RNY or VSG

ktgrok
on 3/16/15 12:07 pm

Interesting. I am about to turn 39, and have 85lbs to lose, to put me at a healthy BMI. No wonder I'm having a hard time deciding, I'm right there in between, lol. My surgeon did suggest sleeve for me, after asking if I was active/enjoyed exercise. (I do, but it has gotten hard with my weight so now I just walk or do aquafit classes). 

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 3/16/15 12:29 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Sorry but your rule is bogus. Each person can make the surgery as successful as they want it to be. Malabsorption surgeries aren't for everyone. There is no ideal surgery as your post suggests, & the losing weight quickly?, really dude? Losing & keeping it off is what's important, so if you lose weight slowly & keep it off or quickly & keep it off, in the end you get all the benefits of either surgery.

The surgery that works is the one you can live with & adhere to the lifestyle that goes along with it. Try not to make broad based generalities about who is the ideal candidate for whatever surgery. I, & plenty of vsg'rs have lost weight, a lot of weight & kept it off & no where fits your standards of rules/ideal candidates. 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

cabin111
on 3/16/15 3:22 pm, edited 3/16/15 3:24 pm

This is why I stay on the RNY, Exercise and Fitness, and Men's Forum.  I said a general rule.  Each person is different.  Each case is different.  But over the years who is getting what surgery, those are general concepts I have seen.  15-18 years ago surgeons were experimenting with the RNY surgery for IBS (irritable bowel syndrome).  It was effective for IBS...But guess what??  People lost weight and kept it off!!  My IBS went away...I would have had the surgery just for IBS and not even the weight loss.  Anyways...You look at comorbidities, you look at lifestyle, you look at age, weight, NSAID needs, doctor's advice, your own research and go from there.  I will say one last thing.  Going to the local support group meeting...Those patients that remained at near normal weight (over many years) had stayed away from simple carbs and had some form of exercise program.  Not rocket science and it didn't depend on which surgery they had...

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 3/16/15 6:48 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I responded to your post because you've made a decision to post what you considered what the general rules are, if you can't deal with a response challenging your "rules" then that's sad. You made a blanket statement, only in your response to my post do you mention the various factors that influence a choice of what surgery to go for. 

Unlike your blanket statement earlier about age & weight alone determines what surgery is successful.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/17/15 5:55 am
RNY on 08/05/19

"Your own research" is not a valid starting point for making medical assumptions unless you are a scientist. Whatever observations you may have made are almost certainly limited, biased, and incomplete (from a statistical POV).

Stay on whichever forums you like, but NO forum should be a place for observational lay opinions to be presented as some sort of overarching (unsubstantiated) trend.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

saterry
on 3/17/15 9:34 am - IN
Revision on 10/03/13

It's just like someone that rides the North bus everyday and only sees traffic going South and claims

" The general rule is that most traffic travels South. "

Our perception is not everyone's reality and our observations can not, and should not, be taken as

anything but that......and observation.

SRVG 1997 SW 301   Revision to RNY 10/3/13 SW 247 GW 130  Ht 5'8

Beth Of Fletchair
on 3/17/15 10:16 am
with

This General Rule = Your empirical evidence. It doesn't matter which forum you post it in unless it's the "My thoughts are facts" Forum.

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/17/15 8:58 pm, edited 3/18/15 1:56 am

Recent MEDICAL study suggest IBS may be caused by SIBO.  Treating SiBO may eliminate IBS. 

BTW - i did not have IBS before RNY, but now, a few years post op...i do have IBS...Ironic..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Valerie G.
on 3/16/15 9:47 pm, edited 3/16/15 9:47 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Each person can make the surgery as successful as they want it to be? 

Try that holier-than-thou attitude on the revision and regrets forums with many who followed the rules and adhered to the lifestyle and didn't get the results they needed.  WLS isn't one-size-fits-all.  There is more to selecting a procedure than lifestyle, and you're not even a year post-op.  I'd hardly call you any authority on maintenance. Your opinion can be valid in another 6 or so years.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 3/17/15 3:15 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Really? Holier than thou attitude?, exactly where is that in my post. I responded to the previous poster about his general rules of who should get which wls. His post implies that those who don't follow his rules will not be successful with wls hence my response that wls can be as successful as you want it to be, in spite of your rules. 

The original poster asked an opinion between rny & vsg based on her particular situation, & I responded & posted separately to her.

However this other person had a set of "general" rules & he was very specific about it in which I replied malabsorption surgeries aren't for everyone, perhaps you should look back at the posts & see who is responding to who.

Finally you don't validate my opinion or otherwise, this isn't a newbie vs old timer conversation.

There is more to selecting a procedure other than lifestyle, but if you're not willing to adapt, i.e change your lifestyle to what the surgery requires, i.e you refuse to take your vitamins, you eat a lot of refined carbs etc, then your success rate for that particular surgery will go down. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, whether you agree with it or not.

Again, my response is to the poster & his rules, not the original poster.

Most Active