HELP! I hate water anymore!

ohlordyp
on 2/9/12 11:33 am - AZ
 I am having a lot of trouble drinking water. I used to drink about a gallon of water a day, but I can not hardly swallow it now. What all goes towards your daily intake of water?
Priscilla     
Ellen J.
on 2/9/12 11:43 am - Adrian, PA
 I have the same problem. I used to love water but now it gags me. 

My Dr. told me any calorie free drink will work. I like the Mio stuff you add to water. Decaf tea will work. Vitamin water Zero is good. Any of the Crystal Light flavors are good although some of them have a few calories per serving but it's very minimal, like maybe 5 calories per serving. Sugar free popcicles are considered fluid, too.

Good luck!! 
poet_kelly
on 2/9/12 11:44 am - OH
All liquids, with the possible exception of caffeinated beverages; some people count those, some don't.

So in addition to plain water, drinks like crystal light, skim milk, soy milk, protein shakes, coffee, tea (decaf if you prefer, hot or iced), herbal tea, sugar free hot chocolate, juice (which should be in moderation if at all due to the calories and sugar content), along with jello and popsicles.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

iowa_missie74
on 2/9/12 11:45 am - IA
When I was diabetic, before the surgery I couldn't get enough water, now that I'm not diabetic I have a hard time too. I have asked this same question. Personally what I do is drink Powerade zero. Other suggestions to me as far as getting in fluids were broth, coffee, tea, sf popsicles, sf jello, trying to add fruit slices to your water...have you tried crystal light? You could also put a splash of fruit juice in your water. Hope you can get your water in!

ohlordyp
on 2/9/12 11:51 am - AZ
 Thanks for all the input. I have tried some of the powder additives to the water but most of the flavors strangle me and I don't know if that is from the damage to my vocal cords from my surgery. I do drink a lot of skim milk, so maybe I am doing okay with the milk I do drink. Sometimes I get concerned because of the calories when I drink a lot of milk. 
Priscilla     
Jenspunky
on 2/9/12 12:00 pm
RNY on 01/16/12

I just spoke w/my nutritionist yesterday about this.  She told me that a lot of people have problems with plain water after RNY.  She said sodium can really help with it, and suggested adding about 4 or 5 oz of gatorade to a bottle of 20 oz water (after pouring some water out) and said that would go down much easier.

I've found this drink that really helps me.  It's called "Honest Kids", it comes in pouches, and is an organic drink w/no high fructose corn syrup.  It has 40 cals and 10g sugar per pouch.  It's really been helping me stay hydrated.  I drink about 4 or 5 a day, which is a lot, I know, but it helped me get myself re-hydrated.  Before these I was desperately thirsty all day, with no way of quenching it.  I had a dry mouth with a film at the top of my mouth constantly.  Until my stomach heals more and tolerates plain water, I will continue these drinks.

~Jenna 
RNY 1/16/12

LJ1972
on 2/9/12 12:02 pm - FL
for a few weeks I had trouble... felt like water just crashed through the pouch and slammed into my intestines. Changing it up with Mio or frozen fruit bits, drinking powerade zero, broth, skim milk --- use SF popsicles. It got better for me - I can drink any water except if it is room temp

COURAGE TO START, STRENGTH TO ENDURE, RESOLVE TO FINISH 
                              HW 353 SW 317 Original GW 180  Current Wt  170 
                               First 5k 59:18; 5k PR 32:06;  1st 10k 1:20:27; PR 1:08:36
                                                    1st Half Marathon 2:48

Pensacola Double Bridge Run 15k- 1:47:34
                                                  Three Sprint Triathlons

(deactivated member)
on 2/9/12 12:16 pm - Boston, MA
I used to only drink water pre op... 11 months post op and I still can't drink it.  This is what I drink every single day
bfast-8oz international coffee
snack-8 oz diet snapple iced tea
after lunch-8oz international coffee
after dinner-12 oz click
night-8 oz international coffee

sometimes I have one more snapple or one more coffee.. every drink I have has caffeine and I'm doing just fine!  I do hope the water thing gets better I hate all artificial sugar things (except the diet snapple iced tea) I have tried putting things in my water all of them gross me out. Hopefully one day I'll be able to drink water again, I miss it!

poet_kelly
on 2/9/12 4:42 pm - OH
That's all the liquid you get in a typical day?  44 oz?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

flyingwoman
on 2/9/12 12:31 pm
It's the acid /base of the water that affects our ability to tolerate it post-op. Try adding something acidic: lemon or lime juice, or something with citric acid, like crystal light.

Also try water in different temperatures. Some people find it easier to go down when hot or cold or lukewarm.
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 306 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 351 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 308 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 306 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 76 views
Recent Topics