Insurance, yuck

Price S.
on 11/3/11 7:56 am - Mills River, NC
So I have been on Cobra for almost a year and a half and it is coming to an end.  I have started looking into other insurance since I have to have it and was just denied by BCBS, who I am currently covered by.  Part of it is my upcoming surgery.  We especially scheduled it for before the insurance change so we would know exactly what we were getting into financially.  So now I can go into the uninsurable pool or look into doing a business group of one.  It is just frustrating that I have lost 100lbs, have no co-morbidities left and still can't get insurance.  This country has to change it's health care policies.  Doesn't matter what your leaning politically, no one should be priced out of having insurance or told they are medically uninsurable.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

MajorMom
on 11/3/11 8:07 am - VA
Ugh! I hate insurance companies!

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Jody ***
on 11/3/11 9:16 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with
Sorry you're going through this.  I know when I called for life insurance after my WLS and hit my goal I was told I'd NEVER get the best rate because of the risks of  WLS....  that really disappointed me. I was at the best I've ever been and they said I was a risk - REALLY???

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

Price S.
on 11/3/11 10:27 am - Mills River, NC
Evidently this is at least part due to the knee surgery.  Even though it will be covered before I change, they are concerned about complications.  I think WLS played a part also though.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

MacMadame
on 11/3/11 10:32 am - Northern, CA
On November 3, 2011 at 4:16 PM Pacific Time, Jody *** wrote:
Sorry you're going through this.  I know when I called for life insurance after my WLS and hit my goal I was told I'd NEVER get the best rate because of the risks of  WLS....  that really disappointed me. I was at the best I've ever been and they said I was a risk - REALLY???
I don't think this is true though. On the questionaires, it depends on what they ask you but a lot of times they ask about "in the last 2 years" or "the last 5 years" and so eventually they won't even know about the surgery because it will be past the period they ask about.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

italianspice
on 11/3/11 9:23 am - Eastlake, OH
So sorry that you have to deal with this on top of your upcoming knee surgery.

Insurance companies are only out to make money and dont really care about the people. I hope you can find insurance soon.

~Maria

SW 230 Preop 205 GW 130 LW 131 CW 135 Ht 5'1"

Price S.
on 11/3/11 10:29 am - Mills River, NC
Every state is required to have a high risk pool that can not deny you so I know I can do that but of course it is expensive and I'm not sure my Drs are part of the in-group ones.  I'll be checking that tomorrow.

Eliza55
on 11/3/11 8:11 pm - PA
Price

I'm a bit cynical, but the number one goal of insurance companies is to make money.  There is nothing about improving overall health (unless there is a payback).   If the paypack isn't there for the insurance company, then they won't take people, or cover their costs.  So they do cover WLS, because the costs to them are reduced in the future. 

Banks and insurance companies both drive me crazy for this reason.
Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

southernlady5464
on 11/3/11 10:57 pm
Price, sorry you are dealing with this...

Many BCBS divisions will not insure a sole propritorship with no employees. If we could, we would do that rather than be on a Medicare Advantage plan. However, I googled sole propritorships in NC and BCBSNC is listed...so maybe they do. http://www.health-insurance-carriers.com/northcarolina.html

Good luck...and if you need more help PM me, dh's cousin is a solo agent in Candler.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Price S.
on 11/3/11 11:25 pm - Mills River, NC
I'm not a sole prop, but a corp. with one employee, me.  Last time I couldn't because I hadn't been incorp. for a year.  This time I have.  I also qualify for the risk pool but my dr isn't part of the in network group.  I hate all this stuff.  My agent is in Candler, with Patton Morgan.  Any chance of being in the same agency?

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 298 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 423 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 483 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 503 views