Acedding27’s Posts

Acedding27
on 12/11/17 4:19 am
Topic: RE: Whatcha Eating Today VSGers? Monday 12/11/17

Good morning! My kids have their state test the next two days and my surgery is Thursday so I'm a bundle of nerves this morning. I have to pick up 65 sausage biscuits and smell them the whole way to school, haha, so that'll be good practice in self control!

We just missed the snow. I can't believe I'm saying this (I live near Memphis, TN) but it was SOUTH of us! :-( I do love a good snow as long as I get to curl up inside and just look at it.

QOTD: I don't really do jewelry. I wear my wedding band and engagement ring most days and I love them, but other than that I'll just pair a funky necklace woth a dress sometimes. My dad, who passed away when I was 15, had a 300 ring that we all loved (bowling) but we agreed to let my younger sister keep it because she's more sentimental.

B: strawberry gnc shake and decaf coffee

L:premier chocolate

D: Quest vanilla with PBFIT

Broth and another shake at some point

Clear liquids tomorrow!

Acedding27
on 12/10/17 5:56 am
Topic: RE: Whatcha Eating Today VSGers? Sunday 12/10/17

Good morning! I missed yesterday because it was such a busy day! My nephew and I took a walk, and at almost 4 years old he thinks a 2 mile walk is great fun! We had a Christmas concert at my school, and they did a beautiful job. African Bell Carol was my favorite; they used drums from 4 different countries!

QOTD: Well, I asked for a new blender (for obvious reasons, haha) but DW bought me one a few days ago. Its a nice, glass jar Oster with 15 different settings. Thrilled me, honestly! I made an icee last night with sugar free pineapple drink mix and it was yummy!! So, other than that, maybe a BAM! Gift card or a new computer case. I also left a Harry Potter music box in our Amazon cart as a hint, so we will see! I'm surprising her with some WonderWoman merchandise that I know she will love. We are BIG nerds.

B: premier protein caramel and decaf coffee with splenda

L: AdvantEdge dark chocolate protein shake

S: Quest vanilla protein shake with tablespoon of PBfit powder

D: 1 cup of beef broth and a half serving of a quest shake with a sugar free popsicle

4 days to go!!!

Acedding27
on 12/8/17 3:55 am
Topic: RE: Whatcha Eating Today VSGers? Friday 12/8/17

Good morning! I PAID for my surgery yesterday!

I feel so blessed that my insurance approved it and that I only had to pay 20%. My DW saved over half of It from her extra job so I'm feeling particularly grateful right now. 6 days to go until the big day!

QOTD: I'm eccentric in my tastes, so we have a mish mash of older ornaments, dollar store ornaments, homemade ornaments, etc. We've never really followed a color scheme. If we did, I think I'd want something funky but simple....green/gold, pink/silver, etc.

B: premier protein chocolate

L: lean gnc shake rich chocolate

S: half a quest protein shake

D: vegan protein broth and half a quest protein shake

Total calories: 490 protein: 88g

I just saw that sugar free popsicles are on my list of clear liquids, so I'm definitely getting some of those today! Have a good day!

Acedding27
on 12/7/17 3:29 am, edited 12/6/17 7:52 pm
Topic: RE: Whatcha Eating Today VSGers? Thursday 12/7/17

Good morning!

QOTD: I despise wrapping and I am TERRIBLE at it. Luckily, my younger sister lives with me and she's a wonderful wrapper. I'm pretty sure she could work in giftwrapping, as they always look so fabulous! When I have to wrap something myself, I always use bags and tissue paper!

B:lean shake burn chocolate mocha shake

L: premier protein vanilla shake with 1 packet of decaf coffee and splenda

S: Quest vanilla shake with 1 tablespoon PB2. OR 1 cup of vegan protein broth

D:premier protein chocolate shake

Working on water now!

Acedding27
on 12/6/17 5:04 pm
Topic: RE: Whatcha Eating Today VSGers? Wednesday 12/6/17

Hello!

If you don't mind, I'm curious as to what your surgeon's stages are? Mine said I could move to pureed food on Day 6 if I felt able, and I noticed that you're almost on Day 10?

I think it's interesting that every surgeon/clinic seems to have slightly different schedules. I wonder about the science.

Amanda 12/2016 HW: 393 11/2017 Consult: 378 12/2018 SW: 350

2/2018: 309 3/6/2018: Broke a barrier! 297 4/2018: 286 5/2018: 279

Pre-op: -28 M1: -25 M2: -16 M3: -12 M4: -11 M5: -7

Short-term Goal: 250 by August 15th!

Acedding27
on 12/6/17 12:20 pm
Topic: RE: VSG in Ohio - Insurance, letter of medical necessity and Requirements

Do you have an online account with your insurance? If so, perhaps you can download the coverage documents to get more information.

In my case, I contacted the Weight Loss Surgical Group that I wanted to use. The secretary got the requirements and gave me a list. It is lengthy; I would start getting this information as soon as possible. For instance, I had to have: cardio clearance, letter of necessity from surgeon AND primary care physician, weight checks for 6 months on a "physician-supervised diet," two nutritionist visits with a registered dietician that were at least 31 days apart, psychological evaluation, complete lab work for two different visits including a cholesterol panel, and THEN I was able to meet with my surgeon and schedule a date.

Now, hopefully you won't have all these checkmarks, but if you do you'll want to get started.

There are two ways you can proceed:

1. Suggested Way: Contact your insurance directly. It may take hours on the phone, but find out what you need to do to have this surgery. I would find a regular doctor as soon as possible, because you'll need bloodwork and office weigh-ins no matter what, most likely.
  2. Contact the nearest reputable bariatric clinic. See if they work with your insurance company. They should know. They also both have free seminars if you are interested in attending. Here are a couple I found:
    1. https://www.promedica.org/toledo-hospital/pages/specialty-se rvices/metabolic-and-bariatric-center.aspx
    2. http://mercyweightmanagement.org/Insurance-and-financing/bar iatric-surgery-cost.aspx

Acedding27
on 12/6/17 6:29 am

Maybe one of your goals could be to go hang gliding one day? It sounds like you would really enjoy it! I've never done it, but I'm a little afraid of heights. Maybe one day. :-)

I love stuffed peppers of all sorts. I know I won't be able to eat them for awhile, but is there a recipe for your stuffed poblano pepper that you use? :-)

Acedding27
on 12/6/17 6:21 am

Good morning! I am wishing this next week would just fly by...the anticipation and nervousness about my surgery just seems to get worse the closer I get!

QOTD: I would definitely want to breathe underwater. While flying sounds amazing, that seems to be something you couldn't really hide from the world. Hm...you've given me an idea for a short story. It might be time to start writing again. Anyway, I would love to be able to dive into the ocean and stay under for a while without a large mask. It sounds exhilarating.

B: Vanilla protein shake with decaf coffee and splenda

L: 4 oz. baked chicken with half a zucchini

D: 4 oz baked chicken with hot sauce and half a zucchini

I start my liquid diet tomorrow, so my listings will be pretty monotonous.

"Desperation is the raw material of drastic change..." -William S. Burroughs

Acedding27
on 12/5/17 6:47 am, edited 12/4/17 10:47 pm
Topic: RE: Whatcha Eating Today VSGers? Tuesday 12/5/17

QOTD: My goal is to follow all of my surgeon's instructions (I'll start a "regular" bariatric diet around mid-February) and to exercise at least once a day in order to make the most of my first year of losing!

I would LOVE to get down to an XL by Summertime. This may be too ambitious, since I am currently in a 3X-4X in most clothing and I haven't even had my surgery, but it would be so nice to be able to buy clothes at a store that's not specifically for large women. I've also never worn a two piece bathing suit (And I doubt I will...people say the loose skin won't be too terribly bad because I'm in my 20s...but I bet it's going to be PRETTY bad, haha!!)

Honestly, it doesn't even bother me. When I stepped on the scale this morning and it said 351, I almost cried....to think...soon I'll be below 350! I'm getting emotional now just thinking about it!

B: Premier protein shake with decaf coffee and splenda

L: extra lean ground turkey stuffed in a roasted bell pepper with tomatoes and onions

D: Turkey "chili" (tomatoes, chili powder, onion, bell pepper, zucchini) 1.5 cups including liquid

NO SNACKS

Acedding27
on 12/4/17 6:15 am
Topic: RE: Whatcha Eating Today VSGers? Monday 12/4/17

I cannot believe it is December 4th already! We have most of our gifts wrapped and in the closet already, thank goodness! My DW started her new job today in 5th grade. I've got my fingers crossed that she's going to have a fantastic day. She has switched out her breakfast for a premier protein shake each day since I started my preop diet last week. She's lost 4 pounds already and I appreciate the sweet gesture.

QOTD: I live about 35 minutes away from where I work, so I enjoy listening to music and relaxing on the way to work. I usually have coffee and it's nice to just reflect before I get there and hit the ground running. I also enjoy Saturday mornings. My cats sleep in the bed with us, and they are extremely affectionate. It's nice to wake up and enjoy some time with them as opposed to every other day, where I jump out of bed when the alarm goes off!

B: Vanilla Premier Protein (I hope it's good!)

L: Roasted bell pepper stuffed with 3 oz. of extra lean ground turkey, tomatoes, garlic, onions

D: Probably the same (I also have a zucchini stuffed with chicken and chipotle peppers, but I think I'll have that for lunch tomorrow!)

S: NO SNACKS

My all liquid diet starts on Thursday, and I'm nervous about it. Everyone says that it's simple and not too bad after the 2nd or 3rd day, so I'm sure that I'll make it through! I have a case of premier shakes, and I ordered some Unjury samples and Quest protein powder so that I'll have a couple options.

Have a great day everyone!

Acedding27
on 12/3/17 6:08 am
Topic: RE: Whatcha Eating Today VSGers? Sunday 12/3/17

My condolences on your loss. Losing a fur baby is losing a family member. I wish they could live as long as we do.

Acedding27
on 12/3/17 6:06 am, edited 12/2/17 10:28 pm
Topic: RE: Whatcha Eating Today VSGers? Sunday 12/3/17

Good morning! I took a morning and evening walk yesterday and I am pleasantly surprised that my knees aren't aching today. It's another slightly cold, beautiful day.

I'm at my second job today, and my boss did the whole "Why don't you just go on a diet?" spiel when I put in that I would be out for three weeks (this is a low priority job for me and it requires some lifting.) I suppose I should make something up when people ask, but I really don't care too. Oh well.

QOTD: Maybe some small candles, her favorite RTD shake, perfume, new earbuds, etc.

B: premier protein shake

L: 4 ounces turkey tenderloin, 1/2 cup boiled cabbage, spoonful of steamed cauliflower

D: ground turkey lettuce wraps with homemade Pico and hot sauce

No snacks.

E: probably a walk this evening

I read an article about the few that experience "gastric sleeve failure" and it is comforting to know that it is extremely uncommon and usually because of patient error. Logging all food was the number one way to avoid this :-)

Acedding27
on 12/2/17 8:03 am
Topic: RE: Whatcha Eating Today VSGers? Saturday 12/2/17

It's been a wonderful morning here. DW and I got to sleep in until 7:30 a.m. (she is also a teacher, so 5:00 AM is our normal) and then we went for a walk in the park. It's beautiful here today, sunny and slightly cool but not at all uncomfortable.

A kettlebell class actually sounds like fun to me! I think I'm lucky in the friends department, as far as exercise. My wife and I are the odd ones out right now. Two of my friends run marathons, and my sister in law is actually teaches kickboxing classes on the side. They are extremely excited about my upcoming surgery and new, healthy lifestyle.

QOTD: Well. This generally makes me pretty unpopular, but we don't "do" Santa. When I was about six, I had anxiety attacks one Christmas about Santa breaking into our house. So, no one in my family (even my extended) does Santa anymore. Christmas is just as pleasant (even more so, in my opinion.) We also don't do other fictional entities like the Easter Bunny. We encourage plenty of imagination, just not in this way. We do speak to the children about not "ruining" it for others. :-)

B: Chocolate Premier Protein Shake

L: 3 oz. salmon and 1 cup of garlic boiled cabbage

D: 4.5 oz. of turkey tenderloin and 1 cup of garlic boiled cabbage

NO SNACKS

E: Already took a 1.5 mile walk this morning, probably do that again this afternoon

Acedding27
on 12/2/17 5:46 am
Topic: RE: Soft food-3 1/2 weeks post op

I got a food scale so I could go ahead and start measuring my stuff pre-op. If you don't have one, Amazon has several for under $10 that have accuracy reviews that will arrive in one to two days :-)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B072545SRJ/ref=mh_s9_acsd_topr_b1DNz_c_x_6_w?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=mobile-hybrid-12&pf_rd_r=X6VZ8CTH5DDQBEDM2VBQ&pf_rd_t=30901&pf_rd_p=a5d59e8e-e2e2-53b5-ba73-1365edaa9b53&pf_rd_i=289787

Acedding27
on 12/1/17 5:15 pm

Hmm...it seems odd that my doctor is so accomplished and that at a "Bariatric Center of Excellence" that his team would tell me the wrong thing. Perhaps the surgical staff misunderstood my question about supplementation and thought that I was merely asking about PRE-surgery vitamins?

I have my hospital pre-admission checkin scheduled for next week and I'll be sure to ask for clarification! As for Iron, I didn't think about it, but I've been on Iron since I was a teenager. I'm anemic and I assume I'll continue my regular Iron pills after surgery.

Thank you!

Acedding27
on 12/1/17 4:30 pm

Thank you for the comment.

For anyone wandering by and wanting more information, I just read this and it was really useful:

http://www.americanhairloss.org/types_of_hair_loss/effluviums.asp

Acedding27
on 12/1/17 12:31 pm

I'm just curious....were you strictly liquid for the past 3.5 weeks or did you mix in some semi-liquid foods? (watery applesauce, milky oatmeal, etc?)

Did you experience any upset hours later from the meatballs?

Thanks for sharing!

Acedding27
on 12/1/17 12:28 pm

Ladyblu's suggestion sounds like a winner!

I have a question (not to hijack this post!) Everyone seems to be taking multiple supplements and vitamins (including calcium and other things.)

My surgical team told me that because of my age I only need to take one multivitamin twice a day for the two weeks before and after surgery and one a day thereafter for the rest of my life. I bought the Centrum Chewables. I like the tangy flavor and someone told me that chewables would be easy right after surgery. However, I see multiple people on here in their mid to late twenties that take multiple supplements.

Should I be concerned that I was told I don't need anything else at all? I'm also taking one biotin a day (1000 mcg) on my own. A friend told me that she took it two weeks before surgery and a few months after and she didn't experience ANY hair loss.

Acedding27
on 12/1/17 6:09 am
Topic: RE: Whatcha Eating Today VSGers? Friday 12/1/17

Garnier and Aveeno both make some really nice face creams that don't break the bank!

Acedding27
on 12/1/17 4:09 am
Topic: RE: Newbie here!

Welcome to OH!

I found this site a few weeks ago, and the information and input from others has been comforting and useful! Congratulations on your upcoming surgery!

Acedding27
on 12/1/17 4:06 am
Topic: RE: 2 weeks of pre-op diet RESULTS

That's WONDERFUL! Great job following your pre-op instructions!!

I think one benefit of the liquid diet is that you start to see more results so quickly. It probably makes surgery something to look forward to more and more... At least that's how I feel as I continue to lose weight more quickly than I typically do.

Acedding27
on 12/1/17 3:45 am
Topic: RE: Whatcha Eating Today VSGers? Friday 12/1/17

December HAS gotten here pretty quickly! It seems like the school year JUST started and I'm already about to get my second crop of kids. I cannot believe that my youngest nephew is about to be a year old. Time really does fly faster as we get older, it seems. I've seen several people comment that they wish they had not scheduled their surgeries around the holidays, but I feel like it gives me something to look forward to besides food. I love looking at the Christmas lights and going to the Christmas plays and Choir concerts. A local park has a drive through "show" with songs and coordinated lights that is different every year! I love Christmas.

QOTD: We always go to the park on either Friday or Saturday afternoon. I'll probably take a couple short walks and sleep in on Saturday. I work my second job on Sunday and I'll be grading papers the rest of that day! I'm going to go ahead and stock up on bone broth, sugar free popsicles, sugar free jello, etc to prepare for my liquids only diet before and right after surgery.

B: Premier protein shake BANANAS AND CREAM

L: 4 oz. Turkey tenderloin, 1 cup of whole green beans

D: same (but with sriracha!)

No snacks allowed...but I have already drank 16 oz of water!

Acedding27
on 11/30/17 6:19 am
Topic: RE: Whatcha Eating Today VSGers? Thursday 11/30/17

QOTD: I usually just put them at the top of my closet. My wife and I both like surprises, and our youngest nephew is still only 3 years old, so it's not too hard to hide from him!

Our Christmases were pretty lean when we were kids, and I don't remember every snooping around to look for anything. One year, I begged and begged for a Gameboy (the small handheld game) and I found the box with wrapped gifts but I was too scared to look. (I totally got it!)

B: Premier protein shake (chocolate!)

L: 3 oz. Salmon with 1 cup of snap peas, baby corn, and broccoli

D: Same as lunch

Snacks: NONE ALLOWED

Well...my STRICT preoperative diet starts today. Send a good thought in my direction. My wife made bacon cheese burgers last night and I ALMOST had a bite. I beat Satan away and worked on grading some papers instead. FOURTEEN DAYS EXACTLY UNTIL MY VSG!!!!! I'm so grateful.

Acedding27
on 11/29/17 3:11 pm
Topic: RE: regrets/ second thoughts

Your responses on these boards are so helpful. Thank you for putting the time in!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 101 views