TO Share Or NOT to share.... that is the question

monalisa_mark
on 8/18/09 3:35 pm, edited 8/18/09 3:42 pm - St. Joseph, MO
I am very undecided what I am going to say or do about sharing that I had surgery.  Of course all those close to me know, but when I go back to school ( I am in nursing school) and face my classmate whom I have spent wayyyy to many hours with what I am going to say as they notice. 
I want to share because it is easier then lying, and I think some will be very supportive, some will say nothing and only a few will chatter behind my back (don't care for them anyhow... I am 38 not 18) but then part of me is ashamed I needed this, but understand fully I NEEDED THIS.  NO OTHER CHOICE was right for me.

Thoughts????

KatieAnn
on 8/19/09 12:51 am - Oshkosh, WI
Luckily the weight loss will only be a couple of pounds a week. I've been going to W W long enough to know that 2 lbs a week is considered a healthy loss. I plan to tell them that I'm eating smaller portions and exercising 5 days a week. It's the absolute truth!
KatieAnn 
namest
on 8/20/09 2:38 am - Canada
same here. I told a couple people when i was thinking about it and got negative responses so don't plan to tell people now. i have just told my husband, BF and mom.  I have been losingn slowing over the past year prior to surgery and working out 6 days a week so my continuing to lose should not be any big suprise for anyone, it will just be more consistant and less erratic, I don't think its anyones business but mine and your right you are eating less and exercising and that is the truth!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wfBwKM5/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wfBwKM5/s-weight.png[/img]
[/url]

redzhope
on 8/19/09 4:36 am
Lap Band on 08/27/09 with
I think for every person you ask the answer you receive will be very individual.

I happen to be an open person and agree with you that it is just easier to tell the truth.

That being said, if I sensed someone was asking me and they were going to be negative I would also say diet and exercise.

Ultimately, for myself, I view my obesity as a treatable illness and I am 100% comfortable with the choice I am making-to be open about having the Lapband.

The only thing that would stop me from telling people is my fear of failure and being watched but maybe that's a good thing because I will have the onus of not looking like a jerk to them and myself.

Whatever you decide just feel comfortable with it. I have a friend who's had RNY and will swear till her death bed that she didn't.

All the best!

Sharon

socalrockabillygirl
on 8/31/09 9:06 am
RNY on 08/06/09 with
I am telling most people.  There is only one co-worker so far that I felt uncomfortable sharing with.  I just think about how laughable Star Jones was when she would not admit to having the surgery.  I feel better about being open about it but am not going to post signs or talk to people that I know will be annoying about it.  Surprisingly, so far most people have just told me that I look rested and well, like summer agreed with me (I am a teacher).   My big question is how much I am going to share with my students as they are sure to comment on the weight loss.
monalisa_mark
on 8/31/09 2:20 pm - St. Joseph, MO
Well you can go 2 ways with this, my children (7,9,11) I have used this as an educational opportunity, with obesity at an all time high in America you can talk about how excess fuel or poorly chosen fuel can stop a car....etc.  Also you can talk about how to be sensitive to people of size.  There is a great children's training called IALAC.. I am loving and capable and talks about how our words hurt.
The other way is you can just say that you are watching your food choices because you want to take care of you, so that you can be a stronger and better teacher.

There are my thoughts.....Mona

monalisa_mark
on 9/19/09 8:59 am - St. Joseph, MO
I have decided to share and have found the positive support amazing.  People I thought wouldn't care or would be critical have been the most excited!!

So in hindsight I say no worries tell those you feel comfortable with when the moment presents itself.

KatieAnn
on 9/24/09 12:58 am - Oshkosh, WI
Another thought to consider - once you tell anyone, you lose the ability to control who knows and who doesn't. The news will take legs and people who barely know your name will suddenly become experts on your medical best interest

Most Active
Recent Topics
Terrified of gaining weight back
Jilly_Bean · 2 replies · 1094 views
Almost 3 years out
pearls92 · 2 replies · 1067 views
I'm around
InkdSpEdTchr · 2 replies · 887 views
My Dr. Appointment
3jsmom · 1 replies · 848 views