Newbie | Getting sleeved on May 8th

ywgchick
on 4/30/14 11:20 am
VSG on 05/08/14

Hi Lightweight board,

I'm new to this board. I've been lurking for a while. Now that I have surgery date confirmed, I feel like I'm ready to post. I guess I qualify as a lightweight with a 38 BMI. I am self-pay as I don't qualify for the surgery in Canada since I don't have co-morbidities. 

I'm getting sleeved on May 8th with Dr. Ponce in TJ. I'm equal parts thrilled and terrified. 

I haven't told most of my friends or family. Only my husband, sister and best friend know. I haven't told the kids either (7 & 10). As far as their concerned, it's just another (in a long line of) business trip. My travelling companion (who was RNY-ed 2 years ago) has decided to get plastics while she's there with me (I'm not sure who will be taking care of who :)) I haven't decided what (or if) to tell people when I'm back.

I'm debating telling my mom-in-law. I'm close to her so I think she'll be hurt if she finds out about it afterwards. She's morbidly obese herself. I think she'll be supportive. To tell or not to tell.

Thanks for reading through my ramblings.

I'd take any tips, suggestions or words of encouragement right now.

Height: 5'1 | HW: 200 lbs | CW: 136

lerkhart
on 4/30/14 11:40 am

Welcome to the LW Board.  Good luck on your surgery.

I told everyone and am still an open book about it.  Most everyone was supportive, the others I just ignored.

Let us know if we can help you.

Linda

14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
MajorMom
on 4/30/14 7:06 pm - VA

Welcome aboard!  

Wishing you all the best on the 8th. I didn't tell anyone but my immediate family and I only had to deal with minimum negativity...actually none really, they know once I've made up my mind their opinions are pretty useless. 

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

MacMadame
on 5/1/14 12:41 am - Northern, CA

Congrats! I'm over 5 years out from sleeve surgery and loving it!

I think most of us have a good sense for who to tell and who not to tell. I think immediate family needs to know and then you can play it by ear. The first 3 months, anyone you eat with is going to know something it up. So you have to have something to tell them. I think it's better to tell the truth but it can be a partial truth. "I had stomach surgery and I'm still healing" is the truth. But when you can only eat 4 bites of soft food and are losing 10-20 pounds a month, people notice!

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Jody ***
on 5/1/14 1:37 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with

Welcome! 

To tell or not to tell... there are good stories on here about this and horror stories... just depends on how the folks in your life are with you.  If you feel you should tell your Mother-in-law, do it.  Like MacMadam said, it is a very personal decision by you whom to tell or not to tell.  This is a very emotional journey and negativity at this point is hard to handle. 

My guess (depending on the plastics) is you'll be taking care of your friend! 

Good luck and look forward to seeing you here more!

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

Judy700
on 5/1/14 4:13 pm
VSG on 03/11/14 with

I'm recently retired so don't need to deal with people I don't know well on a daily basis.  I told everyone who sees me pretty frequently about the sleeve.  There was not one negative comment from anyone.  People who I don't see on a regular basis don't need the details.  Close relatives I did tell and they were supportive.  If you think your MIL would be hurt not knowing, it's probably best to tell her.  You might even make her receptive to the idea once she sees how well you're doing!

VSG on March 11, 2014. 60 yo female from Washington, DC area. 

HW: 235  SW: 230  CW: 134.5 (3/23)    M1:-19    M2: -13   M3: -10.4    M4: - 8.2   M5: -6.4    M6: -5    M7: -7.4    M8: -4    M9: -8.6    M10: -5    M11: -3.6    M12:  -1.5 Goal reached 3/23/15 in 1 year + 12 days following surgery.  BMI from 42.1 to 23.9 

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 304 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 428 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 491 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 510 views