what to eat after a workout

Price S.
on 5/8/12 10:05 pm, edited 5/8/12 10:09 pm - Mills River, NC

Lifting is great and some people enjoy the soreness they feel the next day after an intense workout while others really can't stand it -- especially if they did a crazy leg workout. But you know the phrase: You can feel sore or you can feel sorry. Feeling sore can offer a sense of achievement. Still, it's important to recover from many long training sessions, so try incorporating the foods below to recuperate more quickly.

Why Do I Feel Sore? Many people feel the soreness but aren't sure where the pain comes from. The question that I get most often is, "How come I feel sore the day after, but not that same day?" The answer is Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS). So what causes this? When you work out, you are creating tiny tears in your muscles. This is normally a result of high intensity exercises such as heavy lifting or sprinting. Your muscles then want to recover, so they begin to heal themselves. Consuming an adequate amount of protein and nutrients, while giving your body enough time to rest helps accomplish this; and your muscles are built during this phase. That's why recovery days are very important.

1) Whole Grain Cereal: You may have heard that you should eat carbs before a workout, which is true, but you should also consume them after as well. Carbohydrates can help your body fight the fatigue that it feels after a workout by restoring your glycogen stores. When you exercise, you are using up all of your glycogen stores (or energy stores.) It's really important to replenish them after a workout so that you do not experience that sleepy feeling. Any carbohydrate snack will do but whole grains are always the best choice.

2) Cherries: Cherries are kind of like a magical fruit. They have many anti-inflammatory properties, which are really important for relieving muscle soreness. The antioxidant that gives cherries this healing ability is called anthocyanins. Many athletes consume tart cherry juice prior to workouts for this reason. Instead of popping that ibuprofen or Advil, reach for some nice, fresh cherries or cherry juice instead.

3) Nuts: Walnuts, almonds, brazil nuts -- whatever kind of nuts you want. All kinds of nuts are very high in Vitamin E. This vitamin has muscle strengthening powers which will ultimately help to fight muscle soreness. Once you begin to get stronger, you will notice that you are not as sore as you were when you first began training. When you have been training for a while, your muscles are stronger and you don’t tear the muscle as much as you did in the beginning. Less tears equals less soreness. Vitamin E also helps repair the damage that was done to the muscle tissue. Eat foods high in Vitamin E, like nuts, to help build that muscle strength…and keep training.

4) Berries: Berries such as strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and raspberries all contain antioxidants called polyphenols. These antioxidants are what protect your cells against damage. Aside from their ability to reduce muscle pain, they also help protect against all the other damages that can be done to our cells that can cause cancer. Generally, the darker the berry, the more antioxidants it contains so try to eat dark berries such as blackberries and blueberries. They are a healthy and delicious snack. You can even throw them into your protein shake for an added bonus.

5) Salmon: Fish in general is loaded with protein and a ton of essential fatty acids. Fatty acids help to reduce inflammation which in turn fights muscle soreness. Not a fan of fish? Take a fish oil supplement.

6) Eggs: Particularly egg yolks. Ignore the cholesterol factor. Eggs are high in protein and Vitamin D. Both of these two things help fight muscle soreness and aid in muscle growth. Vitamin D has become one of the biggest deficiencies in the American diet. It is really important to consume foods high in this vitamin, especially to help reduce muscle pain. Many people tend to get rid of the yolk of the egg because of the added cholesterol and calories but those calories in the yolk are all really good calories. They provide vitamin D and protein. Eat the whole egg. If you do have high cholesterol, try to limit yourself to a couple whole eggs a week and consume Vitamin D fortified low fat milk.

Overview: All of these foods are high in many nutrients and vitamins that your body needs on a daily basis in order to sustain life. They all have the ability to reduce muscle soreness and inflammation so it's important to include them in your diet. Now, they aren't really "super" foods. If you have sore muscles and eat some eggs, you aren't going to automatically feel better but they will aid in the healing process. Aside from getting the right nutrients, it's important to allow yourself some rest. Taking one to two days a week off heavy training will be very beneficial for body. If you are an exercise freak and need to get to the gym, take it easy. Do some light cardio or lift lighter. You really only experience soreness when you push yourself to your limits.

good article not related to WLS but to everyone.  I was surprised that protein wasn't specifically mentioned.  they say carbs, esp whole grains as #1 but do mention nuts and salmon.  I alway wanted to bring a piece of salmon in the car with me to eat after the gym, NOT.  I actually bring a shake, usually lemon tea protein with me.  Maybe now I will bring walnuts instead.

What do you have after a workout?

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Caitlyn_Cat
on 5/8/12 10:18 pm
There are several things that 'hit the spot' after the gym: cottage cheese with fresh fruit, a scoop of peanut butter (creamy, but of course), or two tubs of single serve yogurt (one leaves me unsatisfied after a work out).

Height: 5'5" / HW: 223 / SW: 196 / GW: 125 reached 12/22/2011 / CW: 121    
Price S.
on 5/9/12 7:24 am - Mills River, NC
i like yogurt but it doesn't satisfy my hunger at all.  If I eat it as a snack, I am wanting something else way too soon.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

loverofcats
on 5/8/12 11:26 pm
After I lift weights, I usually have a protein shake 10-20 grams with some berries 1/4-1/2 cup. After a spin class, I will use skim milk with a little protein powder and some berries. Weights don't use up as much glycogen, thus need less carb replacement. Aerobic exercise burns up more carbs, so they need to be replenished. Skim milk has a good ratio of carbs and protein and with a little fruit, it seems to work out well. The composition of the post meal really depends upon the type of workout you have just finished.

I sometimes have some oatmeal on the weekends, after working out, but I always add some protein powder to it (after it has cooked and cooled down). I have also started eating egg whites, mainly hardboiled, as an additional protein source to eat with the oatmeal.

I don't eat other whole grains, although, I have had some cottage cheese on a piece of toast, which is also a good post workout meal/snack.

Protein is always recommended after lifting weights. There is a 30-60 min window when your muscles are most open to accepting the protein and carbs to replenish what was used up during your workout. Adding some healthy fats like nuts, avocado, flaxseed, etc. can also be helpful.

Just be careful to keep your calories within range. Sometimes people get into trouble adding protein drinks, without considering their other daily food intake. We are probably the exception, since we already track our food intake.

Salmon or any other dense protein are also great post-workout meals. Bring a few walnuts, with your protein shake. Nuts don't have much protein and are considered a healthy fat. The combination of a shake with nuts is great.

Gail
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Price S.
on 5/9/12 7:28 am - Mills River, NC
I'm still not doing much areobic stuff.  I hope to get back to Zumba really soon because that was such fun.  At this point, I do the bike for 20 min, 5-8 min on the eliptical or stepper, then do my weights and machines but it is all still baby stuff.  Then to the hot tub to stretch and bend my knee.  I guess my protein and nuts would be fine. They are part of my normal diet anyway, I just shift them to after my workout from whereever else they would have been in the day.

loverofcats
on 5/9/12 7:43 am
What you're doing sounds good. Once you increase the intensity, you might need a bit more. Also, stretching does need to be done after the muscles are warm up.
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

lerkhart
on 5/9/12 2:18 am
I usually have a protein drink then 1/2 graham cracker w/ peanut butter before I run on Saturday mornings(my longer run).  Then after I have a protein drink.

Stretching before and after also helps with the soreness because it releases something-cant' remember the name - into your muscles that helps them to repair them.

Thanks for sharing this Price.  I always have questions about what to do before and after working out.

Linda 
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Price S.
on 5/9/12 7:29 am - Mills River, NC
I'm pretty good about stretching after.  I thought the lastest was to only stetch after you have warmed up, not before?  Am I wrong?

lerkhart
on 5/9/12 11:14 am
I think I have heard that too Price. 

If I don't stretch or warm up before I run, my calves and shins will start cramping up even if I am fully hydrated.  The stretching just helps them not to start the cramping.
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Eliza55
on 5/9/12 5:54 am, edited 5/9/12 5:54 am - PA
Price  -
This is very interesting.
For me, I need to replace both glycogen and protein after a work out, or I feel completely drained all day. My trainer has taught me to work with "supersets" where you're working a different set of muscles while the first group is resting between sets, so I'm always breathing very hard and sweating profusely. 

Occasionally, I'll have a small protein bar between my cardio and strength training.  That seems to work the best, but it is sweet, and will often set loose the carb monster.  I do cardio before strength training, because otherwise I'll just skip the cardio... Other times, I'll bring a protein shake in a little lunchbag cooler.  Today I had a salad with fish, spinach, peas and tomatoes, and that seemed to be a healthy choice, but it's not as close to the work-out as I'd like.

For cramps and soreness, I find that a really good cooldown is the most effective preventative.  Also, don't work out hard, then cool down and sit all day.  Keeping those muscles moving throughout the day will cut down on the soreness.

I checked my body fat today - 21.7%.  Pretty lean lady here!!!
Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 304 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 428 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 491 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 509 views