OT Middle Age Barbie and New Haircut

Ladytazz
on 7/27/12 11:29 am
I have been unemployed for 3 years now.  At first I wasn't really looking for work because my health was so bad that I didn't think I would be able to work.  I am on disability so while it's been very tough at least I've had money coming in.  I was getting unemployment for a while but I choose to stop getting it because I was unable to look for work.  My mother passed away last year and left me some money and that helped but I realized that I needed to start making plans to get back to work.  My daughter will be 18 next year and I will lose her survivors benefits, which is about a third of my income.  I need to make plans to be able to work part time.  So I signed up with voc rehab and started making plans to become employable again.  I was at my previous job for 8 years and while I was doing that I didn't upgrade my skills at all and what I was doing was becoming obsolete and it was finally outsourced, as is most of the work these days so I needed to catch up to what employers currently needed.  I took classes in the things that employers seemed to be looking for and made plans to get back into the work market.  After nearly a year it turned out that my plan wasn't realistic and it wasn't going to work out and I needed to make different plans.  Anyway, I have been working with job developers and I've been very discouraged.  I can only work part time and I am limited in the kinds of work I am equipped to do physically and I don't have any experience in a lot of things and employers aren't interested in doing a lot of training.  I haven't gotten a lot of responses.
I have gone to joined job networking support groups and done all kinds of things and I was referred to Dress for Success so I could get some clothes for job interviews even though I haven't gotten many, and also for job fairs.  I went today and it was really kind of fun.  I could tell the ladies were having fun dressing me.  I felt kind of like a live Barbie doll.  I have said this before and I don't mean this in a conceited way but clothes look good on me.  My stomach is flat because I had my pannie removed and with my Genie bra my chest looks good and I feel pretty confident in clothes.  I love the outfits they help picked for me.  And while I was there my phone rang and I got an interview at Walgreen's this Monday at 8 am!  Talk about timing.  I know exactly what I am going to where and I will feel very confident in it.  I also decided to get a haircut since the shop down the street is having a sale and today was the last day to get my hair cut for $7.  I like how it came out.  
I look kind of goofy in my nightgown but everyone says I don't smile so I made it a point to smile.  Now you can see why I don't smile much.
I'm going to get up early and do my make up and put on my new suit with stocking and my new shoes and new purse and I'll take a picture and hopefully won't put my foot in my mouth or say anything stupid and maybe I'll manage to get the job.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

fitby40something
on 7/27/12 11:37 am - Southeast, MO
 Congrats on the job interview and your day of pampering of sorts!!!  Sounds like you are doing all the right things.  That combined with your determination sounds like a recipe for success.  Good luck!!

Julie   Extended Abdominalplasty & Breast Lift 6/22/11

fitby40something  HW 240/CONSULT 238/SW 225/CW 170/GW 138
"Get busy living or get busy dying."  --Shawshank Redemption

terithecook
on 7/27/12 11:44 am - NY

Your hair looks great!  Just answer the questions you're asked and don't volunteer too much information about past employers personalities and you'll be just fine!!  Good luck!!!

lerkhart
on 7/27/12 12:23 pm
Good luck on your interview.  I love your hair this length it is very flattering!!

Just remember the job market is really tough right now. I live in a very small town and we had a part time 17 hours a week at minimum wage clerk job and had 120+ applications.  It was hard to even interview anyone that did not have some experience in the field we needed them for.  Don't give up just keep plugging away.  Hope the Walgreens job works out for you.

Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Price S.
on 7/27/12 12:38 pm - Mills River, NC
Tazz, your hair looks great.  Hope you have a great interview.  You can only control so much of it and you never know who else they are interviewing so just do your best then feel great about yourself whether you get the job or not.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Roz !!!!
on 7/27/12 12:52 pm - Butler, PA
I love your hair cut and your smile!!!  I can't wait to see your new Professional look!

I worked at the same job for 18 years and then the company closed their doors. I stayed home 2 years, had my surgery, and watched my 2 new grandbabies until I had the urge to talk to adults again.

Dress for Success is a great organization.  I took all of my good  "fat" clothes there. 

I made up a letter and resume and sent it to every person I could think of. I explained that  I was looking for a job and if they heard of any openings to keep me in mind.   I sent it relatives, parents of girls friends, ball team friends, cheerleading friends, bowling friends, etc.  Even a few customers that I had at the place that  I had worked at.   I had a job within a week and I love it! 

There is something out there for you.  Don't get discouraged if it takes awhile.  Like Linda said there are so many applications for the same job.

Prayers and (((HUGS)))

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

sevencats
on 7/27/12 3:51 pm
Best of luck with the interview, Taz.  Your hair looks great, and very professional.  I'm sure that the new 'do, along with the new clothes, will make you feel (and look) much more confident.  You'll be going into the interview projecting that you are the kind of person who will take your job seriously, and employers really like that.
southernlady5464
on 7/27/12 10:36 pm
LOVE the picture....

And good luck with your job interview.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Mama477
on 7/27/12 11:16 pm
You look great with your new do! Very pretty. I get what you're saying about smiling. I have a veneer / tooth on a post on one of my front teeth and think everybody notices. In reality nobody notices or cares!!! . Great advice from Roz -- in this job market it's all about networking. Get a good resume together and post it in Career Builder and Indeed -- more visibility the better! Good luck Monday!!!

Meg
  HW 236 / SW 224 / CW 164/ GW 135

Lee ~
on 7/28/12 1:32 am - CA
 Good luck Tazz!  You look great.

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 311 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 436 views