VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » How much should our...

How much should our pouch hold almost 4 years out?

cindymissouri
on 9/12/11 9:26 am
RNY on 01/06/15
I am just curious.. and do you check with cottage cheese, i remember reading that somewhere..  thanks 
frisco
on 9/12/11 10:31 am

This is a loaded question.........Two main factors......

- Sleeve Size and technique used.

- How you treated your sleeve for 4 years.

Since the VSG is not standardized your end capacity can range from say 3oz. to well over 24oz. depending.

I've never done a cottage cheese test..... It doesn't make sense to me......

To test your sleeve capacity you need to have your pyloric valve "Closed" I'm not sure cottage cheese will do this.....

I think you would need to test with a dense protein that is known to close down the pyloric.

Chicken breast probably being the most effective to close the Pyloric Valve.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

cindymissouri
on 9/12/11 11:18 am
RNY on 01/06/15
 thanks Frisco..  Well, i have no idea the sleeve size i started with because my surgeon does the sleeve without the boughie..  i did not know this until after but i don't think it was huge .. and i have treated it well .. just learned to eat slider foods lately..  I will try the chicken after i get off liquids this week.. i am trying to undo some damage from the snacking.. thanks very much.   
Ms Shell
on 9/12/11 12:25 pm - Hawthorne, CA
I am currently at a 6-10oz capacity and have been for the last 2 years.  I still weigh and measure my food.  My meals are mainly 4oz meat, 4oz vegetable.

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

ThinLizzy
on 9/12/11 1:02 pm - Benicia, CA
I've done the cottage cheese test a couple of times, and I think the pyloric valve thing isn't going to make much difference because you eat the cottage cheese quickly and get an idea of capacity before food is released. Anyway, the idea is, first thing in the morning, eat cottage cheese until you are comfortably full, and then you measure how much you could eat. I think mine was 5 1/2 oz when I did it at 6 mos. out and about 6 oz now, more or less. I probably COULD stuff a cup in there, but I don't pu**** I do agree with Frisco that it has very limited value (though it's kind of fun to know). I could NOT eat 6 oz of dense protein now, I don't think. I haven't tried it, but 3-4 ounces and a few bites of sides does it for me...And if I eat stuff like chips, I can eat A LOT!! So, the key, as you know, is stick to protein

Lizanne

Starting BMI-38.5, Surgery 08/14/07

cindymissouri
on 9/12/11 2:33 pm, edited 9/12/11 3:06 pm
RNY on 01/06/15
 thanks for the input so far.. it does tell me i am not eating too much.. unless its a slider food.. those darn cheez its always get me, i need to stay away from them for life.. lets face it there are a lot of slider foods.  Apparently i found 23 pounds worth.  Its my responsibility for my health to stay away and control it..
bajahahamama
on 9/13/11 6:07 am - CA

I am almost 4 years out.  I've done the cottage cheese test. several times

1 yr, 4 OZ  Felt satisfied and ready to quit, 5 OZ, alittle uncomfortable. (About the same amount as at 6 months)

2 yrs out.  Felt satisfied and full on 5 oz.  I didn't pu****  I can get in an extra ounce from 6 months ago!  I had a cold and am not getting the same fullness signals,  my hickup and burp have disappeared! 

Almost 3 years out my results yesterday were the same as about 2 years.  I was able to eat 5 oz, it was alittle over the 5 mins of the test too.  Nice to know my sleeve hasn't changed in the last year. 

I did it a few months ago and it was about the same, my size has not changed much either, I agree you can get in alot of slider foods, or if you keep eating and picking at food you can pack it in.  I can do 4-5 oz fish, 3-4 oz more dense protein.  I am no longer on a PPI, are you?  I periodically take a Pepcid AC, usually at night.  If you are feeling hunger, could you be having acid that is making you think it is hunger?

Also not sure how much you are exercising, but it is so important for me to exercise to maintain or lose.

I got off track too, was not exercising and eating carbs. The nice thing is with the sleeve it is so much easier to get back to working a plan. the restriction was still there for me.   Good for you getting back to basics.  I am tracking my calories, that really helps,  I try to put it down before it goes into my mouth.  so I make a conscious choice.

Still Fawn
on 9/13/11 8:12 am - SIERRA MADRE, CA
I was just eating dinner. First meal of the day (fasting lab work and then a dental appt) and I could just barely eat a slider burger over 25 mins.. But it was too much.. No room for anything else.

I am still loving life with my sleeve! Been maintaining at or below goal for over 4 years!
"People spend a lifetime searching for happiness; looking for peace. They chase idle dreams, addictions, religions, even other people, hoping to fill the emptiness that plagues them. The irony is the only place they ever needed to search was within."   - Ramona L. Anderson

MacMadame
on 9/13/11 3:37 pm - Northern, CA
I'm 3 years out. I can eat about as much now as I could at 7 months out and my cottage cheese test shows the same thing.

Frisco, you should try the test. If you did, I don't think you'd doubt the cottage cheese stays in there. I eat it until I want to vomit cottage cheese and it takes a while to feel okay after that. 

I think the value is that it's something you can do the same every time so it gives you a calibration. With dense protein, it depends on how it's cooked, how dry it is, how well I chew it, etc. So I'd be getting a different result every time.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

frisco
on 9/13/11 10:06 pm

Yah, the cottage cheese would have the consistantsy/viscosity for repeatability.

Do you do a fixed time also? That would answer my question about the leak rate of an open pyloric.

Right now I have zero question on my restriction. The two proteins that test my capacity are chicken breast and stringy stew meat....beef or lamb. With 2oz. I'm there.....no way and I gettin 3oz. in.
I don't eat more than 3oz. of any protein. I unintentionally hit full a couple times a month by accident. Meaning I get to the pre-uncomfortable part before my 2 or 3 oz. portion is finished.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle