I'm 5'0 @ 247lbs. Approved VSG but Considering DS

LatinCurves35
on 5/27/14 8:08 pm

Is there anyone with my height and close to my weight that had DS? If so what is your experience?

A. Kondrlik
on 5/27/14 9:20 pm
VSG on 01/24/13

I am a sleever not a DS.  Am 5 ft 3  inches, started out at 259, got to goal in 14 mos.  I had no complications, just some constipation.  many have had great luck with both procedures.

Anne

HW 259    GW 145    CW 140.2  Not finished yet?   

Tracy D.
on 5/27/14 11:25 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I'm also a sleever, not a DSer.   I am 5'3" and was 218 at the time of surgery.  Got to goal in 7 months and 1 week.  It's really not about how fast each surgery will get you to your goal.  It's about what you're looking for.  If you want a procedure that gives you restriction AND malabsorption (with all the pros and cons that go along with that), then DS is the way to go.  If you don't want to deal with malabsoprtion and a boatload of vitamins for the rest of your life, you may want to examine the sleeve a bit more. 

Good luck with whatever surgery you choose!

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

lerkhart
on 5/28/14 1:41 am

Welcome to the LW Board.  I did not have either surgery just wanted to welcome you!!

I am 5'1 1/2" and weighed 248.5 and had RNY - no problems.

Linda

14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Karamay
on 5/28/14 3:27 am - NJ
DS on 12/18/12

I am 5'3" and heighest weight was 242 lbs & I had the DS.  Best decision of my life!!!  You need to be more on top of you labs & vitamins, but bathroom issues are non-existent for me if I follow a low-carb type lifestyle..which I tend to like.  I lost pretty consistantly through the first 7 months & then it slowed down dramatically.  I reached my first goal, to be at a normal BMI, which for me was 140 lbs, at 14 months post surgery.  I still have 6 lbs to lose to get to my 2nd goal of 130 lbs before I have plastics in December, and it is going VERY SLOWLY!  But at this point the DS has done it's job without me having to do too much...I eat well but do not exercise.  I need to work at it more now to get off these remaining pounds...so off to the gym I will go!  Good luck with whatever decision you make!

DS (Lap) on 12/18/12 w/ Dr. Onopchenko, HW- 242, SW- 231, GW- 130  Height - 5'3"

Price S.
on 5/28/14 9:38 am - Mills River, NC

I used to be 5', now more like 4'10-11.  Highest that I know was 220 but I'm sure it was more like 230 really.  I had RNY and no problems.  If I had know anything about DS and there were any drs around here that did them, I may have chosen that.  I love the fact that they can eat more fat. 

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

MajorMom
on 5/28/14 7:00 pm - VA

I'm 5'1" and started this journey at 195. Lightweight DSr and doing well with maintenance and still taking way more vitamins than my surgeon recommends but the dietitian gets us. I also still drink about 4 protein supplements a day, they scratch my sweet tooth a bit. I follow Vitalady's vitamin plan; she's an ERNY, meaning she has a pouch like most RNYrs here but as much bypassed as a DSr. Anyway, after my labs started crapping out on my surgeon recommnedations he approved me trying Vitalady's plan and products and I had perfect labs at 1 year out. I just tweak the plan to go with my labs now and my dietitian follows me and helps with the tweaking. I'm probably one of the lucky ones, most surgeons and dietitians just don't seem to grasp how extensive our malabsorption really is regarding micronutrients. You'll hear all kinds of horror stories about the DS, especially if you talk to a surgeon who has decided he doesn't want to take the time to learn how to do it. Check out the surgeons list on www.dsfacts.com. There aren't that many surgeons that know how to do the DS, so choose wisely. Good luck!

--gina 

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

MacMadame
on 5/29/14 4:25 pm - Northern, CA

I"m 5 foot. I was 225 to start. I went for a sleeve because I didn't want to deal with malabsorption.

I didn't think I'd need it because I have always been able to lose weight on conventional diets as long as I stuck to them, so I knew I had no metabolic problems that required malabsorption to lose and also I had no exercise restrictions that would make lose or maintaining difficult. My big issue was that I was hungry all the time and all surgeries (except sometimes lap band) will fix that. 

I would have gotten a DS if I had exercise restrictions or metabolic issues that would keep me from losing though. Unless I had medical issues that made being able to take any kind of medicine more important. The nice thing about not having malabsorption is that you don't have to worry that you'll be prescribed something and then you won't absorb it. If I had a chronic medical condition like arthritis or fibromyalgia, I would have stuck with a sleeve even if it meant losing would be harder.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

southernlady5464
on 5/30/14 8:11 am

I'm a little taller..5'4" started at 208 (BMI 35.2) and I had the DS cause I KNEW I needed malabsorption but also required NSAIDS.

I got to 121 which was a 21.something BMI, now at 3 plus years, I am holding at 143. (Still normal BMI).

I eat lots of protein/fat and try to stay away from the carb monster.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Linda B.
on 6/4/14 4:12 pm - CO
VSG on 09/13/12

I am 5'4" and chose the VSG. I had Kaiser at the time so my choices were RNY or VSG only, they don't do the DS. I am happy with my results, I reached my goal in about 9 months. My DH also has a sleeve.

I have a friend who had a band and after suffering many complications, ended up revising to a DS, she is pleased with how things are going so far.

I will tell you what others have said, there are not many qualified DS surgeons around, so be very picky. If you choose to go with a DS, check out that website that was posted earlier, get on the DS forum and ask questions. Present a list of questions to use when you meet the surgeon. Do not settle for someone who is not properly vetted.

Best wishes as you ponder your decision.

high weight 230 start of journey weight 217 surgery weight 191 current weight 138

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 293 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 419 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 479 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 498 views