4 more days until surgery

groovykg
on 2/23/13 11:21 am - VA
RNY on 02/27/13

Starting to panic!  

First of all, I am hungry.  I wish I could eat.

Secondly, I have developed a sore throat so I am worried this will turn into something that will cause surgery to be delayed, but... at the same I time I wonder if it's a SIGN that I'm not supposed to have surgery. I'm my own worst enemy.  I'm also afraid I will chicken out on the day of surgery.  The closer I get, the less certain I become.  6 months ago, I was sooo anxious to have this surgery.  Now that I'm in the final stretch, and getting such unsupportive responses from people, it's getting to me.

I shared with a friend that I was having RNY next week and I don't think her reaction was very positive. This was over text message, so I couldn't get her tone, but there were a lot of caps, !!!!! and ??????  Another friend was also incredulous.  So I have just decided to keep it quiet until post-op.  I'm pretty sure this reaction comes because of my lightweight status.  But yes, I am more than 100 lbs overweight, and yes, I am morbidly obese, and yes, I qualify for my insurance to pay it.  So annoying that I keep having to justify this.  Maybe I just carry my weight well?

I shall end my rambling, induced by illness and low blood sugar and no freaking food!

walterswife
on 2/23/13 11:52 am

You will be ok. The reaction you got from your friends is what many of us got. Three years later and people still try to tell me I wasn't that big. YES I WAS!  Hope your throat starts feeling better. I "nutted up" the morning of surgery and threatened to get up and leave. My friend calmed me down by encouraging me to look to the future. I'm so glad she did. 

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

MajorMom
on 2/23/13 6:44 pm - VA

Hang in there, you can do this. Forget the naysayers, you got this.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Roz !!!!
on 2/23/13 9:16 pm - Butler, PA

Maybe you do carry you weight well but I got the same responses and the same texts and some of my family had me believing it but if you look at my before/after pictures you will see i WAS FAT!!!!!   At 4 years out I still have people who are close to me say they never thought of me as overweight. 

It's hard to imagine but you are going to feel so much healthier and so much happier when you get that extra weight off.  I enjoy life so much more and it's not just  things like running around playing with the kids which is awesome but it's about feeling healthy, not fearing going to the Drs. and getting on the scales, self esteem, not yoyo dieting, and how people treat you different when you are thinner.   

Keep us updated and stay close to the boards after surgery.  We are here if you have concerns.

Prayers and (((HUGS)))

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

lerkhart
on 2/24/13 8:43 am

Hope you have calmed down some!!  I got cold feet too, had a sore throat the week before and had to be on an antibiotic.  I was so afraid they would cancel my surgery, but the antibiotic worked and all was fine - one of the best things I ever did and I'm so glad I didn't back out..

Good luck and keep us updated.  Are you on a liquid diet?  Can you add some milk or fruit?

Linda

14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
groovykg
on 2/24/13 10:00 am - VA
RNY on 02/27/13
Calmer now, thanks for checking

Also less hungry today, day 5 of Pre-op liquid. That was kind of weird to wake up with no appetite. I even tossed a protein shake I had only had a few sips of. The whole day has been like that. I actually felt FULL eating jello. This is so strange.

So, cold has arrived: nasal congestion and sneezing and my ears feel itchy when I swallow. I guess I have to call surgeon in the morning. My guess is they will have me go to pcp for evaluation.

So, I'm pro surgery again the lightweight board helps me so much more than the main board. Thank you, ladies.

LucysJourney
on 2/24/13 10:13 pm - VA
RNY on 01/14/13

I feel your pain...Just before my surgery on 1/14/13 I too was sick.  I was able to go through with my surgery because I didn't have a tempurature...what I did have was the nagging cough that stayed with me for two weeks AFTER surgery...so I am thinking...call your surgeons office and see what they say...

~~ Lucy

groovykg
on 2/25/13 3:51 am - VA
RNY on 02/27/13

I spoke to surgeon this AM and she wants me to be evaluated by PCP, so I have an appt this afternoon.  PCP is supposed to fax a note with results of visit, good or bad.  But, I have no idea if this is even the worst of it.  No fever or anything, just a head cold.  

And, joy of joys, AF has arrived.

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 299 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 424 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 485 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 504 views