Day 1- carb detox

P. Poster
on 12/14/10 11:25 pm
 YAY!  So there is light!  Your suggestions sound yummy, I'm working on making some today :)  Thanks Yorkie, it helps to know I'm not alone!
MollyBH
on 12/15/10 3:54 am - Appomattox, VA

Hi Yorkie.  I also am a nighttime eater.  I love dips.  What kind of hot dips do you make?  I made a crab dip last week and also the Mexican dip with cream cheese, salsa, refried beans and cheese.  Do you have other ideas?  Please share. Thanks.

Molly

HW 255  SW 247  CW 155  GW 150

yorkieGal
on 12/16/10 1:06 am - Clermont, FL
I make a hot crab and shrimp dip, the buffalo chicken dip (its has done the rounds on the board but I dont have it on my computer at work - someone can chime in with it- its basically cream cheese, shredded rotisserie chicken, hot sauce and shredded cheese baked at 400 till bubbly), a dip with cream cheese, refried beans and salsa topped with more shredded cheese. I use pork rinds as I love em!
I often just flavor some sour cream with a few spoons of the pretzel dipping sauces I get from a local shop, am quite into the onion blossom one at the moment.
Yorkie xx

Had a band in 2005 at 280lbs, had band removed and DS done on Jan 22nd 08 at 220lbs in Spain, now 135lbs and a size 4!! Happy as a Clam!!Dontcha love the DS? It's the best tool around!!                

(deactivated member)
on 12/14/10 10:40 pm
Maybe you need more protein than the 100 your getting. More protein should help curb your cravings for sweets. Also, get rid of the junk in your house. Out of sight, out of mind. Don't use the "but I have kids excuse" either; they need to eat healthy too.  Pack your fridge and cabinets with DS healthy go to snacks like protein bars, nuts, jerky, lunch meats, cheeses, yogurt, cottage cheese, etc. Get back to the basics, stay there and most importantly, remember why you had the DS in the first place.
P. Poster
on 12/14/10 11:24 pm
 The worst part?  I would NEVER feed this crap to my kid.  She is LUCKY to get a cookie, or piece of candy once a week...  So, there is no excuse.  I've got all the DS good stuff, it just doesn't appeal to me and I'm bored with it....  But, I just need to get over that.  I may not LIKE what I'm eating, but that shouldn't matter- I need to be eating to live, not living to eat.  I'm upping my protein for sure :)  Thanks for the tips!
nphelps4565
on 12/14/10 10:50 pm - Belleville, MI
I can sympathize with you on this.  Before the DS I could live on carbs alone. Forget meat, even sweets, I just want a gigantic bowl of pasta!!!

I think that as my eating gets more flexible, carbs are going to be a big issue for me and that is scary.  Why do I have such an addiction to them! They make me feel stuffed and bloated and gross and yet I worship them 

Do it for me Bean! Show me that you can kick the carb monster square in the ass!!!
Nicole
                                            Julie R. is my Angel

P. Poster
on 12/14/10 11:21 pm
 Being Italian, pasta was my life.  It was in most meals.  It has been HARD for me to learn to cook without pasta.  But, I'm getting better, and I will use Dreamfields every once in a while if there just isn't something I can make without the pasta.  I know exactly what you mean about the bloating and gross...  Ugh!  I'll put you on my "I can do this" list!  
Renee2007
on 12/14/10 11:02 pm - Central, FL
Take whatever you have left in the house and dump it in the garbage and pour coffee grounds on top or squirt ketchup all over it. That way you're not tempted to trash pick...LOL  Then your biggest defense is simply to not buy it. If it's not there you can't eat it. I have always said low carbing starts at the grocery store.

Make sure you have lots of easy to grab protein snacks on hand. I love to do the ham & cream cheese roll-ups with a pickle spear included. I have been making the low carb pizzas on the low carb tortillas. Load it up with all your favorite toppings. So quick and easy and tastes so good. Eat more protein than 100g...it will keep you full longer and you'll have less room for carbs.

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

P. Poster
on 12/14/10 11:19 pm
 I sent the cookies and crap with DH to work today, so the house is clean.  The thing is, I DON'T buy this crap!  It comes in from outside sources...  The cookies came from my mother after our Holiday baking extravaganza (which was SUPPOSED to be for the Holiday party she is hosting).  The pizza was my DH's way of "helping out by making dinner" because I had a migraine...  Either the people in my life don't understand my eating plan, or they are sabotaging me because they are concerned (this is likely the case with my mother- she is always making comments that I am getting too thin).  I can't blame them though, I CHOOSE to accept the things and put them in my mouth.  This is what I need to change.  I need to learn to say "no" and not worry about hurting feelings.

So, no more excuses.  My fridge is stocked with quick grab stuff, and I'm preparing more things today (egg salad, big batch of bacon, dips and a HUGE corned beef roast) so I can just nosh on those.  I've already had two shakes today, and plan on at least one more- so I am definitely upping my protein.  Thanks for the tips!
bookfaerie
on 12/15/10 2:58 am
 One reason I never reached SMO (my family is and I was 100 pounds as a toddler/preschooler) is because I learned a few tricks that might help you with this if cold turkey isn't working for you. 

"Yes after" I could eat whatever I wanted after I drank a full glass of water, ate an apple, and had a fiber wafer (for the DS this could be yes after I eat a serving of Fage, my protein drink, etc.) Often I wouldn't even want whatever it was I thought I wanted "after". But just knowing I could gave me permission not to.

"Yes half" I didn't care if I had to throw it away, share it with the dog, or if it called my name from the fridge. I was allowed to eat whatever I wanted so long as it was a half portion. Knowing I could eat half that piece of decadent cheesecake helped me not begrudge the other half.

"Yes later" The 20 minute wait really helped me. It clarified whether I really wanted something or whether it was a boredom, right now kind of thing.

"Yes substitute" Sometimes the heated up Chocolate vita top with cake batter golden spoon and sugar/fat free fudge really was enough to substitute for that brownie thing from 31 flavors. It made me feel "bad" even when I wasn't really being all that bad. 

Anyway, those tricks really helped me.  Hope they help you on your kick the carb journey. Cheesecake instead of donuts, dark chocolate covered almonds instead of Reese's pb cups, Pork rinds and homemade cheese chips instead of doritos... 

"Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes genius." Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"What your heart thinks is great, is great. The soul's emphasis is always right." Ralph Waldo Emerson    
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 333 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 799 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 268 views