Considering VSG

merwyns
on 12/11/13 4:47 am
VSG on 01/14/14 with

Hi all,

A little background on me.  I'm 38, have a 34 BMI and have been battling weight for the last 15 years or so. I have PCOS, hypothyroid, insulin resistance, joint issues, and high cholesterol.  No major comorbidities, but family history is all there.  Mom and grandfather have diabetes, everyone has high blood pressure. Grandmother died at 50 of a heart condition (had quadruple bypass at 50).  I've lost and regained the same ~40 lbs several times. Each time the losing gets harder and the gaining gets easier.  I participated in a medically supervised 27 week intense diet/exercise program only to fall off the wagon when we brought my newborn son home. I've continued to eat in (relative) moderation and exercise at least 2x per week on average. My endocrinologist brought up VSG as a possible next step in order to prevent diabetes and other complications regarding my weight.  My therapist of the last 7 years is on board as well. So I did my research and have booked a surgical consult.  

So now I'm starting to panic . I have approximately 50-60 lbs to lose (though I can't even imagine getting that small). I to keep asking myself is it going to be worth it, and will I end up failing in the long run?  Have any of you done this surgery with just 60 lbs to lose? What are some things I should be looking out for or thinking about?  Obviously I'm self pay since insurance won't look at me without a 35 BMI and I don't have any major comorbidities.  My husband is super supportive and is excited to see me start this journey.  I'd love to hear war stories and anything I should be on the lookout for.

Thanks all!

~Mer

TexasTerritory
on 12/11/13 7:02 am
VSG on 07/22/13
I love my sleeve. I want to lose 100 pounds even though my doctor's goal is to lose 60 pounds. I am track for both goals. I did not have co-morbidities and my BMI was 39. I am 5' 1". My insurance paid for my surgery without any problem. I wanted surgery to avoid becoming sick with diabetes and high blood pressure. My experience has been awesome. I am able to easily follow my doctor's plan. I feel great and love cleaning out my closet. I am wearing smaller clothes every two weeks. Enjoy the journey. Good luck.

Cricket2000
on 12/11/13 7:08 am - IN

My situation was similar to yours, except I'm older than you.  

I have not regretted a thing.  It has been a great decision for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was self pay, went with Aceves, and loved him and his staff.  I even went by myself for the surgery.  I have small children, and my husband stayed home with them.

Shop doctors, prices and ask a lot of questions!!!!

I am 5 foot 8 inches tall, my highest weight was 210, my surgery weight was 190, and my current weight is 131.  I wear a size 4 in pants and a small in tops.  I am nearing my 3rd anniversary.  I am having a hard time coming up with anything negative to tell you.  My labs are great.  I check them every 6 months.  I was worried about having doctors shunning me after surgery.  That has not happened.  I do take a 20 mg of nexium once a day to avoid heartburn.  I hope to be off it soon.  Some people don't ever get off it.  You should look up the side effects of long term nexium use.  It can effect your bone density.  However not all of us have to take it.  

I don't have any food intolerances.  Some people do.  I am conscience of my protein intake daily.  I don't count calories.  I do avoid sugar because it is a trigger for me.  I have not had any bounce back weight as some have had.  I do weigh everyday to stay honest.

Pre-surgery I had lost and regained the weight at least 30 times.  Probably more.   I could not maintain it without the surgery.  Now I can.

The best part for me is that the obsession around food has changed.  Some how changing my stomach, has changed how I feel about it.  I no longer feel the desire to be Thanksgiving full several times a day.  I no longer think about food constantly.  This fact has changed my life.  

I think you can private message me if you want to.  I won't put my phone number on the page but, I would email it to you if you want to talk.  

Good luck in your research.  It has to be a personal decision.  

HW 200, surgery weight 190, Goal Weight 140, Current Weight 140, Height 5 foot 8 1/2
Sleeve Surgery by Aceves on Feb 10, 2011

Cricket2000
on 12/11/13 7:10 am - IN

One more thing.  Check out this forum:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

This is a great group of VSG'rs in maintaince.

HW 200, surgery weight 190, Goal Weight 140, Current Weight 140, Height 5 foot 8 1/2

italianspice
on 12/11/13 9:17 am - Eastlake, OH

Keep reading and get as educated as you can.

Best decision I ever made

i was lucky and have no war stories was blessed post op

welcome aboard!

~Maria

SW 230 Preop 205 GW 130 LW 131 CW 135 Ht 5'1"

merwyns
on 12/12/13 8:17 am
VSG on 01/14/14 with

Thanks everyone for the kind words of encouragement - they mean a lot.  Everyone I've talked to has been supportive, especially if they've seen me through multiple weight loss tries.  I spoke with my therapist today and couldn't have gotten better encouragement. She walked me through all the things I've done in the past, all the research I've already done, and the expectations I have for my post-surgery life.  At the end of it all she said she has ZERO mental health concerns for me regarding the surgery and that she thinks I'm making a good decision.  So I feel better today.

Now for the fun part.  I have a very dear friend who had RNY back about 7 years ago.  Not only did she have major post op complications which resulted in her being in a coma for several months, she also had a new obstruction just last month related to her altered system.  Even worse, she has regained the vast majority of her weight due to not following her plan (drinking Dr. Pepper instead of water for example).  It's not like I can just not mention it to her - our kids are very close and one of them is going to say something.  I'm afraid my surgery is both going to frighten her for me and trigger her own issues.  Any suggestions for navigating this tricky part of the mess?

I go in for my first surgeon consult on Monday. Wish me luck!

~Mer

Cricket2000
on 12/13/13 1:19 am - IN

Concentrate on what you need.  Leave other peoples decisions and drama behind.  Spend your energy on research and listening at your upcoming appointments.  Big decisions ahead for you.   Concentrate on the facts.  

Mary Catherine
on 12/13/13 1:51 am

For most of my adult life, I have been on low carb, low sugar, low fat, high protein and some other diet.  I was successful with the cabbage soup diet, the rice diet, Atkins, South Beach, Weigh****chers, diet pills, B12 injections, doctor-supervised and many other attempts.  I always lost and always regained.

The only real difference after surgery is that now it works for me.  I had surgery six years ago.  Had no complications, take vitamins, stay on my plan with no problems, exercise and have kept the weight off this time.

Surgery just gave me the tool to do the things that I always did but helped those things to work.  If I constantly ate spaghetti, enjoyed hero sandwiches, drank Dr Pepper and had hot fudge sundaes for dessert then all of my weight would be back.  I still follow my plan and still wear size 4 jeans. 

Surgery is the logical step when dieting is not successful long term.  Attempt to get insurance coverage first. You can work on getting up to a 35 BMI and may then be covered.  It is worth a try before going self-pay.  Every insurance company is different.  I was required to have three month supervised diet.  My first appointment was May 29, second June 7 and third July 3 and I was then approved.

I was not measured for height and gave my height as 5'1. Sometimes I measure 5'2 but the extra inch put in the correct BMI for surgery.  I was careful not to get below the BMI before insurance approved.  I weighed 195 on surgery day after a week of clear liquid diet.

I lost 70 pounds of that and have regained 11 pounds.  I still have to be aware of what I eat, but am never hungry and am satisfied with small meals of mostly protein.  I believe surgery should not be a last resort, but simply a useful tool for people struggling with weight issues.

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 293 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 419 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 478 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 498 views