VSG Maintenance Group

The Good Stuff

Julie2010
on 1/29/11 1:00 am, edited 1/29/11 1:28 am
I pulled out my pro and con list last night that I made before surgery, I haven't looked at since then. It was a great reality check. All of my worries and fears were for nothing. What I've "gained" has been priceless.

The overweight mind game is far worse than the current one. There was one excerpt about not being able to "hide" behind my weight. I feel so "free" from that former self. Even though I'm hard on myself because I'm scared to lose what I've got going on... I just can't deny how far I've come.

I ran up 6 flights of stairs yesterday...yes it was still hard to speak at the top - but I did it! Pain free!

I took a bath last night and when I got out the water level didn't drop 2 feet! And I easily got out!

I wore size 4 jeans yesterday, yes they were a little snug with my +2 gain, but I was in them!!!

I look at tiny shirts, worried that I'm going to bust the seams when I try it on and they fit! Nicely!

I have actually taken clothes out of my 7 year old son's dresser to wear and they FIT!! (they were a bit big on him ;-)

I leave the house. I don't worry about running into people I know (knew). Not only do I leave the house, I don't have to "look" perfect either.

People say I actually look younger than my age right now!!!! Before surgery they guessed I was a solid 10 years older!!!

I don't really miss food. I tend to eat the same things, so if anything I'm excited to taste something new.

I get totally reaffirmed going to the mexican place and bringing home 90% of my dinner and working on it for three days and still end up throwing some out. (this isn't always, but it does happen!)

I painted my toenails the other day. I treated myself to a massage (and didn't feel mortified).

I am happier, more confident and excited to live.

Food controlled my life before surgery...

It feels so good to have ME back!

jimbovsg
on 1/29/11 1:15 am
I know what you mean.  I can relate to those experiences........well with the exception of wearing children's clothes and painting my toenails!    This "life" altering experience has liberated me from my adipose prison.   Great post!

JIMBO...  350lbs! lost!.....  TRIPLE CENTURY CLUB!!  HELL ...YEAH!  
MY  VSG......KICKS ASS!                                                                                                                                                                                      

I  am   6' 2"    

Lee ~
on 1/29/11 1:22 am - CA
Great post Julie!  I can really relate to everything you're saying... except the size 4!  I'll be so thrilled if I ever get there.  :)

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 1/29/11 1:55 am
wonderful post, Julie, I love it! 

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

Julie2010
on 1/29/11 2:25 am
well it was about time, eh?  This board has been such a safe and encouraging place for all my venting, ranting and worry; it was about time I bring the wonderful, positive and affirming elements of it all.

I do get caught up in the worry and tiny unsatisfactions (comparatively speaking).

Yes, I will continue to have issues, whether it be emotional eating and gross belly skin... but  this post is about the bottom line reality.

This surgery saved me in so many ways.  I am so grateful.  The problems I have now are petty. 

When I get down, I can come back to this post and smile.

It's all good really.  Be kind to myself.  I have worked hard and it does show.  Remember the little things, they do add up.

Life is good.
Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 1/29/11 10:35 pm
Julie, it's astonishing how easy it is to forget how far we've come.

I just found a pair of my old underwear and was astonished at how HUGE they were. it made me realize I'd come to think of myself as not that different than I was as a pre-op - this has started to feel so normal - so I went and looked at what pre-op photos I have and reminded myself.

the change is really amazing and I want to keep remembering this!

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

(deactivated member)
on 1/29/11 3:21 am
aaaaaaaaaaaaamen sister
diane S.
on 1/29/11 4:11 am
What a great post. Just love seeing stuff like this where people recognize and celebrate the joy of discarding obesity. You get it. Lots of us get it. Maybe its because I am oldish and learned a long time ago to find satisfaction in life from things other than how I looked in a short dress (because I was always fat and NEVER looked good in one or anything else). So I learned that I had to make my way in the world by work and brains and not by looks and that my value to myself and others was truly my character and tallents and not my bathing suit look. That doesn't mean I didn't yearn for those young good looks or wish i had had them. Its just that I can now recognize another point of view and find good in the somewhat atypical direction my life took. Sounds like you can too. And while it would be easy to have a pity party about all the past events where I was mistreated for being fat, well, i am not fat now and some of those people might be and more importantly, they are undoubtedly still stupid. So again, its great to see recognition of how grand life can be on the far side of vsg. Lets all remind ourselves of this daily. I suspect the most successful folks long term are the ones who get this.

And Jimbo, I dare you to go get a pedicure. Its fun.

Diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Linda S.
on 1/29/11 12:59 pm - Acworth, GA
I just went and looked at your before/after pictures and just have to say, GURL!!! You look amazing!!! 
Linda
My Blog - http://mwlj2010.blogspot.com/

louloubelle
on 1/31/11 2:05 am
VBG on 01/09/10 with
Great Post!

We do have a lot to be thankful for!

I love my size 4's too! Never even in High school was I ever in a 4!
I can even say I love that my daughter comes in and takes my clothes! I love that people tell her I look like her older sister! (yeah right)....but it still feels good! And she says daily I love the new you mom!!! My son and husband are so proud too, that makes everything fantastic in life!