Need advice please

elisadiel
on 11/4/19 6:52 am
VSG on 05/30/17

I'm 2yrs out and just a couple of bits I'm full to but I'm still gaining!!! I put my shake in my decaf coffee ( sweet and low and sugar free creamer)

160oz of propel water through the day just meat and cheese for lunch and dinner ( table spoon of peanut butter

TheWombat
on 11/4/19 7:53 am, edited 11/3/19 11:53 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

By "shake", do you mean a protein shake? Unless you're a vegan like me, protein powders and shakes should only be necessary for the first few months after surgery, when your caloric intake is severely restricted. After that, you should be able to get enough protein from your diet. I suggest replacing the protein shakes with something lower in calories.

I also suggest that you record everything you eat. Websites/apps like cronometer and myfitnesspal make this easy to do. (It gets much easier after the first few days because the foods you frequently eat will be easy to select.) Then, look at the foods you eat most often to see if there are changes you can make without feeling deprived. (I wrote more about this in your thread about pouch reset.)

Also, if you had a good dietitian post-op, it would be a good idea to visit him or her for more advice. If you walk into the appointment with a detailed list of what you've been eating, the appointment will be much more productive because they won't have to spend time asking you about your diet (and our memories of what we've been eating aren't that reliable anyway).

elisadiel
on 11/4/19 8:14 am
VSG on 05/30/17

Premier protein thank you!!!

DominicanOmar
on 11/4/19 8:17 am
VSG on 02/06/18

I also drink premier protein every single day with coffee, and It is not affecting me.

DominicanOmar
on 11/4/19 8:16 am
VSG on 02/06/18

When I started my VSG in Feb 2018 I was 280 lb, now at almost 2 years out I am at 161 lb. The trick that help me to this day is that I never eat to get full. What I mean by that is that I weight every thing I eat with a little $6 scale I bought at Amazon before my surgery. for Lunch and dinner I only put 6.8 ounces in my stomach for each meal, and for snacks around 1 or 2 ounces. I eat more than three times a day with the snacks included. I also weight myself every two days like that if I see myself going up in my weight I could fix it, but I have not had that problem. If you do not like going to the gym it is fine. You could just walk outside like I do. I average between 8,000 to 10,000 steps a day. I also do push ups everyday in my house. When I first started doing push ups, a year ago, I could not even do one, but now I do 40 in the morning, afternoon, and before bed. Please Please do not give up you got this, and if you take anything from this please just eat what fits do not eat to get full. Good luck.

elisadiel
on 11/4/19 11:26 am
VSG on 05/30/17

Thank you that is very helpful!!! I like the 40 push morning noon and night!!!

White Dove
on 11/4/19 8:55 am - Warren, OH

The first two years are called the honeymoon period. We lose weight effortlessly. After that comes the bounce back regain period. What happens is that the body realizes that we have starved it and it figures out how to get it weight back.

After year two, it is very hard to lose and very hard to just maintain. The calories that resulted in maintenance six months ago now result in regain.

The only way to lose and maintain now is to eat less calories than you burn. The first thing my nutritionist told me to do was stop drinking protein shakes. I then had to figure out how many calories a day I could eat without gaining. My goal weight is 136 and I maintain on 1400 calories a day.

When I go higher I gain. If I cut to about 800, I lose about one pound a week. I track my food and weigh every day. It does not get easier. It gets harder. I am either on a diet or gaining. Just like before surgery.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Mary Gee
on 11/4/19 10:14 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

A few thoughts/suggestions....

*Follow the basic daily guidelines:

Less than 800 calories

Less than 40 grams carbohydrates

At least 65 grams protein

At least 120 oz. water

*Pre-plan meals and vary menu.

*Weigh and measure everything.

*Log everything in myfitnesspal.com or some other app.

Personally, I couldn't last on your menu. I try to vary my meals a bit, without going crazy about it. For breakfast, generally a veggie omelette, or egg salad made with avacado or cottage cheese, or chaffles, or leftover meat heated with cheese if I don't want to go the egg route. Lunch is generally a salad with protein or meat/cheese roll-ups. Dinner is generally meat/fish with veggies. Snack is Carbmaster Yogurt with lite cool whip or cottage cheese. Lately I've been trying a few new recipes to change things up a bit so I don't become bored. I've been making batches of cauliflower fried rice, foil fish or chicken packets with veggies and cream cheese, etc.

It's great that you still have restriction. You don't mention your starting or current weight. Did you reach your goal? Are you regaining?

I haven't reached my goal yet. I was losing weight and doing well. Then I let outside issues/events get the better of me. I started at 380, and got down to 220. Then stayed there for about two years. When I saw I was gaining weight and reached 235, I realized I was in trouble. For several months I lost/gained 15 pounds over and over. I couldn't stay on track. I finally went back to my surgeon's office for follow-up. I'm going every month to see the nutritionist. After the first of the year, I'll cut back to every other month. I've reached Onederland finally.

Unfortunately, it's an ongoing battle. But I've accepted that fact. I may lose some battles, but I'm fighting to win the war.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Laura in Texas
on 11/4/19 10:31 am

Weigh and measure every bite and track it somewhere like myfitnesspal. At 2 years out it is easy to eat more than we realize.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

elisadiel
on 11/4/19 11:30 am
VSG on 05/30/17

My starting weight was 263 gw 138 made it for 3months then back to 145

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 71 views