happyteacher’s Posts

happyteacher
on 7/31/12 8:46 am, edited 7/31/12 8:47 am
Topic: RE: 3 wks out eating, snacks, etc.
 Fruits at three weeks was not really sanctioned by my doctor.  Perhaps check with yours to see what the phases will allow.  It also seems like a lot of calories for only 3 weeks out...  if that is what the doc says then I certainly respect that, but if not then this is a great time to take advantage of the smaller swollen capacity that you have.  There will be plenty of time to up the calories later on in the journey.  ... and this is from a person who out eats most anyone on the board.  

Take really good care of that sleeve right now- it needs time to heal. 

edit: my bad, just read your response outline your doc's plan.  Avoid fruit with tiny seeds like strawberries...

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

happyteacher
on 7/31/12 6:35 am
Topic: RE: Low Carb BBQ Sauce??

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

happyteacher
on 7/31/12 6:27 am
Topic: RE: I'm already doing bad.
 Ok, what rob said.  Like!

On a side note.  I bought a enourmous container of muscle milk powder and couldn't stand it.  $50 or so if I remember right and nearly threw it out.  A poster here mentioned tossing the powder in the morning coffee- and boom!  I could get the junk down.  If it cooagulates when you put it in, next time let the coffee cool down a smidge.  It turns it into a mocha coffee and the coffee really, really helps to hide the nasty.

Give the pure protein ready to drink from sams a try- a great value and pretty tolerable getting it down.  If your other stuff was too thick- try adding a bit more liquid to thin it out some too. 

happyteacher
on 7/31/12 6:09 am
Topic: RE: Surgery approval - job cuts looming... PRAY FOR ME!!!
 Can you put a rush on your surgery date?  My group charges the full year of follow-up care on the surgery date- get it in before the lapse of coverage that way...

happyteacher
on 7/31/12 2:32 am
Topic: RE: Bougie size??
 Hmmm.... I don't know.  I know Frisco and that camp are strong advocates of a 32 with a skilled surgeon, and I cannot discount that.  I also feel pretty strongly that I can out eat most sleevers and that has been the case since the onset with my larger sleeve.  Consequently, I suspect that it is indeed easier to lose with that smaller stomach size- hard to know for sure because I have not experienced the smaller sleeve and the Frisco group has not experienced the larger sleeve.

You can see from my ticker, however, that my loss is humming along nicely.  I also appreciate not having oddly small meals now and that eating with the colleagues is not such a big deal.  I also appreciate the complete lack of side effects- no foamies, no vomiting, no reflux, etc.  Most importantly, I appreciate that my surgeon went with a bougie he was confident in using on me safely.  

What I do absolutely know for certain though is that a person can eat around any size sleeve and at the end of the day it is up to the person to control what you eat.  The sleeve cannot do that for you.  Check your sugeons stats and safety record.  I believe you can be absolutely succusful with a 32 or a 42!

happyteacher
on 7/31/12 2:08 am, edited 7/31/12 2:09 am
Topic: RE: That last 20lbs???
   I think Frisco has a many points that I am in total agreement with.  Yes, somebody my size would likely burn more than a woman a foot shorter than me and especially one who weighs less.  His analogy of carrying around a backpack filled with a 100 pounds works well here.  Overall, I feel like we are also in agreement with finding what works for you and making the most of it.  I think our difference lies in defining what is working. and the path to get you there.

Back when I made the decision to up my calories from the 600-800 range it was a conditional decision.  If my rate of loss dropped substantially then clearly it wasn't working and adjustments would need to be made.  And I should point out that it is tough to truly know the difference between not working, sort of working , and working well.  At that point I was weighing less and thus in theory a little harder to keep the same rate going so instead of 12 pounds lost in a month is 10 acceptable or 8 or 6?.  Stalls are an issue too-- is it a stall or just part of the progression for you?  This needs to be carefully considered prior to initiating a higher calorie range.  But, I will also say that if I had not followed the advice of the medical team I would have never known that my loss could be consistently very good without compromising my nutritional needs.  This is why I advocate being open to following what your medical team is serving up.  Is it possible that the higher range will not work well?  Sure it is.  Then it would be time to adjust.  But I think the improved nutrition is worth a try.

On the exercise note- if you think about it I could choose to keep the calories under the 800 without the exercise.  That would put me roughly at the same net calorie scenario as my current path that includes exercise.  Consequently, if a person is struggling with keeping those calories so low then a solid alternative is to increase exercise along with a small increase in calories.  I truly feel that for a significant group of folks here that it is a sustainable approach that will result in effective weightloss and maintenence.  

.I am in this for balance though- sustainable, long term habits that come naturally versus a constant struggle to adhere to a plan that doesn't fit real well for me.  I have to believe that overall I am healthier because of the better nutrition and consistent exercise.  

On a final note @ Frisco- I know that you are right about the substantial decrease in calories to offset the inability to exerice.  This next two weeks I have enough on my plate just dealing with keeping emotional eating under control, and I am feeling like if I add in the calorie restriction that it will end up backfiring.  I am just going to suspend the goal of weight loss for these two weeks and just focus on not gaining.  But with that said, you are right and that would be a better path overall if I could adhere to it.   I have had several bouts of no exercise for 2 week periods since wls surgery due to cancer surgeries and  some have gone better than others, but at this point I feel like I will be able to get though it and resume the weight loss in 10 days.  But for the record, it just totally sucks.  

happyteacher
on 7/30/12 11:22 am
Topic: RE: Bougie size??
 I am in the 40's and it is working awesome for me...
It is very common to see 32s...
The most impottant thing is how good of a sugeon you have with that 32!

happyteacher
on 7/30/12 9:10 am
Topic: RE: Aggravated!
 Just wanted to let you know that I was feeling for your situation.  I hope it resolves soon and the surgery goes off without a hitch.  Hang in there, hugs.

happyteacher
on 7/30/12 8:57 am
 Personally, I don't buy into the "most" people mentality.  I think it comes down to is it working, and if it is not are you willing to adjust.  Additionally, I think it is entirely possible that people who chose to keep the cals under 800 and less than 40 carbs long term may be compromising their metabolism, and it then makes sense that  a maintence level is 1200 calories.  

My medical team from the get go supported the lower calorie (800 or less) initially and by the end of the third month the higher daily range of 1000-1200.  Frisco mentioned that 1200 cals should only be for "extreme" exercisers- but that would certianly not describe me.  I do, however, exercise 6 days a week unless restricted by the doctor.  A daily exercise regiment is either 30-60 minutes on an elliptical or a 4-5 mile walk.  

Right now and for the next two weeks a cancer surgery is keeping me benched from the exercise, so no idea if I will be losing at the same rate... but for me that would not constitute a need to adjust my calories unless I see gain during this period.  I will make an effort to hover on the lower end of the range, but these weeks of being benched are emotionally trying- so if I use my full range then so be it.  I will adjust back to the exercise once I am able to. After a period of time (30 days) if I do not see results then it would be time to adjust down the cals and increase the exercise.  

With all that said though, I would not consistently be at 1400 calories during the weight loss phase.  That would represent a challenging day that I would need to make adjustments for.  Take a look at your carb intake, if you notice you are taking in more than 30 at a sitting then it may be that you are caught in a nasty little insulin cycle that is creating cravings and hunger.  I have had two episodes of gaining 3 pounds... both on vacation and both times my calories were not overly horrible, but I obliterated the less than 30 carbs at a time thing.  Took a week both times to erase that too 

Ok, now I am just rambling.  My apologies :0)

happyteacher
on 7/29/12 11:50 pm
 I am in the same spot as you are, although my monthly averages have been doing well.  My weight loss pattern changed.  No weight loss for 7-20 days, then a week of rapid loss, then back to the no loss for 7-20 days.  One thing that keeps me sane is using the report feature on myfitnesspal.com  You can check progress and set it to 30 days... I always have a good totla for a 30 day snapshot.  It keeps me from getting hung up on the daily weighing.

I also noticed my calories were spikng a couple weeks ago.  I was all of a sudden really hungry all of the time.  Kevin posted on a unrelated thread about the PPI for a newbie, and I realized that perhaps an increase in acid production could be the culprit.  I started the ppi (I had zero heartburn) and my calories immediately dropped by a couple hundred calories and my hunger returned to normal.  

Drop your calories to under 1200 if you can.  Add protein and liquids- alwasy seems to help me :)

happyteacher
on 7/29/12 11:43 pm
Topic: RE: cheating on pre-op liquid diet
 Excellent post Poker Face.

I would also suggest you check to see if you can not use slimfast.  There is a lot of carbs and calories without much (relatively speaking) protein.  There is a ready to drink shake called Pure Protein that you can buy from costco or sams.  It will do a much better job of saitiating you compared to simfast most likely.  More protein, less cals, good on vitamins, less carbs  The carbs are what can drive you crazy- minimize them if you can.  The first 4 or 5 days is the hardest, then it gets easier.

I had a cheat with 5 Guys in my preop liquid diet.  The sky didn't fall and I am doing very well overall.  What was critical about that cheat is what I learned from it.  A poster here pointed out that the hubby was enabling.  We had a looong talk about that and this was  a HUGE step forward in getting the eating habits cleaned up for both of us.  Try to identify what is causing the cheat (and also specifically the food you chose to cheat with) so that you can come up with a plan to not repeat the mistake.  

It does get much much easier after surgery, although you will always have to choose the right foods.  Hang in there and focus on constant imrpvoement- not perfection.

happyteacher
on 7/29/12 11:18 pm
Topic: RE: Double Chin
 At my highest weight i was solid neck and no jaw line to speak of.  Now, my neck is absolutely thinner, but as mentioned in the above post I have a serious turkey neck going on.  Plastics are for sure in my future.  In pictures I do look a lot better as long as my chin isn't down an accentuating the loose skin look.  I still have weight to lose, but I am creeping up to goal (about 10 pounds to go for my bmi goal) so I am thinking that I am not going to lose too much more in the chin area.  I am hoping the last 10 or so comes right off the hips!

happyteacher
on 7/29/12 11:33 am
Topic: RE: is my stomach stretching??
 Not streching, maturing.  I noticed a few weeks ago my capacity seemed relentless- started taking a ppi finally and it took care of that.  Protein first is even more critical now :0)

happyteacher
on 7/29/12 11:31 am
Topic: RE: How bad is the heartburn?
 I had HORRIBLE reflux prior to surgery.  Had a hernia repaired (worth the surgury itself) and not an ounce since.  I am 7.5 months out :)  Oh, I have a larger bougie- in the 40's (40 or 42 or 44... can't remember)

happyteacher
on 7/29/12 12:36 am
Topic: RE: 7.5 month out, with pics (hopefully!)
 I am right about at the same spot as you... mid 7th month.  Have you tried upping fluids or protein or exercise by chance?  Maybe a combination?  I truly can see an amazing difference!  

happyteacher
on 7/28/12 11:00 pm
Topic: RE: Sam's Club Items to Buy Post Op?
 Agree with princess- I shop at both.  I buy identical items from both places, just sometimes the sizes are a little differernt.  I did buy the muscletech protein powder from sams and I am not sure if that is at costco- but please know this brand is not endorsed by my nutritionist.  It is good for the protein but completly lacks the vitamins and calcium.  I am just at a point where I get all that from food and just need the protein from the shakes.  And it is a WHOLE lot friendlier on the wallet.  I still buy the RTD pure protein for work days.

happyteacher
on 7/28/12 10:56 pm
Topic: RE: Where on your body did the loose skin surprise you?
On July 29, 2012 at 12:13 AM Pacific Time, INgirl wrote:
I expected what I got..  I saw most of it the first time I went from over 300lbs to about this weight.. biggest weirdness- armpit skin! Makes it hard to shave.. the other, the "puddle of woman" effect when I lay down.. I look great, until I look along the side where my body hits the bed.. yeah, that's where the rest of me pools! It's odd. I have knee-flaps, elbow-flaps.. butt-ruffles and can grab skin and hike it up all over. Still look a heck of a lot better than I did, and as long as I don't bend forward, I think I look fairly ok.. bend forward.. well, there's a sail from my sternum down to my pubic bone! I joke, but this is what I feel like most days, only usually less furry:

Love the humor!

happyteacher
on 7/28/12 10:54 pm
Topic: RE: Where on your body did the loose skin surprise you?
 Ok, that is just plain adorable!

happyteacher
on 7/28/12 10:52 pm
Topic: RE: annoyed- just need to vent
 Is it possible she was just trying to be helpful?

happyteacher
on 7/28/12 10:50 pm
Topic: RE: Full liquid diet- confused
 Hi, not sure what the 30-30-30 is...

Yes, protein shakes count as liquid.  It is good that you are breaking your liquids up to make it easier to tolerate.  Try and keep a water bottle with you at all times and just get in the habit of constantly sipping from it (not before/after eating).  You can drink water before/after protein shakes though.  I am idateacher2 on myfitnesspal and my diary is viewable to everyone if you friend up.  My surgery date was 12/19 of last year so you can go back in there and see what I was doing.

I did a lot of greek yogurt with unflavored protein and torani sf syrup mixed in at that point, hig h protein chicken soup, sf protein jello, sf hot chocolate high protein, and of course relied heavily on shakes.  I would eat shakes or other protein sources about 3 hours apart to get in the protein.  In the beginning I struggled getting the shakes down (super filling super fast) so I did a lot of Isopure plus- goes down like Koolaid.  Made it much easier to hit the protein targets.  

Great job focusing on getting the liquids and protein in!!!

happyteacher
on 7/28/12 10:44 pm
Topic: RE: costco shoppers?
 Protein bars- be sure to check the labels most are very high in cals and carbs
Protein powder- again, check the labels for the same reason

Don't forget to look for whey isolate as the protein source.

happyteacher
on 7/28/12 10:38 pm
Topic: RE: Should I be advancing?
 Personally, I see no reason for you to advance if you do not feel ready given that you are hitting your nutrition targets.  With that said, you should listen to the surgeon as well.  Maybe just try small amounts of stuff to figure out if you can tolerate it, but from that point don't eat more unless you feel ready.  The quicker you advance your stages down the road the quicker to upping the caloriee- but that is just my opinion. 

happyteacher
on 7/28/12 7:37 am
Topic: RE: Not revising to DS
 In the big picture you are not all that far out either.  The DS option won't go away, but your last 50 just may :)

happyteacher
on 7/28/12 6:48 am
Topic: RE: Lunches at work?
 I am all over, but rely on my bento box.  I do very small amounts of various items to help keep it interesting.  Here are some of my go to items:

yogurt (with whey early out)
cheese
deli meat
leftover proteins from dinner
diced fruit and veggie
protein chips (kays naturals parmesean)
protein cookies (kays naturals cinnamon)
special k protein powder for water
soup

happyteacher
on 7/28/12 1:08 am
Topic: RE: I met my goal today!!!!!! Pictures attached!!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 63 views