Venison

glzgowlass
on 1/28/12 11:40 pm - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
Yes, I ate Bambi!!  I cooked some last night for dinner.  Oh Wow!  So good.  I've had it before (in Scotland) about twice and I liked it a lot.  It's expensive and not something you see every day, so when  I saw it in Wegman's, I pounced on it. 

The great thing about it is it's very, very lean and packed with protein.   I covered it in salt, pepper and rosemary from my garden.  Seared it in a pan then baked it for 10 mins in a 400 degree oven. 

Simple and yet out of this world!  It looked good enough to be photographed for a magazine!   I had it with Kale and apple as a side.  Oh, - and a red wine sauce to fini**** off.

I decided that hubby needs to go out with the in-laws next time we visit (and it's legal to do so) and go hunt some deer!  -Seeing as it's so darn expensive and not something you can eat too often.

HW: 218, SW: 204, CW: 139 GW: 112-119

Bettisima
on 1/29/12 12:43 am
I like venison too. Although I have never bought it from a store ,this year my son shot his first deer.I dont know that hunting is a way to get the meat cheaply, because there are all of the expenses associated with hunting and processing the meat, but the men have a great time out hunting.

We also really like buffalo, another meat with really great stats. We get it locally, it's considerably more expensive than beef, but so very worth it.
Eliza55
on 1/29/12 2:19 am - PA
Venison is one of the few red meats that I can eat successfully.  Love it!
Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

Eliza60
on 2/17/12 6:40 am
 HELLO ELIZA 55 I AM ELIZA 60    IAM ONLY 4 DAYS OUT BUT I WAS GLAD TO READ YOUR POST
MY HUSBAND IS AN AVID HUNTER SO WE EAT ALOT OF GAME MEAT AND I LOVE IT. CANT WAIT TO TRY IT.  HAVIN TROUBLE GETTIN IN ALL MY PROTEIN AND WATER IN....BUT SEEMS TO BE GETTING BETTER EACH DAY.
Roz !!!!
on 1/29/12 4:00 am - Butler, PA
It is a healthy protein meat.   My family loves venison. . Usually twice a fall I fry up a batch for them all.  It is a long process frying enough to fill them all up.  

When all of the girls were home and I didn't work I used cut it up in cubes and can it and it made it's own gravy....yummy over mashed potatoes or by itself. 

Anymore we get most of ours made into hot sticks or bologna casings.

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

(deactivated member)
on 1/29/12 5:10 am
 I ADORE venison .   People  don't realize that  deer are a " wild farmed "  semi- domesticated animal that is WAY too productive and prolific NOT to be culled by humans ( for goodness sakes they all starve and practically eat  their own young when  left alone ... ) 

shooting (  a lot ) of deer  keeps the population in hand and ALSO  feeds the humans . WE humans brought white deer  and red deer together and developed extra fertile strains ,.. and colonized them over half of the Eastern seaboard now we're responsible..period .  

The meat is  wonderful , delicious and super lean and healthy ...  and no domesticated animal lives a better life .  

Yum Yum  Venison !  
Jody ***
on 1/29/12 5:43 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with
Oh yes... venison also makes awesome hamburg.  Tom and his buddies are avant hunters.  Not only does he hunt, but he traps.  He didn't get a deer this year, but has trapped several beaver and mink.  Of course anything that is hunted or traps becomes dinner in some way or another.

My 1st ex and my son have been hunters all along and made jerky for me out of the meat they got - awesome!!

Crock pots are great for cooking it in too. 

I had buffalo steak a few weeks ago - OMG SOOO AWESOME!  We have a local place that raises and sells buffalo - and I had to go to DC to finally try it - shame on me!

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

Ladytazz
on 1/29/12 9:19 am
I don't know why but if it isn't chicken, beef or pork I can't eat it.  I don't know what the difference is between a deer and an cow but it just doesn't sound appetizing.  Same with rabbit.  My boyfriend likes to shoot pigeons and eat the breasts.  I just can't stand the thought.
I don't care for fish either, unless it is shellfish.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

delano1972
on 2/5/12 2:06 am - North Platte, NE
We LOVE venison at our house...to the extent that we have 4 deer in the freezer for meals. We grill the steaks, slow cook the roasts, and also have sticks, summer sausage, and breakfast sausage made. It is the best, low fat high protein!!!

Michelle
Highest 242/Surgery 235/Goal 150/Lowest 158/Current 184 (Started working off regain and heading to goal 02/02/12.)    

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 304 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 428 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 490 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 509 views