Daily Carbs.....How Many

JB1114
on 5/8/15 11:32 am - Grain Valley, MO

I'm nearly 7 years out so I should have this eating down, but apparently I don't.  During one of my post-op visits, the dietician told me I should have a minimum of 130 good carbs daily just for the brain to function.  That just doesn't work for me.  I have a 12 lbs. regain and just can't seem to get rid of those lbs.  The last 6 months I've been on a temp job and sitting all day.  I exercise but not regularly and I know I need to exercise daily. This job will end May 28th and I plan to take the summer off so no excuses for not exercising.

What should the limit for carbs be to lose weight?  Why doesn't a plan for 1,200 calories where you are eating healthy but including fruit and some starches not work?  I tried it and didn't work for me.  Do our new stomachs just not process carbs, healthy or not, like a normal stomach? 

I can't allow myself to fail and gain more weight.  I was on some weight loss program for 35 years before surgery and nothing worked.  I know RNY works and I want to work it to my advantage.

~Jo~

RNY: July 8, 2008

Dr. John Price

Kansas City, MO

Elizabeth C.
on 5/8/15 12:13 pm - Mansfield, TX

If it takes 130 carbs for the brain to function, that explains a lot about me. ;) Just kidding.  I am not going to have any real advice because I am only 6 months out and trying to lose, but I try and limit my carbs to 40 or less per day.  My NUT told me if it is working, great!  But if not, she thinks I may actually be getting to few carbs.  Every once in a while I splurge and have more carbs I usually see a drop in the scale within the next couple days (I do this if it has been 2 weeks or so without any movement on the scale).  I make sure they are healthy carbs though and I don't go crazy.  I could go to town on fruit.... especially this time of year, but I have to really be careful.

Good luck in finding what works for you!

5'-5" ~ Lap Band 03/2008 Converted to Sleeve 11/6/2014 HW 296 Start Pre Op Diet for Sleeve 226 SW 217 -9 M1: 202 -15 M2: 196 -6 M3: 186 -10 M4: 180 -6 M5: 176 -4 M6: 171 -5 M7: 167 -4 M8: 165 -2 M9: 161 -4 M10: 158 -3 M11: 158 -0

Price S.
on 5/8/15 6:55 pm - Mills River, NC

I know that at 6 months out, my losing slowed way down.  I found I could eat the same number of calories with carbs and not lose, with low carbs and lose.  I tried to stay under 30 net carbs (carbs less fiber) and that worked.  These days unless I eat a cookie or brownie or something like that, I stay under 50.  I rarely eat fruit, sometime will eat a low carb wrap or eat oatmeal but mostly my carbs are cheese and veggies. 

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

JB1114
on 5/10/15 5:04 pm - Grain Valley, MO

Thanks Price.  I'm going to work on keeping the carbs at 50 or below.  I do really enjoy Weight Control oatmeal once or twice a week. 

Fortunately, I'm really busy on a project that needs to be completed by Friday so I don't think about eating.  This job will be finished the end of the month

~Jo~

Dr. John Price

Kansas City, MO

Doingrightin2015
on 5/9/15 4:04 am
RNY on 03/10/15

I am not home this weekend but I have a breakdown of total number of proteins and carbs I should be working toward getting a day. I am thinking that carbs are limited to top 60's however, fruits are to be limited to 1-2 serving a day. And avoid white carbs at all cost.

Below is what I found to be good advise for those that are trying to get back on track that have had regain. I saved this as a ref for myself if and when I might need it and also shared it with a couple people that I personally know that are struggling from regain. I am sorry I don't remember who posted this on the boards but excellent job I do believe.

The first thing you have to do is detox from any simple carbs ( bread, pasta, crackers, sugar, potatoes, rice, etc.)  It will be white knuckle for a week or so but, once you get past the worst, you will stop craving them.  Simple carbs go down too easy and we can eat A LOT of them.  Your focus needs to be dense protein ( like chicken breast, steak, etc) and veggies which will satisfy you more.  Limit your fruit to one serving per day (remember that  serving is 1/2 an apple or banana, 4 strawberries).  NO STARCHY CARBS UNTIL YOU REACH GOAL!

Start measuring portion sizes out.  We obese people have a skewed view on what a proper portion looks like.  It's easy to let the portion sizes creep up on us.  Eat very small meals ( 200 to 300 calories each) 6 times a day.  That means you will eat a little something every 3 to 4 hours.  ANYONE can wait 3 hours until they eat again.  If you feel hungry between meals IGNORE IT.  Hunger is not an emergency.  Just because you feel hungry, doesn't mean you have to eat.  You won't starve if you wait until the next meal time.  Don't eat until you feel full.  Many of us use that "full feeling" as an emotional crutch.  Eat only until you are satisfied.  That means you have to eat slowly and mindfully.

If you are drinking with your meals STOP!!!!  Drinking with meals allows us to eat more food.  Wait at least 30 minutes, after you eat, before drinking.  The common denominator in weight  re-gain is drinking with meals.  That rule is a lifetime commitment.

Drink at least 64 ounces of fluids daily.  That is the MINIMUM requirement.  I have to drink 120 ounces to feel good.  Everyone is different and you need to find that balance for yourself.

Take your vitamins.  This is NOT an option.  Your health depends on  it.

Your tool is still there, but you have to use it the way it was designed to work.  YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!

Get into a support group or find a therapist if you are struggling.  Coming to this site helps keep you stay focused on what you need to do.

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!

Doingitright2015

HW in life 282 HW265 at start SW 244 CW170

JB1114
on 5/10/15 5:00 pm - Grain Valley, MO

Thank you for great advice.  I never drink with meals.  It's actually causes me pain.   I'm doing everything you suggested EXCEPT.....I eat too many carbs.  I never eat bread but occasionally eat corn, maybe 1/4 cup,  a potato once in awhile and snacks.

I will be writing everything down and I need to get in some exercise.

~Jo~

Dr. John Price

Kansas City, MO

Candy V.
on 5/12/15 11:31 am - MI
RNY on 09/12/12

I have a different plan than most on this site. For what it is worth to you I have my tracker set to 150 carbs 115 protein 25 fiber and 50 fat. 1500 calories daily keeps me at a bmi of 22.

i do eat fruits and potatoes. No rice and very limited breads. 

RNY 9/12    TT 9/13    HT 5' 4"   HW 250    SW 242   CW 125

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want a group invite?  Send a PM  

JB1114
on 5/13/15 6:12 am - Grain Valley, MO

Candy, your plan is very different.  I posted this message here and on the RNY board and got a lot of answers.  I do high protein, low carb for a few weeks then I get cravings for carby foods.  I don't eat rice.  Never cared much for it and it doesn't sit well in my pouch. 

Do you exercise regularly?  Exercise, or lack thereof, is difficult for me.  I just don't like it.  I've been working a temp job for the past 6 months so I'm sitting all day.  The job ends May 28th and I'll be home and much more active.  I know I need to do some kind of exercise on a regular basis.

Thanks for your input.  I might give that a try although I think 1500 calories is too many for me.  I am an older, but getting better, adult. 

~Jo~

Dr. John Price

Kansas City, MO

Candy V.
on 5/13/15 8:48 am - MI
RNY on 09/12/12

I Avoid rice mainly because it upsets my pouch. 

I don't exercise much. I have pins in my si joint and it gets sore.  I walk and try line dancing some. Not more than one or two times weekly.   Lately not at all. 

As for the food I have small meals often. About 300 calories 5 x daily. 

Mi also have a desk job 

RNY 9/12    TT 9/13    HT 5' 4"   HW 250    SW 242   CW 125

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want a group invite?  Send a PM  

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 288 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 413 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 475 views
Still kickin'...