Did everyone have a "bounce back"?

kat2
on 10/22/12 7:43 am - GA
RNY on 07/19/12
I'm just curious, as I don't really understand wny or how the bounce back works.  My surgeon told me that I'd get to a certain weight, stop losing and then gain 10-15 lbs back and that would be my ideal weight.

Did you have this happen to you?  When did you know that you were done losing? 

I'm just curious, as I'm at a weight that I'm pretty happy with but am willing to keep trying to lose, especially if I do gain some weight back.  I'm also only 3 months out and am not eating that much, so don't know that I could do maintenance at this point anyway, unless I want to start eating things that I shouldn't be eating.  I haven't had bread yet, am staying away from bad carbs, as they were my undoing in getting overweight.

Thanks!

Kat

MajorMom
on 10/22/12 7:59 am - VA
I don't know about everybody but I was told go as low as you can go, even if you're a little uncomfortable there, because your bounce back will bring you up up to where you want to be long term. I got to my lowest weight and bounced back about 3 pounds within 6 months and held that for 6 more months. Then I came up a little more, but if I'm honest with myself, that's from added carbs and volume. I'm still within 6-8 pounds of my lowest weight. My surgeon had predicted a lightweight's bounce back as 5 - 8 pounds. Ten to 15 bounce back sounds more like a heavier weight's bounce back to me. 

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

kat2
on 10/22/12 8:10 am - GA
RNY on 07/19/12
Gina,

Thanks for your quick reply.  How did you know that you were done losing?  You just couldn't lose any more weight?

I am definitely a lightweight, as my starting BMI was only 33.5 and it's now 24, which I am completely thrilled with!  But, I'm not stopping and will see what happens.  It's just wild to me, as I'm now at 149 and was in the 130s in high school and would never have guessed that I'd be this light ever again.

Thanks again.

Kateri
MajorMom
on 10/22/12 8:17 am - VA
My weight loss trickled down every month until the last 3 months were -.5, -.5, -1-- then I stopped. I was right in the middle of a normal BMI range. I felt that gave me a cushion and if I bounced back I'd still be in the normal BMI range. I think being at a 24BMI range now isn't low enough to stop at if you can go lower. Just my opinion. You do what you feel will work best for you.

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

kat2
on 10/22/12 9:00 am - GA
RNY on 07/19/12
I'm sure that I can go lower and agree that 24 BMI isn't where I should stop.  I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing and see what happens.  I'm just tickled pink to be at a normal weight and to have people call me skinny, something that's happened NEVER!  When I was in high school, I was skinny, in the mid-130s, but thought I was huge because all of my friends were about 95-100 lbs and would make "jokes" about how fat I was, so I've always thought I was big, even when I wasn't.

Thanks for your feedback! 

Kateri
Price S.
on 10/22/12 9:23 am - Mills River, NC
I just kept going and got to 111.  I looked pretty gaunt there but didn't stay there for long.  Now I seem to stay around 117-119.  I was hoping for 115-116 but haven't been back there in a while.  I think it comes from gradually increasing the amount of food we eat and the variety of foods (carbs).  I used to think it was was the loss of malabsorption and that could be part of it but I know I eat more and more types of foods than I did while in was in the serious losing phase.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

kat2
on 10/22/12 9:52 am - GA
RNY on 07/19/12
Thanks for the reply, Price.  I'm still not that far out and am avoiding carbs like the plague and am still having problems eating the dense protein like chicken, unless I make chicken salad out of it.  I'm still trying to figure out what I can eat but figure that that's part of the surgery, learning about the new way of eating and making it a life-long habit.  I don't want to lose all this weight and then start gaining it back because of slipping into bad habits and going down that slippery slope. 

Kat
MacMadame
on 10/22/12 12:23 pm - Northern, CA
My lowest was 112-113 and I am now bouncing between 129-131. 

Now there are a lot of different factors there such as I can't workout right now due to a head injury so I'm probably higher than I would be.

Historically, I immediately bounced back to 115-119 and then I did strength training and went up to 124-ish but my measurements went DOWN. So I was fitting into clothes that I could wear at 112-113 but couldn't at 115-119. Then I hit my head and immediately went up another 5 pounds to 131.

I don't think this is necessarily a normal progression. 

OTOH, I think the amout varies but I think a certain amount of bounce back is inevitable. After all, when we dieted before, we would gain all the weight back plus 10 pounds (or so). The average bounce back seems to be about 10 pounds so I figure that WLS can eliminate the "gaining it all back" but it can't stop most of our bodies from wanting a cushion from our lowest weight.

Though I was absolutely positive I would be one of the 3 people who didn't bounce back because *I* was disciplined.  Now I realize that if something happens to 95-99% of the people, then that is the way it works, not a sign of weakness.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Lee ~
on 10/22/12 1:22 pm - CA
I'm only 2.5 years out from surgery. I had to really fight to get the last pounds off. I have been at, or below my personal goal of 149 for over a year. I weigh daily and have a range of 141-143 that I keep as my goal. I can't afford a bounce back, so I keep a close eye on the numbers.

My surgeon said some people see a 5 pound bounce back. More than that is from poor food choices. I'm trying to shed a few more pounds in case the 5 ever show up.

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

dasie
on 10/23/12 10:02 pm
Lee...I don't remember how much you lost from all your plastics.  Did you lose much, and did you keep it off?  I'm still wanting my LBL and haven't ruled it out.  Dr. L told me to get to the gym and start squats because my butt is in poor shape an will bec corrected to only a point.

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 296 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 420 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 480 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 500 views