Recent Posts

cedar57
on 12/13/03 2:50 am - Yukon, OK
Topic: 2 months Post-op and only one tiny problem
Just want to pass along how I spend my Friday evening. I ate two bites of a hamburger on Thursday night at 10 pm, and had terrible "indigestion" for the next 16 hours. I called my surgeon's nurse at 2:30 pm from work, and told her I was hurting pretty badly. She told me to go to the ER because I most likely had a blockage. Welllll, it was absolutely awful. By the time I got to the ER, I couldn't even swallow my own saliva! I ended up having to be anesthetized and have a procedure by a GI doctor to remove the blockage. The bread had wrapped around the meat and blocked my opening to my small intestine. Everything I swallowed then backed up. I will never eat white bread with meat again as long as I live! This was an excruciatingly painful lesson to learn and I just wanted to pass it on to others. White bread can form "bread balls" in your pouch and block the new opening to the small intestine. The pain got to the point of approximately 9 on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the worst. My advice is: JUST SAY NO TO WHITE BREAD! LOL.
sharon001
on 12/12/03 3:21 am - WI
Topic: RE: Yea Yea Yea
Awesome! Isn't life grand? Sharon of Minnesota
sharon001
on 12/12/03 3:20 am - WI
Topic: RE: What if it doesnt work!
Also -- I stopped losing weight for 3 weeks. I have started losing again. Give it some time. According to my Dr. he says that we tend to lose a lot of water weight in the beginning and then our body gains some of the water weight back and LOSES some "real" weight. It may seem like a plateau but it probably really isn't. He says to go by how your clothes are fitting and how you feel. Don't worry Nancy -- I think everything sounds normal. I came across a really interesting document called "Pouch Rules for Dummies". Have you read that yet? It talks about the differences in pouch sizes from 3oz to 9oz and that there is not a significant difference in the amount of weight lost between either. I have the document in a Word file. Let me know if you haven't read it and I will paste it into an email for you! Sharon of Minnesota
bearbabe
on 12/11/03 1:12 pm - Newburgh, IN
Topic: RE: Cure for puking all the time
I've been puking for about 3 weeks on most foods. I went today and had a scope done and sure enough, that was the problem. The opening was the size of a pin hole. I have to be on liquids for 2 days then can start eating again. I'm actually scared to start eating because of the great weight loss I've had, I'm affraid I will gain some back when I can eat again, but I'm sure getting some protein and food in my system will make me feel better. Marilyn -48
shbama
on 12/11/03 8:20 am - Brandon, Fl
Topic: RE: 2 Months Post op
WOW Congratulations. 65 lbs is a lot. I have lost 46lbs and feel great. Happy Holidays.
sharon001
on 12/11/03 5:32 am - WI
I had my 6 week check up today. I thought for sure I had lost 50 pounds (according to the scale at work). Turns out I have only lost 34. I am a little disapointed. But then I feel so much better so 34 must be good? Right? I am going to up my exercise (I just started on Monday) and see if I can jump start this weight loss thing! I don't know though -- I agree this is enough to totally freak me out!
sharon001
on 12/11/03 5:28 am - WI
Congratulations to you! I thought I had lost at least 50 pounds! Turns out I have only lost 34 (feels like 50!). I love WLS!!
Greattobe B.
on 12/11/03 5:09 am - Somewhere, Co
Nicole, Congrats on your progress. You are doing awesome girl. What is your secret to loosing so much so quickly. I have lost 50lbs since 10-02-03, I am so thrilled. I went from a size 24-26 to 18. I don't remember the last time I saw 18. Many blessings to you on your journey. Have a Blessed Christmas.
NSLOMKA
on 12/11/03 4:43 am - WALKERTOWN, NC
Topic: 2 Months Post op
It seems like forever before the surgery and then afterward it flys by. I am down 65 lbs, from a BMI of 60 to 48. WOO HOO. When asked if it is worth it, after the kidneystones, nausea, vommitting, and uncertainty, ABSOLUTLY!! I could stop lossing today and it would have been worth all of it. Dr. Fernandez and his group have been awsome, there every step of the way. They never make you feel "dingy" for asking a question or needing advice. Congrats to the rest of the October Crowd with their success. Nicole
Jackie P.
on 12/11/03 12:27 am - College Station, TX
Nancy, I'm right there with you. From what I read most people go through this feeling of "what if it won't work?". I think I can eat more than I should be able to, but compared to what I ate before... OMG, how can I not be losing weight? I have only lost 25 lbs since the day of surgery... 32 total (7 the week before). When I do the weigt loss projection charts.. it says that I may only get to 213 if I continue to lose at this rate. That is depressing. 213 from 310 is good, but I'm not satisfied with the rate that I'm losing. I'm keeping track of my foods on fitday.com and I'll be taking it to the doc and nutritionist for advice. Good Luck, Jackie
Most Active
Recent Topics