Insurance, yuck

southernlady5464
on 11/3/11 11:57 pm
I'm also a corporation, have two "employees"...me and dh (he's the CFO, lol) and I still was considered too small to get coverage a couple of years ago. But then I was trying to get it thru BCBSTN at that point. While we still lived in NC, my corp was still too new.

And BCBSTN considered me a sole prop even tho I was incorporated. Go figure...I hate this stuff too.

It occurred to me, why aren't you allowed to continue the COBRA if you pay the full premium? It is an option by most carriers (or was). COBRA - Dept of Labor
Some plans allow participants and beneficiaries to convert group health coverage to an individual policy. If this option is generally available from the plan, a qualified beneficiary who pays for COBRA coverage must be given the option of converting to an individual policy at the end of the COBRA continuation coverage period. The option must be given to enroll in a conversion health plan within 180 days before COBRA coverage ends. The premium for a conversion policy may be more expensive than the premium of a group plan, and the conversion policy may provide a lower level of coverage. The conversion option, however, is not available if the beneficiary ends COBRA coverage before reaching the end of the maximum period of COBRA coverage.

As to being in the same agency...I know she isn't as she has her own in Candler...hers is Carolina Mountain Insurance Services, Inc.

Good luck in figuring all this out....it's a headache for sure.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Price S.
on 11/4/11 3:06 am - Mills River, NC
I am in the 18 mon of coverage time now.  It ends 1-1-12.  I was in the subsity time then in Sept started paying the whole cobra myself, which still wasn't bad because it is a large group policy.  No one offered going from the group cobra to an individual but I bet it will be more than the group. 

I am going to try to work out the group of 1 because my Drs are in network.  If I go to the high risk pool, my drs aren't all covered.  I'm just lucky when I set my Corp up in the first place, I said the corp was going to pay all medical expenses of all the employees, me.  So at least it is a business expense and that helps.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

lerkhart
on 11/4/11 12:04 am
Price,
I am so sorry about your insurance problems.  I hate dealing with insurance companies.

We are so lucky in that when we retire as of right now, we get to keep our insurance coverage the rest of our lives.  On the downsize to our insurance I have to pay an extra $40 per month because my DH uses smokeless tobacco.  Our insurance is also going to stop paying for any type of weight loss surgery effective 1/1/12.

I had to buy a High Deductible plan for both my kids when they were over 18 and only in school part time.  It was really expensive.

Hope you can find something that covers good and is reasonable.

Linda 
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Price S.
on 11/4/11 3:07 am - Mills River, NC
It just shouldn't be so hard.  but at least in a few years, I'll have Medicare, if Medicare still exist then.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 304 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 428 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 491 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 509 views