Three weeks out from surgery and doing great!

kat2
on 8/11/12 5:47 pm - GA
RNY on 07/19/12
HI everyone,

I've been reading every day, not posting much but wanted to let you all know how I'm doing.

I had my RNY on July 19th and am doing so well!  My recovery was uneventful and still is.  I went back to work at 2.5 weeks and it went well.  I work as a surgical tech in Labor & Delivery and August happens to be one of our busier months, so I went back to work on an extremely busy day and did well.  I went in the next day as well and we were even busier!  Plus, I work 12 hour shifts, so I was honestly worried that it would be terribly hard to go back so soon after major surgery.  I was tired after working but I usually am, especially when we're busy. 

I honestly feel like I didn't have surgery, other than the fact that I'm eating so little.  I've had no problems getting my fluids, my therapist with the Center is concerned that I'm getting in too much protein, I'm having fun with what food I can eat, I'm out and about and feeling like I did prior to surgery, just 30 lbs lighter!  Another great thing is that my blood sugar numbers have all been in the normal range since I came home from the hospital and that makes me the happiest.

I've been seeing the Center's therapist and it's been so helpful working with her.  She gets me and is helping me become the new me.  I have more confidence and am happier.

One great thing is that I fit into a medium scrub shirt at work (we wear hospital scrubs).  At one point I was wearing XL, got down into L and wore a L the first day I was back.  My friend (who knows that I had the surgery) told me that it was way too baggy and that I should try on a medium.  I did but thought it would be too tight and no, it wasn't!  I tried on the medium pants but they were still a bit snug in the tummy area but soon I'll be wearing them comfortably!  The Center has a clothes closet, so I went there and got some smaller sizes and can actually fit into a pair of size 12 jeans.

I can actually see my weight loss, especially in my neck and upper body and stomach.  I was surprised because everyone told me that I wouldn't see it but I definitely do!  I've always had a bigger neck (aka man neck) and I noticed when I was getting my hair cut that OMG, my man neck is going away!  That's so exciting to me!  I've started taking more care with what I wear when before I'd just throw on a pair of pull on shorts and a t-shirt.  I fit into a pair of shorts that I couldn't get into before and they are loose on me, yay! 

I made a zucchini lasagna tonight and my kids enjoyed it, so we had a nice meal together.  My oldest daughter has been in Japan all summer and she got home tonight and it's so nice to have her home for 2 weeks before she returns to school.

So, I'm doing great!  I'm into a good routine with my fluids, food, vitamins and protein and am getting them all in with no problems.  I have to set another goal, as my first goal was to get into the 170's, which I did a few days ago.  I haven't been in the 170's for so long that I don't remember when it was and it's a great feeling to know that now I am in charge and things are looking up for me!

Kateri
Jody ***
on 8/11/12 6:24 pm - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with
Congratulations - it sounds like you're doing great!!  Don't worry about what others say and you  CAN'T get in too much protein - especially at where you're at in the WLS phase!

It sounds like you're definitely rockin you're tool!  Learning to eat better - and you're kids are too.

Going to work so early after a major surgery and working 12 hour shifts - my hats off to you!  It took me 4 weeks and I hav a desk job! 

Keep rockin it - you're doing great!

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

Thenewme55
on 8/11/12 6:35 pm - WA
VSG on 01/12/12
Congratulations on the loss - the renewed confidence and the overall glow. I can can hear it! AND the bonus is......it just keeps getting better!

~gwen

HT 5'1"~HW 224~SW 212~GW 124    VSG 1/12/12
-8 lbs pre-op Month 1 -30 lbs, M2 -8, M3 -9, M4 -6.5, M5 -6.5, M6 -6, M7 -3, M8 -4, M9 -6, M10 -6, M11 -2 , M12 -                                                                                                 "You must start with a positive attitude or you will surely end without one."

Price S.
on 8/11/12 7:55 pm - Mills River, NC
Wow, you are doing great.  3 weeks is still early out and it sounds like you are well into the routine.  Welcome to the rest of you life.  Hang on, It's a wild ride.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

dgill1
on 8/11/12 9:08 pm
VSG on 07/24/12
Great update thanks for sharing!
lerkhart
on 8/12/12 5:46 pm
WOW - sounds like you are doing great!!  Congratulations on your success so far.
Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 296 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 420 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 480 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 500 views