Psych consult... did you take a computerized test?

MEZ
on 9/8/11 10:17 pm - Wilmington, NC
I'm really not worried about my psych consult, and in fact was cracking up while reading some of the questions (clearly an eating disorder focused questionaire)... "have you ever been told you are too thin?"  Ummm, not in this lifetime!! "Do others know of your disorder?" If you are referring to my overeating and weight, yes, pretty much everyone can see that I'm fat!

I think I'm a stable, rational person...

And then they throw in that there's a computerized test!?  And that if you try to make yourself look too positive they will throw out the results.  Huh?

What kind of test is this?  Did you have to take it?  I am invisioning questions (based on the others I had to answer) like:

1. If someone tells you you can't have cake you will have a nervous breakdown. Yes or No
2. Living without sodas makes me feel suicidal. Yes or No. 

Etc. etc.

They tell me it will take up to an hour to complete.  I hate tests.  I'd much rather sit on a couch and talk to someone (2 hours of that will also happen).  

We use personality profile tests for hiring, and I've actually thrown out results for a recent hire because they seemed so contradictory to how the person was during the interview, and guess what? I was right. So they scare me.

I know I'm overreacting.  Right?

Ellen            RNY      Surgery Date: 12/6/2011
5' 5.5"          Surgery BMI 37.5        HW 254            SW 230         GW 150 - reached 11/6/12 

MajorMom
on 9/8/11 10:45 pm - VA
The one I had was personality profile-like test. I think they want to make sure you're a reasonable human, able to follow directions and don't expect the world to change because you happen to lose weight. lol

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Mrs.M
on 9/8/11 11:25 pm
I'm sure you are overreacting because this is so important to you.  I wouldn't worry.  You sound pretty darn rational to me, not to mention hysterically funny!
Mine was a one on one with the psych.  I really didn't like her-I just got a bad vibe from her.  She actually had me in tears, the *****!  I was revising from lapband to RNY and she was all "why would you be successful with RNY when you already failed with lapband?"   I played her game, got my surgery and have been successful.
You will do fine.  Just don't overanalyze each question.  And try to remember the ridiculous ones so you can share with us
Janet

MEZ
on 9/9/11 1:05 am - Wilmington, NC
Thanks, Janet and Gina!  You are right... I know so much depends on this and it's the ONE aspect of the whole thing I can't control ...

I'll be fine, but will try to remember what the questions are that are ridiculous!

Ellen            RNY      Surgery Date: 12/6/2011
5' 5.5"          Surgery BMI 37.5        HW 254            SW 230         GW 150 - reached 11/6/12 

lerkhart
on 9/9/11 3:34 am
Ellen,
It was not too bad.  I had to do a written one that had over 100 questions on it some of them were the same questions just on different pages - I think they wanted to know if you were really reading them.  It was some type of personality test - M something I think.

Then I had to do a computerized one - I really can't even remember one question on it.  You will be fine unless you have a lot of major issues.  I'm sure I'm compulsive among other things!!!

Good luck.

Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Ruthie D.
on 9/9/11 9:42 am - Mayer, AZ
Hey Ellen, You'll do fine.  It's correct that some of the questions are repeated, or reworded and then repeated.  Of course "it" will pick up on discrepancies and the shrink may talk to you about it to see if there's an issue or if you were lying.  The very very best advice I can give is to read each question and answer it quickly and honestly with NO analyzing.  It does no good to try and figure out what they might WANT to hear.  Just be honest.  I did that and was through with the test way faster than what most people take because they are scared and try to analyze what answer would be best.  When I explained my understanding of the question where "it" determined there was a discrepancy, the shrink said it made sense and that was a good example of why it is best to follow up with a human "it".  LOL

No worries.  Just relax and have fun with it.  Somebody that is stable & rational like you cannot flunk.  :-)
       LIFE'S a REACH...    and then you FLY!!!   
           HW = 224, SW = 204, CW = 124, GW = 119           
paranoidmother21
on 9/9/11 10:34 am - Lake Zurich, IL
Ruthie described the contradictions issue very well! It's called a Lie Index or Validity Index depending on which scale they're having you complete, and doesn't really mean there is conscious lying going on, rather that someone might be splitting hairs and there needs to be human follow-up. It's pretty common on almost all rating scales and nothing to be worried about as long as they do discuss it with you afterwards.
Rebecca
Circumferential LBL, anchor TT, BL/BR, brachioplasty 12-16-10 Drs. Howard and Gutowski

Thigh lift 3-24-11, Drs. Howard and Gutowski again!
Height 5' 5".  Start point 254.  DH's goal: 154.  My guess: 144.  Insurance goal: 134.  Currently bouncing around 130-135.

Ruthie D.
on 9/9/11 10:47 am - Mayer, AZ
OOOOOH!!  Thank you, Rebecca! 

See?  I did TOO pay attention in class.  ;-)
Ruthie D.
on 9/9/11 10:50 am - Mayer, AZ
Oh yeah... if they ever give you a test that asks if you like to read Popular Mechanics magazine... don't put YES, if you are a girl.  They'll accuse of lying on the test. 

MajorMom
on 9/9/11 10:27 pm - VA
Is Geek and new gender choice? Maybe race or nationality...hmm.

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 304 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 428 views