Setting weight goals?

groovykg
on 2/25/13 9:57 pm - VA
RNY on 02/27/13

I was just looking at my ticker and decided that my real secret goal is actually lower, though I have tons of other goals that are just as important.   I certainly don't want to set my sights too low, but I also don't want to underestimate myself, set it too high and then get lazy.

Are you going with surgeon's goals? Personal goals? Realistic goals?

Trish06
on 2/25/13 10:02 pm
DS on 12/06/12

Hi,

My doctor doesnt set goals, he would rather you go how your feeling and your clothes are fitting then the weight and scales. Well that being said I do set goals for myself small ones I like to be able to hit them. My first goal was to get to 199, my next 175 each time I hit one I set a new one. Best of luck

Trish

DS 12/06/12 Dr Kemmeter

Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 8/14/2014

Lbl, bl/ba, al, tl, fl

HW/255  SW/239  CW/129

Missirenee
on 2/25/13 10:37 pm - Orient, OH
RNY on 01/28/13

My doctor never set an actual goal other than a BMI within normal weight-range for my height. All that being said, he also said he doesn't get hung up on numbers on a chart. It's all about making sure I'm healthy, and learning new eating habits to sustain my ultimate weight loss. My goal is 130 because I remember back when I weighed that I felt the best I have ever felt. of course, I was about 22 at the time. 

~Missy~

I would rather live my life believing there is a God, and die to find out there's not, than to live my life as if there were no God, and die to find out there is ~ source unknown ~ 

lerkhart
on 2/26/13 12:37 am

I think my NUT"s goal was 80% of my excess weight. She said that would be considered successful.  I hit that and decided to go for a normal weight.  Hit that and decided to go lower so I would have some bounce back room.  Sometimes I don't think I went low enough. 

I suggest you go as low as you can go, you can adjust your goal as you drop the weight. 

Good luck.

Linda

14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Price S.
on 2/26/13 3:57 am - Mills River, NC

My first goal was 140 because I thought it was possible and I remember being there for a while and feeling ok.  I hit it and kept going.  then it was to get to normal BMI, 124 for me.  Got to that and kept going.  I ended up at 111 which was really thin but have settled in around 124 these days.  I'd still like to get back to under 120 and am working on that.  I agree with those who will tell you to just keep on keeping on until your body says it is stopping.  You may look pretty thin for a while but bounce back is real and it will happen. 

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Candy V.
on 2/26/13 7:25 am - MI
RNY on 09/12/12

I have been thinking the same as you.  I believe I will reset mine down to a normal bmi which is only 4 lbs lower than my first goal.

My surgeons goal was 162#s and my goal is 146 now.

RNY 9/12    TT 9/13    HT 5' 4"   HW 250    SW 242   CW 125

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want a group invite?  Send a PM  

Ladytazz
on 2/26/13 7:27 am

I think most of us have different goals for our weight.  I know that I had two.  My first was to get to 140 since that would give me a normal BMI and it was also 100 lbs total lost.  My best case scenario was 120 because that was half my top weight and it was also a weight I had been before and felt good at.

I always think it's best to be realistic and find a weight that you can live with even if it's not "perfect".  With my first WLS even though I got down to 120 at one point, for about 10 minutes, I leveled out for a while at about 150 and I decided that was a weight that I could live with because I wasn't willing to live on the amount of food it would have taken to get lower.  At that time I had no restriction so I was pretty hungry and didn't want to starve myself to get to a lower weight.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

MacMadame
on 2/26/13 12:06 pm - Northern, CA

My only number goal was a normal BMI. But my surgeon and I talked about other (lower) numbers. And I did eventually reach them.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 290 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 415 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 475 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 496 views