RNY or VSG

Karen M.
on 3/18/15 2:55 am - Mississauga, Canada

While neither are "good" for your liver, you're absolutely correct - Tylenol ASSAULTS your liver.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Gwen M.
on 3/17/15 11:11 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Alit
on 3/17/15 11:15 am
VSG on 03/27/15

Awesome! Thanks for the info!  I'm really thinking it is a toss up on the GERD getting better or worse for me.  Right now I get heartburn occasionally when I eat crappy food (pizza, BBQ sauce, or spicy food).  As I don't foresee me eating "crappy" food after my surgery, I'm hoping it doesn't get much worse.  

I'm still fairly young (39) and the lifetime of mal-absorbed  nutrients and possible medication seems like a bigger deal to me. I'm still leaning toward VSG.  

As for my surgeon's recommendation.  I respect her and her ability to perform the procedures, but I have literally spent 20 minutes with her.  I know me and my body and my determination to change my life better than anyone. I can see from the forums people are very successful losing large amounts of weight with both vsg and rny.  I also see people gaining back with both.  Thank you all for your input and advice...and your passion :-). 

MsBatt
on 3/17/15 8:22 pm

You need to find out WHY you have GERD. Odds are good that you have a hiatal hernia---better than 50% of obese people do. In most cases, fixing the hernia cures the GERD.

I had horrid reflux pre-op. Most nights I slept sitting up because it was so bad. Since my DS 11+ years ago, no reflux.

Regain is possible with any WLS. Long-term success depends on what changes you can make and stick to, forever. Choose your surgery type based on what changes it will require you to make, that you CAN make. I chose the DS because I was pretty sure I wasn't going to spend the rest of my life never eating ice cream again. (*grin*)

Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 3/18/15 12:59 am

an excellent post - I like how you called it passion! 

threads where people disagree can be very valuable, IMO. and my opinion maybe be worth exactly what you paid for it! 

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

Grim_Traveller
on 3/18/15 1:08 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Not even my 2 cents worth? 

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Maryfishfreak
on 3/19/15 4:28 pm, edited 3/19/15 4:31 pm

Hello!  This is my first post on here!  I have enjoyed reading the lively discusions here!  Differing opinions never hurt anybody in my experience.  I am finished with all preop and ins green light for surgery and then I'm told by my case manager at my surgeons that my antidepressant meds which are very important may very well not dissolve in my pouch even after crushing them due to almost zero stomach acid after RNY gastric bypass surgery.  I am confused and discouraged because now she is recommending the VSG surgery instead.  I am 52 and 5' 4" and I weigh 294, I m also insulin dependent  type 2 diabetic with high blood pressure controlled by meds.  They did an upper GI scope because I had a bleeding ulcer 5 years ago and no new scarring or signs of GERD so was given green light on that.  I had a bad accident 8 years ago and I crushed 5 discs in my back and neck.  I went from being 45  yrs old and 130 pds to almost 300 pds 8 years later.  I have to walk with a cane and only can exercise by swimming ( I used to be a lifeguard and avid snorkle head). Lol  I told you all that info to ask this question; with very hard to move much except mild swimming at the Y 3 times a week I feel I must have the mal absorptive surgery of bypass to lose the weight and for my diabetes to be the same as gone but for absorption of some crucial meds which 1 does not come in a liq or sublingual form I'm thinking I must have the VSG?!   I have only one shot at this tthru Medicare and I very much want to make the right choice.  Anyone who sees my post please feel free to respond!  I am open to any and all tips especially re: absorption of meds after gastric bypas.   Thank u so much! my name is mary, I signed up as fMaryfishfreak as my friends used to tease me over my extensive sal****er aquarium habit!  Oh how I miss my tanks!  God Bless!  

cmspang
on 3/19/15 5:28 pm, edited 3/19/15 5:30 pm

Unfortunately this is way too complex and I would consider myself irresponsible to get involved. I would suggest finding evidence based sources who can legitamately answer these questions. I would address them to your surgeon at the very least. 2ND opinions are always good, and repeating a topic in conversations is ok. Especially if you have confusion or doubts.

Maryfishfreak
on 3/19/15 6:43 pm

Thank u so much for responding.  I too feel my dr has not adequately answered my concerns but I thank you for your response none the less!  

MsBatt
on 3/23/15 2:52 pm

Talk to your pharmacist about your medications. They, better than anyone else, know about where in the gut a specific medication is absorbed, how and where it's broken down so it can be absorbed, etc.

You should also research a third procedure, called the Duodenal Switch. The DS has a Sleeved stomach, plus an intestinal bypass that gives life-long malabsorption of calories, not just vitamins and minerals like the RNY/gastric bypass does. It also has the very best stats (98+%) for resolving diabetes.

Most Active