New Member here

Paradiseldy
on 1/4/20 8:31 pm
VSG on 02/12/19

Hi my name is Lorraine and I'm on the Big Island of Hawaii. I've had my gastric sleeve last February and have lost 63 pounds thus far. I could have lost a few more but I went overboard 3 times and had to reset and get back on track again. My mind "thinks" I'm eating too little but in essence it's the correct amount. I dread the scale these days cause if there's a gain I start to feel down and that don't help. I haven't really done any formal exercise as yet due to having severe back pain and knee pains that have just started to ease up some. I plan to go to the gym to walk on the treadmill and start to go to the pool for walking in the water back and forth for 30 min. I know if I can incorporate this more weight can come off. I'm only 5 feet so i think another 25 pounds or so should do it for me. I started off at 225 at surgery day. Glad to have found this group. Hoping people of like minds would be a help when I'm stalled and get a few ideas for some easy fast recipes. Nice to meet you all.

Lorraine

White Dove
on 1/5/20 7:53 am - Warren, OH

In 2014, I purchased a Garmin Index scale on the day they started selling them. Having that smart scale has made such a big difference. When I get on the scale, I get my weight, my BMI, my muscle weight, my fat weight, my water weight, and my bone weight.

When there is movement up or down, I know what actually happened. I don't get upset if I gained two pounds of water. I do get upset if I gained fat. I am happy if muscle increased. I know what to expect from my dexa scans because I monitor my bone density every day.

I don't think that exercise helps that much with weight. For me the weight is determined by how much I eat. What exercise does is makes my body look much better. I do most of my exercise in the water. One girl at our pool lost 100 pounds and her only exercise was water walking for an hour a day.

The pool is an incredible place to exercise because you get the benefit of resistance from the water and you do not get pain like you would doing the same amount of exercise on land. I did buy a very good pair of water shoes when I started having knee pain from water aerobics. That was twelve years ago and my knees have improved a lot.

I get lots of support from this board. Even though you had VSG, you can post on the RNY daily menu thread. It will keep you accountable and give you ideas for meals. Hope you join us there.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

jmk187
on 1/6/20 1:28 pm
VSG on 02/13/19

Welcome to OH Lorraine. We had the surgery 1 day apart. I had it feb. 13th. 2018. I cant believe it's already been a year almost. While I am not as active as I was when I first joined because I got a job..I am still around and check in from time to time. I havent done any "formal" exorcise either..Before I started working in sept. I was walking about an hour a day. At least I tried to do it every day. I find it hard to motivate myself to "workout". But when I started working I got a job where I walk on average 15k steps, 5 days a week. Is it considered formal exorcise? I dont know..But its more active than I have ever been in my life. Anyways My goal is 220. I am roughly 5'9" so i know that I should roughly weigh 180-190...I have a hard time believing I will ever be that skinny though. But 220 was my goal I wanted to be in 2004 that I never was able to reach. I will be ecstatic to reach it...But I still wont stop my post-op lifestyle way of eating...If I lose anymore than 220..I will gladly welcome it!

HW-430

SW-372

Day of Surgery-347

CW-246

SuMari
on 1/7/20 3:33 pm

Aloha Lorraine! I am similar in some stats as you, (backpain) so no formal exercise plan (yet). dread the scale (Haven't had surgery YET) Glad to have found this website as well... trying to find somewhere I can fit in (other than any pair of my Jeans... am I right?!)

Do you have any surgery friends that are looking for a workout/accountability buddy? or incorporating something in a local support group? I just started going to one locally and they show low-impact ways to move before every meeting and it's been helpful since I suffer from fibromyalgia.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views