Protein coffee?

imnobrn_jb
on 2/23/13 11:24 am - Easton, MD

I see many of you post protein coffee in your menus.. How do you make this?  I thought you couldn't use the powders in anything too hot?  I love my AM coffee and if I could make it beneficial, well I wouldn't need to feel guilty!

daniaj
on 2/24/13 8:08 am - OR

My surgery was 2/14 and have always been a huge coffee consumer. Since surgery I've been very limited on coffee and this morning the milk ran out...grrrr. So, hubby and improvised and it was the best coffee I've had in a while! One chocolate premier protein shake (11 oz, 160 cal, 30g protein) and 8 oz coffee. Mochalicious!

RNY 02/14/13 - HW 268 - SW 252 - CW 146 - GW 140 - 5' 9"

lerkhart
on 2/24/13 8:58 am

Here is how I make mine.  I have a Keurig coffee maker.  I make a cup of decaf coffee, add splenda.  In a cup measuring cup I add about 1/2 cup of Hood Calorie Count Down Milk, Syntrax Nectar Cappuccino Protein Powder stir it together until it is mixed well and no lumps are left.  Pour this into the hot coffee.  It won't lump if you have dissolved it into warm or cold liquids prior to mixing it in the hot liquid.

Linda

14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
MajorMom
on 2/24/13 9:33 am - VA

1 - 20 oz shaker cup with wire ball
4 to 6 oz of 1/2 & 1/2, water, Lactaid milk, or any combo of low carb fluid
1 to 1 1/2 scoops of Syntrax Nectar vanilla protein powder (JayRobb vanilla whey protein isolate is also good. Look for a protein powder where whey protein isolate is the first ingredient)
small splash of DaVinci cinnamon sugar free syrup or a dash of ground cinnamon and a packet of Truvia or Splenda
{shake} until blended

Pour into large/huge huge mug
Add 9 to 10 oz of hot brewed coffee (decaf or reduced caffeine)
{stir}

Add hot liquid to cold liquid to avoid lumps. Keep the protein slurry below 160 degrees.

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Price S.
on 2/24/13 10:07 am - Mills River, NC

Linda, Gina and I all love our protein coffee but all make it a little differently.  I brew my decaf in a 5c maker.  I mix 1.5 scoop protein powder into about 1/2c warm water with a spoon.  I use mint cookie, chocolate, vanilla, chocolate carmel, almost anything.  then I use the protein for a "creamer" for what ends up being 2 very large cups of decaf.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Poppygail
on 2/24/13 6:36 pm - Florence, KY
RNY on 03/06/13

I make a large cup of Kuerig coffee, add a splash of Davinci sugar free Coconut Coffee Syrup, and mix 1 scoop of Jay Robb Vanilla Whey Protein into 2 oz. room temp. water until completely dissolved then stir this into the coffee/coconut mixture. Makes a wonderful tropical mocha concoction with 25g protein.

imnobrn_jb
on 2/24/13 8:20 pm - Easton, MD
Thank you everyone! I will try these recipes and drink my coffee guilt free

Margaret Smith
on 2/26/13 5:18 pm - Lake Wales, FL

Good morning,

You can mix your protein in anything you like.I drink mine in my coffee every day,I have a protein bottle shaker and I fill it up to 12 oz and put 2 scoops of protein powder*25 grms per scoop* then I shake it all up very good then I pour into lrg coffee cup and enjoy,I do this 2 times each morning so I get my 100 grms of protein and if I dont do it in the morning I do it in the afternoon when I drink coffee.I also make icecoffee with mix it same way and when it cools I put in fridge over night until very very cold and shake it up again before I drink it.I like chocolate so I buy it from walmart I get frosty chocolate protein powder like $21;00 for a lrg container.I dont use no creamer or sweetner in it like some ppl its sweet enough for me,2 grms sugar perscoop.

Choice your flavor and enjoy,

Margaret

Susiekay
on 3/1/13 1:14 am
RNY on 04/24/12

I have noticed most of you choose decaf coffee.  I usually have 3 protein coffee's a day, full caffeine  is this bad?  I do not care for decaf because, to me, it tastes bitter.

avidreader
on 3/2/13 2:55 am - Cary, NC

I don't know that full caffeine is bad, but I think it's bad for ME.  I make 1/2 caf, 1/2 decaf and I have at least 4 cups every morning, with protein in every one.  I, too, have a totally different routine for mixing, but the thing we all have in common - we mix our protein with water, creamer, milk, etc. BEFORE adding to hot coffee;  hot coffee will make undissolved protein lump and cook and it will be plain gross!!  I actually have several hand held blenders I use to dissolve all of the powder - I have cheap milk frothers and I have several of the Paul Deen salad dressing mixers - these work great (I look for them on ebay and buy them when I find a good price - they can get really expensive).

Highest/Surgery/Current/Goal
250/241/139.5/125
I have a new philosophy, I'm only going to dread one day at a time.  Charlie Brown
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 307 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 431 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 495 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 515 views