let me know how everything goes. It's certainly not easy, but you can do it:)

sun_shyne39      
Pobearsam7
on 4/7/19 6:34 am

I'm using the app more these days

one of my obstacles is my job because I never know what time I get off which is frustrating because I want to make it to the gym in the morning evening to clear my mind

I'm also having sleep issues too since October I wake up In the middle of the night and I can't sleep. I'm on phentermine now since February which has helped with my weight going down.

Kelly                

CatLady3401
on 4/12/19 8:28 pm
VSG on 09/26/18

Phentermine is disruptive to your sleep, has a ooong half life and even if you take it first thing in the morning it will still be in your system at bedtime.

HW 382, SW 325, GW 165

SD 9/26/2018

pescetarian

Pobearsam7
on 4/13/19 2:31 am

Actually the medicine has not affected my sleep

I been having sleep issues before I took the medicine

I don't plan to be in the medicine long

Kelly                

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/6/19 7:27 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

From what I've seen here over the years, weighing and measuring your food is really the biggest key to success. Most, if not all, of the post ops who are 5- or 10-years out and have not had regain, or who have dealt with it successfully, log every single day without fail.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Pobearsam7
on 4/7/19 6:36 am

I have been doing much better since February with the food

I stick to baked or boiled meat and veggies

I stay away rom starches

Kelly                

Pobearsam7
on 4/13/19 2:33 am

I do agree portion control plays a big part of staying on track

Kelly                

Kathy S.
on 4/9/19 5:52 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Saying enough is enough and taking action is the hardest part. Good for you. Here is a list of basics that helped me, maybe it will help you too

Planning/Preparing

Remember when we were preparing for surgery? How many meetings, classes and such did we attend? We were told the more prepared we were the better our chances were for success. And they were right. Go through the house, car and work place and get rid of trigger foods. Stock up on foods that will keep you on track. I removed every bad carb/sugar temptation and replaced it with lots of protein, veggies, grains and fruits.

Journaling

Get back to journaling. This will help you identify when you feel like eating, stress factors and any triggers in your life. Once you identify these factors, this will help you put tools in place to keep you from eating. It became clear I was not taking time for me anymore. I worked my day job and then spent the rest of my time caring for my husband. It was easy to reach for fast, prepackaged food. Since I purged my home I have to eat clean as there are no other options LOL

Use a tool to track you're eating and exercise like Getting Started with Health Tracker. Once I started to track ever bite and drink it became clear why I had gained.

Goals/Rewards

Make a list of goals for yourself. Make them realistic and small. Some of mine were move more, purge all junk from my home, eat more protein. If you didn't make a Weight Loss Surgery bucket list when you first had surgery do it now. GREAT reminder of all the things you can enjoy in life after losing weight.

Food

In general, a long term post-weight loss surgery eating plan includes foods that are high in protein, and low in fat?, calories, and sugar. Important, vitamins and minerals are provided as supplements. (if you had a different surgery adjust this to your food plan).

Water

Water is our Best Friend. I have to say I never went back to pop or any bad drinks, however I was drinking tea like crazy. What is wrong with drinking tea? I was either using sugar or 3 equals and 3 sweet n lows per 32 ounce glass. I found once I started carrying one of the metal bottles of water to keep it cold I drank water all day.

MOVE!

I can't say enough about how key this was for me. The reason I kept my weight off for almost 10 years was no matter what, I kept moving. If I could not go to the gym I would walk. Grab a cart and walk all the isles at your local box store. I loved Zumba, bootcamp workouts, lifting weights. When I stopped, the weight started coming back. So for me I am starting slow to avoid injury by walking and using some of the workouts on my Demand TV. Find something you love to do and it won't feel like a pain in the *** to do daily.

Support

If it's an option "run" don't walk to a support group. Come here on OH daily for support and participate in one of the food threads. It helps you be accountable and also great ideas for food prep.

Keep me posted on how you are doing.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Pobearsam7
on 4/9/19 9:21 am

It's hard for me to attend meetings as my work schedule is very hectic at this time and it won't change unless I find another job

i have been exercising more since the weather broke

the winter turned me off from exercising, but I need to work on identifying other options during the winter time

i do appreciate your feedback and advice

Kelly                

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 66 views