Loose stools

glzgowlass
on 12/14/11 11:45 pm - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
I started off with constipation for about two months after surgery.  Now, I have loose stools every day.  Sometimes it's just like water.  I go a couple of times in the am and that is mostly it for the day.  The change occured when I went to Scotland and my diet did change while there.  This has been going on for a month.

Trying to figure out what is causing it.  Someone on the RNY page suggested higher fat in my diet.  Sounds possible, but I'm not sure my fat content went way up.  Having said that I am cutting way back on fats for a couple of days to see if that's the cause.

I thought maybe it was the added carbs.  I don't take in a whole lot but they have crept in a bit since Scotland.

Anyone else had this happen and did you find out what the cause was?

HW: 218, SW: 204, CW: 139 GW: 112-119

Roz !!!!
on 12/14/11 11:51 pm - Butler, PA
Constipation is the norm for me but if I eat peanut butter, milk products,  or something else high in fat then it does become looser but not to the extent you are talking about.

Did you have your gall bladder out?  DH has terrible diarrhea since he did.  Having mine out in March didn't help me at all with my constipation problem.

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

glzgowlass
on 12/15/11 12:17 am - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
No, I still have my gall bladder.  Maybe I'm eating more carbs/sugar than I realize and should be monitoring that.  It started in Scotland but over there it was not like this.  It was just regular and normal and it graduated to what's going on now.

I'm not sick and don't have a fever or anything.  I see the doc's office on the 28th, but I'll see if I can narrow down what it is by then.

MajorMom
on 12/15/11 1:04 am - VA
You could have a bacterial over growth or have just started a new food intolerance. I'd vote that it's likely a bacterial thing. You might try a probiotic first, such as Primal Defense Ultra. One a day works for me. If that doesn't work, you will want to talk to your doc about a round of Flagyl (antibiotic).

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

glzgowlass
on 12/15/11 7:31 am - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
Oh, it could be that.  I didn't think about bacteria -I thought that was something Dser's got mostly.  Is it something common in Rnyer's as well?  What causes it?

What is Primal Defense Ultra?  Is it a pill?  Could I try activia?

I even had a slight accident today.  Lucky I was in the house.  Bleuch!

MajorMom
on 12/15/11 7:47 am - VA
RNYrs can get it too, I guess anyone can really. If you're going to see Dr Mo soon, ask him about a round of Flagyl, you may even be able to call the office and get some prescribed.

Primal Defense Ultra is a horse pill sized capsule and has billions of good bacteria. Sounds like you need the Flagyl to me. Kill the over growth with Flagyl and then start a good probiotic to repopulate your gut with good bacteria. Activia may work too slow and not be strong enough to counter over growth and repopulate.

What ever this is, doesn't sound normal for a DSr or RNYr. Talk to your surgeon's office and get some help.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

glzgowlass
on 12/15/11 7:54 am - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
I see them on the 28th, but I may give them a call beforehand.  I did a quick read on bacterial overgrowth and I noticed on one website (medicinenet, Ithink) it talked about adopting a higher fat low carb diet for a spell.  (this was directed in general and not specific for people with bariatric surgery.

It made me wonder if the introduction of carbs in Scotland triggered it.  It kind of started around that time. Something to do with carbs transiting the gut too fast or something was what they said.

Anyhoo, I think you are spot on and I will ask about the Flagyl and probiotics.

Price S.
on 12/15/11 3:06 am - Mills River, NC
My DH has loose bowels and take metamucil to firm them up.  I know that is opposite of what most folks do but it works for him.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 308 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 431 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 497 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 515 views