New member here!

kat2
on 6/18/12 1:00 pm - GA
RNY on 07/19/12
Hi everyone,

I didn't even know this board existed!  Thanks to jpkermit for steering me over to here.

I am definitely a lightweight, my BMI is 33.5 with co-morbidities of Type II diabetes, hypertension and mild sleep apnea.  I have jumped through all the hoops and am waiting for the insurance company's approval.  My surgeon said I was a good candidate for the surgery and said that he would probably have to do Peer-to-Peer to get approval.  He's out of town this week and his coordinator told me that the Peer-to-Peer would probably happen when he got back.  My insurance company has 32.5 BMI as the absolute lowest that they'll approve, so I definitely fit under that.

I'm torn.  I've been reading the forums for the last few weeks, trying to get a feel for what life is like after WLS.  I've read (and heard) horror stories.  I've seen people who are many years out living a great life and think that WLS was the best thing that's ever happened to them.  Others wish they hadn't done it.  One minute, I tell myself if I get approved then I'll do it.  The next, I'm terrified and think that maybe I'm crazy.

I'm 50 and have found that keeping my blood glucose levels under control are getting harder and harder.  My PCP says that I'm getting more and more glucose intolerant.

I work at a hospital (the surgeon is at the same hospital but another location the next town over) and don't want anyone to know, if it works out and I decide to do it.  No one (except a few close friends) know that I'm diabetic and I certainly don't want anyone to know that I'm having WLS.  My surgeon asked me what I was going to say to people when they told me I was crazy to get WLS because I'm not fat enough.  I just don't want to tell them actually!

I'm confused.  I'm weighing the pros and cons and trying to decide if this is the best thing for me.  What if I do this and my diabetes doesn't go away/go into remission?  That is my worst fear, as I'm doing this mostly because of my diabetes.  I only need to lose about 60 lbs to be at an ideal weight for me.

I'm glad you all are hear and am looking forward to meeting everyone!

Kateri
dasie
on 6/18/12 6:30 pm
Hi Kateri....I was 54 when I had surgery.  I had high blood pressure with a family history of type II diabetes.  My BP did resolve during the first year, but I am once again on BP meds.  Even though my high blood pressure returned, I cannot even begin to express how much better my life is today, physically, mentally, psychologically, as a result of having WLS.  My biggest regret isliving my entire adult life as an overweight or obese woman constantly fighting that battle.  Although I wish I had done this sooner, I am so thankfulnow  at 57 I am as healthy and fit as I now am all due to my WLS.

MajorMom
on 6/18/12 6:58 pm - VA
Welcome!  There are some clinical trials going on testing doing the switch only part of the duodenal switch but not the stomach reduction to cure type II diabetes. They've been doing it for years in Europe with great success. You might ask your doc if the sleeve might be a good option to see if it helps the glucose levels go down. That would leave you an option to do the next step (the switch of the intestines) if the sleeve isn't enough. My understanding is that they are finding the RNY may not have a long term cure rate. Here's a study you might want your surgeon to look for . www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22684853  Good luck and please keep us posted. :)

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Price S.
on 6/18/12 9:21 pm - Mills River, NC
Welcome to the LWboard. 

I was 61 when I did a RNY.  I was morbidly obese but also had high BP, sleep apnea, arthritis, high cholesteral.  All has resolved but the arthritus, which is much better and that was to be expected.  I wouldn't trade my new self for anything and I just wish I had done it sooner.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Tonya499
on 6/18/12 9:27 pm - Riverton, UT
 Welcome.  This is an awesome board.  The support here runs the gamut.  WLS, personal issues, haircuts, bra advice....we got it all.

Start weight 226. Surgery weight 218 on 1/6/12    
UBi FIT
on 6/18/12 11:51 pm
VSG on 08/06/12
Welcome ! My BMI is 33.5 also. I am scheduled for the sleeve in Aug. I think checking into the sleeve for diabetes is good advice. I need to lose 45-55 pounds to be at a healthy weight. We're not crazy, we're smart, getting help to fight the battle.

Dr. Goal 137-140 my goal 130. Fantasy goal 125

Roz !!!!
on 6/19/12 3:43 am - Butler, PA
Welcome!!   It sounds like you got some good advice already!  Good Luck with your approval!!

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

lerkhart
on 6/19/12 5:01 am
Welcome to the LW board Kateri.  I live in GA also.

I had RNY and I had type 2 diabetes.  I have not taken any medicine for it since the day before surgery.  I had sleep apnea and high cholesterol.  I am now off my CPAP and cholesterol medicine.

It is a decision only you can make for yourself.  Read and study everything you can find so you make the best decision for yourself.

Good luck.

Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
wannabehealthytoo
on 6/19/12 8:01 am
 I am going thru the same thing as you are.. with 50lbs to lose but diabetic and have hp,hc it's not easy.  I am doing all the testing right now and see the surgeon next month.  Wish you the best.
Kermit P.
on 6/19/12 9:36 am, edited 6/18/12 9:37 pm
Hello!

Welcome to the board. Someone referred me here many months ago and I am telling you
this the best board ever. Very supportive and helpful yet honest. My highest BMI was right
at 40 and on surgery day it was right at 35. I KNOW I would have NEVER gotten below a certain weight without my RNY. I feel so grateful. I will say though that this needs to feel
right for you as it is a big change and committment. It has not been as hard as I thought it would be but I did a lot of soul searching and research before committing to this decision. Good luck with getting it approved and making a decision either way.

Please post again and keep reading!

~~Jennifer

p.s. many people tell noone about the surgery so if you want to keep it private that is okay!!!
HW/232       CW/145.2       GW/???
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 296 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 420 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 481 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 500 views