Before & After VSG with Kellyjean_46, losing 108 pounds!October 3, 2017
Why I Decided To Have WLS
For over 25 years, I struggled with my weight. I had tried all the diets out there. I'd lose 10 or 15 pounds but then I'd gain back 15 or 20 pounds. It was such an ongoing yo-yo cycle.
I had high blood pressure, severe sleep apnea and was pre-diabetic. I was told many years ago that if I didn't get my weight under control I would be dead by the time I was 30. By the time I was 46, I realized enough is enough. I could barely breathe. I was having difficulty walking past two or three houses down the block.
I would watch my young children shovel snow because of the simple fact that I couldn't do it and that was very unfair to them. I knew that if I didn't take control of my life, I wouldn't be around for my kids or my grandchildren.
Before & After VSG with Kellyjean_46
My Surgery and Post-Op Life
I had my surgery on April 8, 2014, and was in the hospital for three nights. I became dehydrated so I had to return to the hospital for another five days. I took 10 days off from work and on the 10th day, I went back to work. I can definitely say that it was the best decision I ever made and never once have I regretted having WLS.
I'm no longer taking high blood pressure medication. I don't have sleep apnea and no longer pre-diabetic.
Not only can I keep up with my children and my grandchildren but they sometimes have a hard time keeping up with me! I feel great!
I can wear anything I want and I can do anything I want. All the goals that I want to hit I am confident that I will. Not only can I wear a bikini but I think I look pretty good in one for a 50-year-old woman.
Special Milestone / Non-Scale Victory
- I'm 50 years old but I feel 25. To be honest, no one ever guesses my age-most people think I'm in my 30's.
- I can wear a bikini and feel proud of how I look.
- I no longer hate myself, to be honest, most days I love myself.
- I love the fact I can walk into any store now and if I like it I will buy it, all styles-I can even fit into junior size clothes!
- I was the big girl no one noticed but now I see a lot younger men looking at me and asking me out on dates.
- I fit in with the crowd at work instead of standing out.
- I can wrap a bath towel around me and have left over.
- I can paint my own toe nails.
- When I tie my shoes the bows are on the top where they are supposed to be, not on the side.
- I no longer have sleep apnea or have high blood pressure.
- I'm no longer pre-diabetic.
- I feel incredible. When I pass a mirror sometimes I even shock myself and wonder who that person is! Hope this doesn't sound vain because I'm the furthest thing from that but I do love the new improved me!
Share Your Before & After Success!
Celebrate your own Before & After WLS Success, milestones, non-scale victories, and inspire others! The OH team wants to hear from you to share your weight loss surgery journey. Visit our Before & After Submission page for details.