Rapid weight gain? B12

Rosestar
on 7/9/13 4:16 am

My food intake is the same. I gained 20 lbs in a month! My weight is still climbing. My plan is to get my thyroid tested. I went through all this to get the surgery and now I am gaining and it sucks. I need to get some protein powder and use that as a snack! I don't get enough protein daily, I am sure.

I was in the hospital a while back and they tested my B12, it is terribly low. Does anyone get B12 injections or have you been able to bring it back up by taking B12 orally?

Thanks,

Rose

Jody ***
on 7/9/13 7:18 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with

I have found that taking a sublingual B12 works well for me.  My B12 has been up/down..  not sure if it contributes to your gain though. 

Good you're getting your thyroid checked.  Have you started any new medications?

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

southernlady5464
on 7/9/13 9:40 am

Rose, I don't suffer with low B12 but PLEASE get it up as fast as you can...sublingual, injections, whatever! Just get it up.

Being low on B12 can cause PERMANENT neurological issues. Low B12 is a KNOWN cause of Peripheral Neuropathy. (HIGH B6 is also a KNOWN cause so do not take a B complex unless you are low in ALL of them).

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

lerkhart
on 7/9/13 11:42 am

Rose,

I use the sublingual, but mine has never been low so I don't know if that would bring it back up as fast as the shots would.

I know that my malabsorption seemed to last longer than most.  I wonder if yours has stopped now,  when mine stopped I had to adjust my diet and exercise to take that into account. 

Do you log your food into a program to keep up with your stats?  That might be something you can start with or posting it on Roz's Menus and Miles each day and see if someone can give you some advise.

Good luck.

Linda                                                                                                                         

14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
(deactivated member)
on 7/10/13 9:13 pm

I know I eat a lot when I'm vitamin deficient ( as a matter of fact hunger  is THE sign that tells me I need to step up vitamin -wise ).  If U listen to what Ur body is desiring it will tell U where the deficiencies are .  Personally if its calcium ... or a lot of different vites ...

Ive found my body really responds to kale /broccoli/stewed collard greens on one hand ... and pureed fresh spinach on the other ( make it tasty with a bit of stewed garlic and f at free half and half ...), far more effectively than vitamin pills in my case anyway. 

Its amazing how a few bowlfuls of tasty kale will make leg cramps go away , posture noticeably straighter and even tooth enamel stronger ... I guess its related to the high  bioavailability of plant-based calcium .  Find me a long term vegetarian WITHOUT amazing posture teeth hair and bones !

(((()))))

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 288 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 413 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 475 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 496 views