VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » Can we talk gallbla...

Can we talk gallbladders, post VSG?

(deactivated member)
on 9/22/11 1:56 am
So...here are my questions:

#1 For those of you that had issues with your gallbladder post VSG - what were your sympotoms?

#2 Did anyone experience the pain on the left hand side and not on their right?

Thanks, y'all!
Maintaining Cindy
on 9/22/11 11:30 am
Hi Rose,

I still have my Gall Bladder and I have had one attack!!  We were eating taco chips and bean dip, and I was not paying attention and over did it.

All of the sudden I started to get a bit of pain in my tummy.  I sat up straighter on the couch, and rubbed my tummy, trying to press the pain down.

It got so bad, I was pacing, and it would come and I would double over, then pace again, with my arms in the air, while burping, then double over in pain again.  It went on for 45 minutes and just about did me in.

My hubby and I think that is what it was, we are not certain.  I have never over ate since then, I am terrified of that pain.  No more attacks...

I think it is Carmalita that has a solution that will clear away all the stones without surgery, she lives by it.

Hope that helps some, I am sure others will chime in soon,

Cindy

(deactivated member)
on 9/22/11 1:11 pm, edited 9/24/11 2:02 am
I had my gallbladder out 6 months post op (April of this year).

1.  Symptoms.  During the first 2 attacks, I could not pinpoint where on my abdomen the pain was originating from.  I also had pain in my back between the right shoulder blade, I also had right shoulder pain that felt like post surgery shoulder gas.  By the third horrible attack, I could tell the pain was coming from the upper right quadrant of my abdomen.  The attacks (I assume when I was passing stones) had me writhing in pain, rolling around on the floor crying.  It reminded me of labor.  I had it taken out after my 5th attack.  All attacks lasted about an hour, except the last one, which lasted 5 hours.  Pain medication does not help.  The diagnoses of gallstones was confirmed via ultra sound showing stones and high ALT  and AST (liver) labs.

2.  I felt the pain all over at first, but then it finally settled on the right upper side.

I've not missed my gallbladder at all.  Getting it out was sweet relief., and a happy day!
PBJ
on 9/22/11 2:47 pm
I had one attack that was awful and was admitted to hospital for surgery the next am.  It was an awful attack..never had any problems before.  I got pain on my right side shooting upward.  Couldn't take it and went to ER...they did a CT scan and an ultrasound...then was admitted.  I had one attack and that was enough for me.  I had asked my doc before my sleeve surgery about taking my gb out since I had heard of so many people having issues.  He said no because I had never had any GB problems and if that happened, we would handle it when it did...well it did and he took it out!  No more issues!

Patty
My weight loss journey                                                    
(deactivated member)
on 9/23/11 12:28 pm
You're  so much smarter than me Patty, I went through 5 attacks and never went to E.R.  I look back now and wish I had.  I should have let my husband call 911 during the first attack.
diane S.
on 9/23/11 11:53 am
oops, i was asked to delete a mistaken post and i think i deleted one I shouldn't have. Sorry everybody. feel free to re-post.  I am a computer dolt.  Diane your moderator

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

(deactivated member)
on 9/23/11 12:26 pm
Thanks Diane, I'll repost.  You done good!
Birdie55
on 9/23/11 3:06 pm
I had my gall bladder removed 24 years ago....well before my VSG surgery.  But I'll answer this even though you asked about those after VSG surgery.

My symptoms were severe pain under my right breast, sharp stabbing pain roughly an hour after eating something with animal fat.  They lasted different lengths of time, sometimes pretty quick and sometimes long like 45 minutes or an hour.  At times it felt like a band around my ribs....squeezing enough to cause the severe pain.   I was diagnosed with gall stones by an ultrasound and had open surgery.  They didn't do the lap surgery at that time.  And they kept me in the hospital for 5 nights without complications.  

I have to say, by the time I left the hospital I felt better than I had in a long time.  So my having gall bladder disease made me feel sort of crummy for awhile.  The only thing that I have not really been able to eat since my GB surgery is pork spare ribs.  The grease gave me indigestion lasting 24 hours. Twice.  I learned after the second time.  

I have read about people experiencing pain on the left side and sometimes the pain goes through them from the front to the back.  But I never experienced that.  Good luck, sometimes it takes a couple of ultrasounds to get a diagnosis.  

Ht 5' 4  SW 181  GW 120 - 125  Age 61  CW 130

Edit   Delete          

sassyscorpio
on 9/23/11 5:59 pm
I had pain off and on about 4 different times which I ignored. It hurt, and I thought it was probably my gall bladder but it went away.

The night it did not go away it was so intense, I drove myself to the ER. They told me I had pancreatitis from ignoring my gall bladder symptoms. They could not remove my gall bladder until that was resolved. It took 4 days of nothing by mouth, only an IV for it to go away so I could have my gall bladder out.

The pain was always on my right side though, at the top of my ribs and sometimes went around my side and in my back.

band 12-29-06     revision  to sleeve  Alberto Aceves  4-29-09

I love my sleeve!!

Lost 107 lbs and maintaining

Posted Image

(deactivated member)
on 9/24/11 1:33 am
Thanks, everyone.