I want to be a lightweight!

MEZ
on 9/7/11 6:13 am - Wilmington, NC
Hi Everyone!

Just to introduce myself...

I had my first surgeon visit yesterday, and he has cleared me. Now it's on to my two required appointments with a nutritionist, and a psych evaluation.  I can't get in for dietary until October... so I wait. Once those steps are done, I go back and my paperwork goes in for approval and I get a date. Same as everyone else went through, I'm sure!

I have high blood pressure, sleep apnea, and heel/knee issues caused by my weight. I do not want more issues. I do not want to be pre-diabetic. I want to be pro-active. I have been trying for a lifetime to lose weight. 

I need/would love to lose approximately 90 pounds. I'm 229 and 5'5".  So I guess that makes me a lightweight.  

I haven't seen ONEderland in, I don't know, 15-20 years (I'm 43) and even then it was the upper-part of the county, if you know what I mean. I have really kicked around the idea of RNY for years, but now that I have been diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea (a diagnosis that really brought me to my senses about needing to do something different than what I have been doing), I am moving forward full speed ahead.

So I'm reading, and absorbing, and learning. And I wanted to thank everyone for sharing your ideas and information.  I look forward to this journey!

Ellen            RNY      Surgery Date: 12/6/2011
5' 5.5"          Surgery BMI 37.5        HW 254            SW 230         GW 150 - reached 11/6/12 

jspencer1014
on 9/7/11 6:18 am - Riverdale, GA
Welcome, Ellen!!! I am so glad that you found us. The men and women on this board are so supportive and have so very much wisdom that they freely share. I hope you feel comfortable here. Good luck on your journey, and keep us posted!!!                                         -Julie
"It's not what is taken from you that counts. It's what you do with what you have left."-Hubert Humphrey

MajorMom
on 9/7/11 6:19 am - VA
Welcome aboard! I hope everything goes smoothly in your approval process. Keep us posted and jump into any of the threads any time and ask all the questions you want.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

hollykim
on 9/7/11 7:21 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
welcome!

Price S.
on 9/7/11 8:58 am - Mills River, NC
Welcome, welcome.  We love new folks.  Good luck on wadding through the process.  About the time you think you will never get there, you have a surgery date and are on your way. 

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Eliza55
on 9/7/11 9:06 am - PA
Hi Ellen

Welcome to the lightweight board.  I had my RNY for many of the same reasons you did - I have sleep apnea, bad knees, and was borderline high blood pressure and prediabetic.  I didn't want to add anymore medical issues to my growing list.  Within the month since I had the surgery, my blood pressure dropped to normal, and my blood sugar is completely normal.  I am unusual, as my sleep apnea may not be related to my weight, and has not improved.

Good Luck With Your Journey.
Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

aspan
on 9/7/11 9:12 am
welcome! Your stats are very similar to what mine were..wish you the best of luck, this is a great board!
HW: 260? SW: 242 Surgeons GW: 150 First GW: 140 Second GW: 130 CW: 122      
Mama477
on 9/7/11 9:53 am
Well come on in and join us! This is the place to BE!

Meg
  HW 236 / SW 224 / CW 164/ GW 135

cheermonkeysmom
on 9/7/11 10:40 am - Smithsburg, MD
Welcome to the Light Weight Board. Any questions you have you can post here and you find that people are very friendly and will reply. It's good to hear from others that have been thru this process and help you along the way.
 Highest Weight - 220/ Date of Surgery - 194/ Goal Weight - 125 CW 122  2nd Goal - 115

Kermit P.
on 9/7/11 11:55 am
Hey Ellen!!

Welcome.  This is a great board.  Super supportive and educational.  I have learned so much and am NEVER afraid to post on here (some of the other boards scare me!).  My pre-op process took forever but I used the time to read and prepare.  This is a hard decision but for me I am so grateful so far.  The weight comes off, slowly but surely, and I would NEVER be at my current weight without this surgery.  I feel blessed that I had the courage to make this decision. 

Good luck and post when you have questions.

~~Jennifer
HW/232       CW/145.2       GW/???
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 304 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 428 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 491 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 509 views