Day 1- carb detox

Hendramy
on 12/15/10 4:11 am
Where's the "like" button when you need it. 

Denying myself always leads to binging and guilt for me.  I really like this approach!
Amy
HW 324/ SW 303/ CW 172/ GW130            
marriedmom
on 12/15/10 11:43 am - Middleville, MI
Homemade cheese chips??? Wth? How do you make those?!  Share, please!!!
  5'1.5  HW 280 pre-op 270  GW 150  CW 147

P. Poster
on 12/15/10 10:44 pm
 I've never had a whole lot of luck making them, I can never get them crispy...  But, you basically take shredded cheese (flavor of your choice), add some seasonings (again of choice), take a handful and mound it up on a plate lined with parchment paper, and stick it in the microwave or oven and coo****il edges brown and it becomes crispy.  I hope someone will come along with better directions...
Julie R.
on 12/14/10 11:26 pm - Ludington, MI
I'm so with you on this one!    I promised Yorkie I would but have still had a tough time, eating whatever I damn well please.  I do great throughout the day, especially at work, but the minute I get home, I start stuffing the carbs.   Last night, I had pretzels, gumdrops and two pieces of pizza.   Any one of those alone would cause great distress - combine all of them and it's a toxic brew for sure.     The problem is that my weight only tends to vary by a few pounds no matter what I eat these days.....I think I'm buring so many calories working on restoring my husband's house and conducting all these choirs for concerts, that I seem to burn it off.  That's not going to last forever though!    I've been great so far today.....scrambled eggs with cream cheese and bacon for breakfast and just noshed on some nuts.  I have low carb ham/cheese soup brought for lunch and fresh veggies.    I'll try to post tonight, because that's when I tend to get into trouble.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

P. Poster
on 12/14/10 11:30 pm
 Night time is definitely the hardest for me as well.  I guess during the day, even though I am home, I am too busy minding baby bean or taking care of the house/errands/ect that I just don't have the time or cravings much.  After dinner, fughettaboutit...  It's on like Donkey Kong and a non-stop feeding frenzy of crap.  I told my DH he needs to smack that **** outta my hand when he sees me going there.  THANK God, the worst times are when I will have someone around to kick my ass.

I'm prepping today and stocking up on good for me grabs, and sent all the **** into work with DH.  Now, if I can just stick with it, I'll be good :)
Chad M.
on 12/14/10 11:41 pm - Indianapolis, IN
Interesting about having more problems at night. Did you know that one of the patterns of obesity is that people tend to eat less early in the day, often skipping breakfast and having a small or no lunch, then a much bigger dinner, and finally eating throughout the evening?

That was definitely me pre-op. Since I've become aware of it post-op I make a conscious effort to eat a lot during the day. I do not start a day without an obscene amount of bacon and eggs (I know you and bacon are fighting, hope you got that resolved). Pre-op I mostly skipped this meal.

I eat more for lunch now than I did pre-op, no joke. I always take a lunch. Today it is a salami wrap. I also brought yogurt, a protein bar, and a couple of pieces of string cheese that I will spread throughout the day.

When I get home I will have a good-sized dinner, and then other than maybe a pretty small snack, that's it. I won't be hungry, I won't crave anything.

I almost literally shove caleries down my throat during the day. I eat when I'm not hungry (hunger is an ever-changing sensation for me anyway). I just make sure to constantly be fueling my body so that I don't get those cravings to dig into a bunch of junk.
Julie R.
on 12/14/10 11:53 pm - Ludington, MI
I eat all day too....and I've always been an all-day eater...but it's only the carbs I crave at night!   And, oddly enough, I was never a night eater pre-op.    My mom always was - once the sun went down, her eating patterns escalated.    Now, that's me - but just carbs.   I'm not even hungry for dinner - only carbs!  Grrrrrr.........
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

P. Poster
on 12/14/10 11:56 pm
 I always wondered if that was a common trend among the obese- eating at night.  Preop I definitely skipped breakfast, and most times lunch as well.  And then from dinner on, it was a feeding frenzy.  That trend has continued, to some degree.  I now have a protein shake for breakfast, and then a mid-morning snack, lunch, and usually two afternoon snacks, then dinner.  But, I can still eat my way all the way to bedtime...  I'm not hungry then, I just want to eat and the cravings are intense!  Old habits die hard I guess.  I'm thinking my noshing till bedtime wouldn't be a problem, as long as I made it all protein & fat.  So I'm going to try doing that- pepperoni chips or pork rinds with dip, cheese & sausage, ect.  

I need to change my mindset to eating to live, not living to eat; and that food is fuel, not pleasure or an emotional bandaid.  I think if I can stick to those things, I will be much better served.  I've also noticed, that if I can avoid carbs (ALL carbs, even low carb whole grain options) all day, I don't want them at night- so they are definitely a carbs beget carbs deal.  

Just more proof that this DS journey is an ongoing learning process.  At least I am learning these things about myself NOW, while I still have the awesome newbie DS powers behind me, and not 3 years out when I am looking at regain.  THAT is a true benefit for sure.
Mommy2006
on 12/15/10 7:31 am
 That is/was me to a T! I am trying so hard to kick that. I used to BARELY eat 'til night. I could wake up and go 8-10 hours without eating *anything* when I was in college. By the time I got home I ate a huge meal and snacked before bed. I didn't know then how bad it was for me. But I do now, and I am trying so hard to be better about breakfast.

Bacon dislikes me but I LOVE eggs. I ordered omelettes from Schwans for the days we're running late. :D

P. Poster
on 12/15/10 7:35 am
 I keep some frozen Jimmy Dean omelets in the house at all times, just in case.  They are just the right size and pretty tasty!
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 333 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 799 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 268 views