OT: Completely overwhelmed

MacMadame
on 8/9/11 8:26 am - Northern, CA
I uploaded a new resume to Dice (it's like Monster for tech jobs) and my phone has been ringing off the hook. This is a good thing, right? Well I'm completely overwhelmed and I am mostly getting calls from recruiters and these take up time and hardly ever lead to anything. Plus I've had two technical phone screens and bombed them both.

I am in a weird position because I've done a lot of web work but it's all Web 1.0 technologies and there are all these new technologies out there that I'm slighly familiar with but not enough.

So I'm a Senior Developer so they want my skills with Web 2.0 technologies to be at a certain level. They aren't but, because I am a Senior Developer, they could be within a month or two of being hired because after a certain point, it's all the same, just the names are different.

But they won't hire me because I'm not already there.

I'm trying to write some sample code for one the positions but I keep getting interrupted by the phone. I think I'm going to stop answering it for a while unless it's someone I know.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

MajorMom
on 8/9/11 9:21 am - VA
Get 'em, Marie. Swinging lizards for you.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Jody ***
on 8/9/11 9:44 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with
You can do it!!  Shut the phone off.  I too was inundated by recruiters wanting to market my resume... no thanks...

Get your code done, I'm sure they'll see the talent there.

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

diane S.
on 8/9/11 10:36 am
you are right to shut off the phone for a certain time each day if there is stuff you gotta get done. In my former life the phone was the device from hell. So you know you can do that code and find that right spot for you.  Bet it happens fairly quickly. GL.  Diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Price S.
on 8/9/11 11:15 am - Mills River, NC
Your talking greek to me but I agree, turn off the phone and do what you need to do.  Good luck on finding a new job.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

MacMadame
on 8/9/11 1:06 pm - Northern, CA
I went out running and when I came back I had two more voicemails. Sigh. It would be different if they were for good jobs but I'm not remotely qualified for either.

I need to change my resume again and I'm afraid. As soon as you update it, they all start calling again!

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

kimberly_gr
on 8/9/11 7:24 pm
This is a good problem in a way to have, right? At least your resume is drawing attention--you must have something good besides the Web 2.0.

I've read that employers are getting very particular about the skill sets that they want.  Hopefully yours will be a good fit for someone.
Kim
5'0"
"In two decades I've lost a total of 789 pounds. I should be hanging from a charm bracelet."  Erma Bombeck

italianspice
on 8/9/11 9:25 pm - Eastlake, OH
I think the answering machine/voicemail will be sufficient so you can concentrate on what you need to get done.

Swinging critters that you will get a great job soon!

~Maria

SW 230 Preop 205 GW 130 LW 131 CW 135 Ht 5'1"

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 296 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 420 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 482 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 500 views