OH Recipes for Success: Warm Soups and StewsOctober 12, 2012
RECIPES FOR SUCCESS: Warm Soups and Stews to Comfort the WLS Soul
Makes eight 1 cup servings
This soup is filling and so easy. It doesn’t take hours to simmer, but can be on the table in 50 minutes! Veggie Version: Use vegetarian meatballs.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 6 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning herb mix
- One 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- One 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 2 cups or more of chunks of leftover meatloaf OR prepared meatballs (24 regular-sized)
- One 15-ounce can Cannellini or Great Northern Beans, drained
- One 14-ounce can Italian green beans, drained
- 1/2 cup small shell pasta – optional
- In large saucepan, over medium-low heat, sauté onion, garlic, carrots, celery, and zucchini in olive oil until onions are soft and transparent.
- Add cabbage, broth, seasonings, tomatoes, and tomato paste. (If using meatballs instead of meatloaf, add them here.) Allow to simmer over medium-low heat until vegetables are tender.
- Add Cannellini beans, green beans, and pasta. Cook until pasta is tender.
- Carefully stir in meatloaf and gently heat through. Serve with shredded parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.
Nutritional Facts Per Serving
(With pasta) Per Serving: Calories 298; Protein 16 grams; Total Fat 14 grams; Carbs 29 grams
(Without pasta) Per Serving: Calories 273; Protein 15 grams; Total Fat 14 grams; Carbs 24 grams
White Chicken Chili
It’s as spicy as you want it and full of protein-packed chicken and fiber-ful beans. For a vegetarian version: Use vegetable broth and chopped Morningstar grilled chicken patties or meal-starter chicken strips.
Makes twelve 1-cup servings
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 2 tablespoon olive oil
• Two 15-ounce cans Cannellini or white beans, drained
• 2 tablespoons flour
• 1 cup corn
• 1 teaspoon cumin
• 4 cups diced, cooked chicken or turkey (or veggie: Morningstar chicken product – see note above)
• Two 14.5-ounce cans chicken or vegetable broth
• One 4.5-ounce can diced green chilies
• 1-3 teaspoons chili powder (dash of cayenne,too, if you want!)
• 1/2 teaspoon oregano
• Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat until onion is tender.
- Puree one can of drained beans and set aside.
- Stir the flour into the onion mixture and cook for one minute.
- Add chicken, corn, chilies, broth, cumin, chili powder, oregano, beans, reserved bean puree, and one cup water.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
Nutritional Facts Per Serving
Per Serving: Calories 169; Protein 16 grams; Fat 7 grams; Carbs 10 grams
You can view more member recipes in the OH Recipe Forum here.
ABOUT THE AUTHORLinda Farnsworth had RNY in 2004 and lost 208 pounds. Linda loves to cook and create recipes, so she was concerned with her new way of life that hobby would be behind her. On her blog, Eating Well...Living Thin, you will find something that everyone you cook for will love plus serving suggestions. She now believes healthy eating CAN include comfort food!
Read more articles by Linda!
|Recipe Disclaimer: If you have specific dietary restrictions, allergies or a nutrition plan that you are following, make sure to read the ingredient list prior to consumption. All information on ObesityHelp.com is intended for informational purposes only. The information is not intended to be a replacement or substitute for consultation with a qualified medical professional. Please contact a medical professional with any questions and concerns.|