i hope this isnt a silly question?

Nancy S.
on 8/19/12 9:29 pm
first i just want to say thanks to everyone who post, I get more and more anxious for my day to come hopefully sometime in October. But I have a silly question, How does your body know when to stop loosing weight, is it because you start eating some carbs? I know right , it could be a dumb question but just wondering about the unknown :)
tripmom02
on 8/19/12 9:33 pm - NJ
 Actually it isn't a silly question at all, some people DO have trouble stopping the weight loss. I am not one of them. When I hit the weight I wanted to be at I adjusted my calories until the weight loss stopped, now I weigh myself ever morning and depending on where I am in the range and what kind of exercise I am doing I adjust accordingly and I have been able to stay within my current 5 pound range that I set for myself fairly easily. 

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

acbbrown
on 8/19/12 9:33 pm - Granada Hills, CA
 For most of us, our bodies wont really be the one dictating when we are done losing - our choices will. I for one will never untintentionally and effortlessly lose weight. I'm 14 months out trying my hardest to get the last few lbs off. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Nancy S.
on 8/19/12 10:07 pm
Ok thanks for the peace of mind , I wont have to worry about that one then.
jacreasy
on 8/20/12 1:26 am
VSG on 04/23/12
 I'm just about 4 months post-op and was wondering the same thing lol... There is never a stupid question! Good Luck you will do great.  I have lost 80.6+ lbs so far

(VSG)  HW, 346 SW, 341 CW 176.2 GW, 165  kiss

rhearob
on 8/20/12 5:34 am - TN
 Its not a silly question at all.  Its something we all go through.  A big part of this journey is learning to listen to your body.  After surgery, that starts with learning how to listen to your new stomach for simple clues about when you are full, when you are hungry, etc.

As you start moving through, you learn to listen for more subtle clues, when you need to exercise, when you need to up your exercise, when you need to NOT exercise.  Oddly, that last one can be hard to miss.

As you near goal, your body will tell you in other ways.  Goal is not something very easily defined or quantitative.  That was really hard for me, as an engineer, to grasp.  I was looking for a number, a mark on a wall.  Everyone kept telling me, you will know and I kept wondering "How?".  I compared it to telling a teenager that they'd know when the right time for an adult relationship was.  It really is the same kind of thing, you want it more than anything and feel like you'll bust with anticipation.  When it happens, it just sort of happens.

My body told me by killing my weight loss.  I got to a point where on 600 calories a day I was not losing.  No matter how much I worked out, my body just said uh-uh - nope, not losing any more.  I would tpically lose at least 11 pounds a month.  In July I lost maybe 1 until I decided OK, I'm done.  Then I lost 5 more while upping my calories.  I had upped my goal by 5 pounds when I decided to stop losing, and then got to my original number anyway.

The point of this, really?  Don't worry about goal and whether you'll stop losing right now.  Focus on the weight loss, learning accountability and your new eating and exercise habits.  Focus on getting a healthy realtionship with yourself and food.  You'll get to goal, and you'll know when its time to stop losing.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Nancy S.
on 8/21/12 10:09 pm
well said, Thank you I needed that.
You give me inspiration, I just love this site and all the people here.
I am so ready, but scared too.

Nancy
tinamarie47
on 8/20/12 6:32 am - Hot Springs, SD
Not a stupid question at all...for me, once I reached 150# my body kind of settled into a comfort zone. I fluctuate +- 2-3 # every month...we gals just do that more so many different reasons. You know...I don't have to fill in the blanks.  I pay closer attention to how my clothes fit and not what the number on the scale says. Your body will adjust to the right weight for you to maintain easily. Keep rockin' it!

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.   Phil: 4:13    View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com
Marie M.
on 8/21/12 6:02 am - PA
First of all, good luck with your upcoming surgery!
Secondly, your question is NOT stupid and one that I asked a few months ago when I hit goal.  I am now about 12 lbs under goal and am going to stop losing when I hit 130 lbs.  Strange as this sounds, I am beginning to look too skinny 
The vets told me to increase by 100 calories/wee****il I get to a point where I stop losing and then hang there. I will also increase my carbs accordingly (I low carb and stay between 20-30/day).   At 11 months out, I am still losing, albeit much more slowly (1-1.5 lbs/week). 

Age: 50    Ht: 5' 3.5"    SW: 261   BMI: 45.5    CW: 119.4   BMI: 20.8   Goal in 9.5 months   (23.6  lbs below goal)   Total lost:  141.6 lbs   Inches lost:  84.25"
  Month one: 22.2 lbs;  Month 2:  17.4 lbs;   Month 3: 11 lbs;  Month 4: 13 lbs;  Month 5: 11.4 lbs;  Month 6: 9.2 lbs;   Month 7: 13.2 lbs;  Month 8: 9 lbs;  Month 9: 10.2 lbs;   Month 10:  3.6 lbs:   Month 11:   7.6 lbs   Month 12:  5.8 lbs                                    

Nancy S.
on 8/21/12 10:12 pm
Can you believe what you just said: too skinny, Wow i cant even imagine that.Thank for your reply, I just get so nervous, But i know this is the right choice for me. Good luck and Wow congratulations!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 372 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 413 views