Upcoming DS surgery dates

Member Services
on 5/9/13 12:18 am - Irvine, CA

Hello Future DS'ers   

Fade2pink has volunteered to do the DS surgery calendars.  If you would like to be added please contact Fade2pink @ http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/fade2pink/ 

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tbNl3hVR2H2oqmmW_-aku dg&output=html

Thank you for helping with the surgery dates.  

Archived #1
Archived #2
Archived #3
Archived #4

Archived #5

Thank you,
ObesityHelp

Onelifetolive
on 9/13/12 8:45 am - TX
Thanks fade to pink my DS is scheduled for 10/1/2012 with Dr. Wade Barker
Shrinking_Kathy
on 10/3/12 2:34 pm - Mesquite, TX
(deactivated member)
on 10/7/12 7:17 am - Ontario, CA
RNY on 05/07/07 with
Please add my surgery date, October 26 with Dr Steven Simper.
NewLife2013
on 1/6/13 11:57 am

Hello how is everything going? I had my DS with Dr Hodges 12/27 who is in Dr Barkers office. Happy New Year!

BJHWildcat
on 1/29/13 2:54 am - Plano, TX

Any advice newlife1213?

NewLife2013
on 2/1/13 11:51 pm

Sure but remember it's only my experience. :)   I'll share a couple things I didn't realize.  We definitely don't know what we don't know.

I didn't expect my taste buds to be completely whacked for a few weeks. The first week was the worst, then it gradually got better. I am only 5.5 weeks out but that part seems better.   Don't stock up on shake mix because you don't know what will taste tolerable after surgery. I couldn't even stand the taste of a sugar free popsicle at the hospital. It tasted like syrup.  If you already drink shakes like I did...hang on to the mix because your taste buds hopefully will return to normal.  Hang in there. It's trial and error really.

I had a hiatal hernia repair with mine so I am still on mostly liquids.  It is very tough mentally.  I am not hungry but I want to eat something as opposed to drink it.  When food started smelling good again I knew my taste buds would come around.   Go VERY slow when you try things.  Tiny bites...even sip your water at first. That was hard for me because I was used to guzzling water. (I can't guzzle now but it is better than just sips)   I have to see if it will go down or if I'm going to have a problem.  For example, greek yogurt is just too thick for me even when I added water. If I add it to a shake it's way too thick and I can't get it down.  This is probably just me with the hernia repair. They said it takes time for swelling to go down and everything to relax. 

If I start to feel some tightness in my chest (assuming this is where that repair is and the entry to my stomach) I better stop or I will have a huge problem. I've had things get caught and I start getting this slimy spit and usually end up throwing up.  I know several people who never threw up with this surgery so that's the good news. Getting something caught (oddly for me it sometimes was just soup or shake since i'm not really eating) is an obvious sign I can't handle it yet.  I've tried eggs for example, no can do.  So I backed off to drinking things I know I can get down for now because my protein intake was too low.  I like nectar fuzzy navel, mixed in water which is also helping with my water. It's thin and just tastes like sunny d to me.

Everyone talks about the gas. I went and bought 2 bottles of devrom and poopourri and 2 bottles of the dove body spray (they really do help with odor in your bathroom at home.) I have hardly used any of it.  I had it terribly at first and some diarrhea but they put me on a round of flagyl and it knocked it right out. The antibiotic they gave me in the hospital caused me to get oral thrush. My advice on that...get something for it STAT. I didn't and it took longer to get rid of.  Yogurt seems to help, but none of the home remedies worked for me.

Take your prilosec religiously. It really helps. I also had gurgling. Meaning I could take a sip of water and within 3-4 seconds I could hear gurgling like water going down a drain.  It gets better. (I know, I got so sick of hearing...that's normal it gets better! lol)

There was a lot of pain the first week or two, at least for me. I wish I'd bought a recliner to sleep in. I am not a back sleeper so I didn't sleep well for a few weeks. Once I could sleep on my side without pain it was much better. I'll be honest, I wondered what the heck I had done for a month.  I felt terrible so it was hard to be enthusiastic about dropping 10 lbs a week. I am feeling a lot better mentally now. I still want to eat dang it! lol  I don't even care if it's small amounts I would like to be able to get it down.  A gal who is 2.5 yrs post op DS stopped by my desk yesterday and she was encouraging. She's still 150 lbs size 6 and stood there eating food like normal. She says "it's gets better ! Hang in there."  :-)

Be kind to yourself and rest often. You will get worn out quickly and just need to rebuild your strength. If there is anything else I can help with please do not hesitate to ask. I know the first month is hard.

HW 360 * SW 318 * CW 275 * GW 145 * Surgery 12/27/12 - On the way to the new me!

BJHWildcat
on 2/2/13 8:41 am - Plano, TX

Thank you so much for your candid reply.  I really appreciate it.  I am very excited about the surgery and will try and to keep in mind things will get better after a while. 

BJHWildcat
on 1/29/13 2:52 am - Plano, TX

How you doing Onelifetolive?  I am using Dr. Hodges and mine is scheduled form March 12.

julanie
on 9/13/12 2:50 pm - Arlington, TX
DS on 09/17/12
when I click on that link, there's no current information for people having surgery . . . it's all older months.  is there another link?  I'm Ok with not being on the sheet, but it doesn't look very up to date . . .

Julanie

Garden Fairy in training, according to my daughter
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 347 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 804 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 270 views