Is it possible to lose too much...and other questions.

ywgchick
on 6/5/12 9:53 am
VSG on 05/08/14
Hi,

I'm considering going to Tijuana for VSG with Dr Ponce de Leon. I have a 36 BMI. I need to lose about 70 lbs.  I have no other health problems however I have a pretty good chance at developping diabetes (family history and I had gestational diabetes).

I'm sick of my weight fluctuating so much. I've probably gained and lost 500 lbs in my lifetime.

I'm 37 yrs old with a husband and two daughters (5 and 8 yrs old) and I have a few concerns.

1) Is it possible to lose too much weight?

2) Are you worried about the long-term effects? Will I be an 80 yr old grandma?

3) As a lightweight, do you have regrets?

4) Do you have some valuable insight you can share with me?

Thanks all!

southernlady5464
on 6/5/12 10:18 am
1) Is it possible to lose too much weight? I would have said no but a few people have...however most of us do not.

2) Are you worried about the long-term effects? Will I be an 80 yr old grandma? I was more worried about the long term effects of being obese with diabetes and high cholesterol. You may be an 80 yr old grandma, then again we could get run over by a bus tomorrow and all bets are off.

3) As a lightweight, do you have regrets? Only regret...that I wasted so many years to actually do something about my weight.

4) Do you have some valuable insight you can share with me? READ all the surgery boards, even if you don't post in them. Also read the regrets and revision board. And ask all the questions you can of the people here in the LW section.

And welcome to the lightweight board.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

lerkhart
on 6/5/12 11:19 am
Welcome to the LW Board. 

1) Is it possible to lose too much weight?  It is probably more likely with RNY or DS which have the malabsorption along with it, but I guess it could be possible if you don't eat correctly or obtain an eating disorder.

2) Are you worried about the long-term effects? Will I be an 80 yr old grandma?   I was like Liz and more worried about growing old with all the problems from being obese.  I'm sure I am a much better grandma now that I would have been with the extra weight on me.

3) As a lightweight, do you have regrets?  I have absolutely NO regrets.  WLS was one of the best things I ever did in my life.

4) Do you have some valuable insight you can share with me?  Like Liz said, read everything you can find about your surgery and all the other surgeries.  Be sure you can financially support the type of surgery you decide to have - taking your vitamins and supplements that you will need and the cost of having your labs for the rest of your life.

Good luck to you and be sure to keep us updated!!
Linda

14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Eliza55
on 6/5/12 11:47 am - PA
1) Is it possible to lose too much weight?  
I started out at a BMI of 37.5, and am currently about 6 lbs from being underweight.  I had trouble early on with being able to eat much volume, and I'm very active.  So yes, if I'm not careful, I could lose too much weight (for me).  My nutritionist and doc are working with me to stabilize my weight and give me back some energy stores without gaining or losing.

2) Are you worried about the long-term effects? Will I be an 80 yr old grandma?
I carefully weighed (pun intended) the options of WLS vs my co-morbidities,and quality of life.  I have a much better quality of life, and am now able to do what I want with my life.  If I hadn't had WLS and other lifestyle changes I made at the same time, I never would have reached 80, or been old enough to be a grandma.  But don't go into this thinking it is a panacea.  This is a major change to your digestive tract, and there are permanent changes that you must make to maintain your health. You can become malnourished if you're not careful, so you need to have ongoing labs and track them.

3) As a lightweight, do you have regrets?
I was a little naive about the resolution of my co-morbidities.  I am a bit unusual in that some of my co-morbidities have not resolved to the extent that I was hoping.  My sleep apnea is worse,  I still have problems with reflux,  I've developed lactose intolerance, and I'm having trouble learning to control hypoglycemia.  The last two issues are not typically associated with a sleeve, so you don't need to worry about that.  On a more positive note, my cholesterol has dropped, my heart and blood pressure have improved, and I can now be as active as I want, and I can do the things I love to do.

4) Do you have some valuable insight you can share with me?
I was self-pay, and it wasn't that much more than going to Mexico, and for me the ongoing support of a highly reguarded group was worth it.  I have a lot of respect for my doc and all of the staff in his practice.  They have helped me through all of the questions / concerns I've had, and been very proactive with respect to my health. They are also there for me for life.  They know what works 8+ years out, because they have patients who are 8+ years out.  The support group they run is fantastic.   I note that you are planning to go to Mexico for your surgery.  I recommend that you find a local support group to link up with, if possible.  My doc's group is open to the public and we often have people, who had surgery elsewhere, attend the group . 

To sum it up - I'm very glad I had my RNY.  I truely believe it saved my life, and now I'm more more assertive about doing what's right for my own health.
Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

Price S.
on 6/5/12 12:39 pm - Mills River, NC
Hi and Welcome to the LW board.

1.  Yes, there are folks who have trouble stopping the losing.  I got down to 111 but I was still in the normal range.  I seem to be staying around 114-117 which is what is ideal for me.  Most LWs get to a normal BMI when not all of our friends who have WLS do.

2.  Yes, but not as concerned as I was about all my co-mordidites

3.  No regrets except not doing it sooner.

4.  Read and learn all you can.  Ask questions.  no question is too silly or crazy.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Roz !!!!
on 6/6/12 1:00 am - Butler, PA
I'm going to be 59 this year and have 6 beautiful grandchildren.  My only regret was waiting until my 50's to have my RNY.  I could have enjoyed my Daughters and older Grandchildren as much as I'm enjoying the little ones.  They are amazed that I can jump rope...LOL  I have plans for the future to enjoy great grandchildren and I give my decision to have my RNY all the credit for my hope.

Research and learn as much as you can before making your decision about what type of surgery you are going to have.

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

MacMadame
on 6/6/12 11:54 am - Northern, CA
Lots of lightweights worry about losing too much weight. But honestly many more people never get to goal -- or get there and bounce up 10-20 pounds -- than lose too much. And losing too much with VSG is even rarer becauses there aren't malabsorption issues like there are with RnY and DS.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 304 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 428 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 491 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 509 views