RNY or VSG

Karen M.
on 3/17/15 12:00 am - Mississauga, Canada

I don't see any "rule" here, general or otherwise. Where is the science to back your "expert" prognosis for others?

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

robinreinhardt
on 3/17/15 4:33 am

Brian,

Thanks for the post. I am older than 50 and had the RNY in December. Doing very well. Have a great day.

Robin

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 3/17/15 5:23 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Can I ask where this "general rule" came from?  Your surgeon?  Medical research?  Your own personal observation?

I'm curious because I was over 50 with a BMI in the 70s and my surgeon gave me the option of either the RNY or the VSG.  According to him and research studies, weight loss at the 2-year mark for either surgery is statistically similar.  You might lose a little more weight initially with the RNY, but long term they are almost identical.

I would consider myself a successful sleeve patient.  In the end, it's not which surgery you choose; it's the lifestyle changes you make AFTER surgery which dictate your success or failure.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

cabin111
on 3/17/15 1:16 pm, edited 3/17/15 1:21 pm

Believe it or not...It did come from my surgeon.  The problem is it was an off the cuff remark he made at the local support group meeting many years ago.  Things are always changing and I wouldn't be shocked if a new surgery replaces all of the common ones now.  I remember about 6 years ago the surgeon walked into our support group meeting and told us they had 2 cases of Beriberi in RNY patients.  I'm going Beriberi...That was like 2-300 years ago.

Beriberi refers to a cluster of symptoms caused primarily by a nutritional deficit in vitamin B1 (thiamine).  The surgeon told the support group to immediately start taking a B-Complex.  We knew about B-12 issues, but this was new.  Empirical data changes.  I don't keep up with it all.  7-8 years ago the sleeve was being done more in Europe than in the US...Now the US has seen the data and surgeons here in the US, Canada, and Mexico are doing more and more sleeves.  5 years ago the ROSE procedure was going to be the save all for revision surgery for RNY...The date proved it wasn't very effective and was mostly put aside.  So no, I do not stay on top of all the current data.  It's been about a years since I've been to the local support group.  I watch the RNY board to keep up on the trends.  Also try and help with support...(every few days someone new will have the signs of a stricture and not know what is going on...Or they can't get in all their water or protein early on..."It's OK...Just do your best").  I don't like the drama here on this board.  I was asked to be a "Friend of OH"...But I declined...Would have had to watch my P's and Q's.  So I be out of here and go live my life.  Rode the bicycle today...Hope to do it tomorrow too...Also mow the lawns.  I've been ballroom dancing with my wife the last few months.  Good exercise.  So, I'll pop back in on this board...But not very often.  Too much drama.  Brian  PS  Speaking of drama...Any of you old timers remember Dian(e)a from the San Jose area and the DS threads?? Now she could make your blood pressure rise.  She called the RNY self mutilation...Now that's drama!!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/17/15 5:52 am
RNY on 08/05/19

No bashing, just a request for scientific studies and non-anecdotal evidence, since I assume you're not a licensed medical professional?

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

happyteacher
on 3/17/15 7:51 am

This is simply not a true rule, but rather an opinion. I am 46, had vsg, lost 150+ with no issues. I had horrible, horrible gerd prior to surgery and none afterwards due to the hiatel hernia getting repaired. These are facts. Rny is a terrific surgery too- I nearly went that route. Go with what the best match for your situation is, as both can get you to goal. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Alit
on 3/17/15 11:14 am
VSG on 03/27/15

Awesome! Thanks for the info!  I'm really thinking it is a toss up on the GERD getting better or worse for me.  Right now I get heartburn occasionally when I eat crappy food (pizza, BBQ sauce, or spicy food).  As I don't foresee me eating "crappy" food after my surgery, I'm hoping it doesn't get much worse.  

I'm still fairly young (39) and the lifetime of mal-absorbed  nutrients and possible medication seems like a bigger deal to me. I'm still leaning toward VSG.  

As for my surgeon's recommendation.  I respect her and her ability to perform the procedures, but I have literally spent 20 minutes with her.  I know me and my body and my determination to change my life better than anyone. I can see from the forums people are very successful losing large amounts of weight with both vsg and rny.  I also see people gaining back with both.  Thank you all for your input and advice...and your passion :-). 

White Dove
on 3/16/15 12:26 pm - Warren, OH

When I had surgery the two choices were lapband and RNY.  My surgeon told me he would suggest lapband to younger people and just figure they could have a second surgery if that did not work for them.  Older people do not have time to experiment for five or more years and so more likely to get a surgeon to recommend the surgery more likely to produce results the first time.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 3/16/15 12:47 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Pick the surgery that works best for you. You can regain with any surgery, you can work around any surgery, so the whole it's easier to regain with one surgery rather than another seems like total bs. A sleeve stretches, a pouch stretches, but the pouch has the added benefit of malabsorption, but the malabsorption of calories does diminish after a couple of years. Also a sleeve or pouch won't stretch to the size of your original stomach.Malabsorption of nutrients is for life, so you have to keep up with your vitamins. Stats for the vsg & rny around the 5 year mark are very close.

Reflux can get worse with the sleeve, I had gerd b4 the sleeve, but my case was very mild & likely caused by the hiatial hernia that I had & was fixed at surgery. Only took a ppi a month b4 surgery & a couple of months after, no problems since.

I picked the vsg because I didn't want the malabsorption issues. I'm not in a race to lose all my weight in the first year, especially since I didn't gain all this weight in a year. It's more important to me to learn the techniques & stay with the lifestyle that vsg surgery requires. For me slow & steady works & I was super morbidly obese when I started & I've lost close to 130lbs & still going strong. Good luck in whatever surgery you choose.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

TimeForMe61
on 3/16/15 4:40 pm - Lancaster, PA
RNY on 01/22/15

I was very much opposed to having RNY and went t the surgeon convinced I was only going to consider VSG. I knew I had GERD, but I didn't know until I had an endoscopy that the GERD had caused Barrett's esophagus which can lead to esophageal cancer. VSG was not an option at that point. After getting 2nd opinion (recommendation was also RNY), I had RNY 7 weeks ago. I'm thrilled!! I was truly terrified but so far doing really well!

Most Active